Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
1) I'm not "arguing". This is a conversation. Or at least, I thought it was.

2) I was merely questioning your post, which seemed to imply that these people are protesting specifically for themselves. I found this interpretation to be an odd one, and indicated to me that you actually misunderstood both their motivations and cause.

They are doing it for other people. Specifically, other black people who are less fortunate than them who may be victims of police brutality or mistreatment. As mentioned above, this concept is called empathy.

I have literally no idea where you are getting that this about black people having stuff.
If you want to insist opportunity equates to STUFF, go for it. I'm certainly not going to try to fix that kind of stupid.

And btw, blacks aren't subjected to any more brutality or mistreatment than anybody else. Stop breaking the damned law if you don't want the cops in your face. Apparently, you're unaware that in 99.99% of the newsworthy incidents over the last, say, 5 years, the police were vindicated.

And as I suspected, you can't name one single opportunity or thing I can have that blacks can't have.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
I can understand both sides. I personally wouldn't mind if they eliminated it from sporting events but until they do, we have a right to stop watching if players turn the field into a place for political protest, especially if the reasoning for the protesting is (in my opinion) not all that valid. Try doing what they did in another country and see how far they get... They have a lot to be thankful for living here.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
If you want to insist opportunity equates to STUFF, go for it. I'm certainly not going to try to fix that kind of stupid.

And btw, blacks aren't subjected to any more brutality or mistreatment than anybody else. Stop breaking the damned law if you don't want the cops in your face. Apparently, you're unaware that in 99.99% of the newsworthy incidents over the last, say, 5 years, the police were vindicated.

And as I suspected, you can't name one single opportunity or thing I can have that blacks can't have.
I'm not insisting anything - I'm reading your post, which said:

Quote:
OK...I'll play.

Name one single thing, just one, that I can have that a black person can't have.

Just one single thing.

What were you referring to here?

By the way, again, you seem to misunderstanding what this entire protest is about.

You're welcome to think any of what you write regarding black mistreatment...but please try to back that up. A lot of research has actually said the complete opposite. Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the many studies and initiatives that have come out in the last few years?

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-bias-police-lethal.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38611693

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...changes-report
https://www.scribd.com/doc/308424449...BKQjZuV7HlveFJ

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/u...ama-trump.html

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...ivision-police

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index..._strive_f.html

You're welcome to ignore the data - but it doesn't disappear.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A better question to ask is why the anthem is even used at sporting events.

Boxing, horse racing, field and track, tennis, and many other sports never use the anthem, and for most of its existence, neither did baseball, football or basketball.

What's so patriotic about sports anyway? Games are just entertainment. Why not play the anthem before the start of every movie, video game, play or concert? Or before we sit down to a game of cards.
This is the most sensible post I have read yet about this.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
And oh yes, about your pictures in your original post. Anyone can play that game.
Trump always responds with Proper Etiquette to the flag. NOT.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times
Quote:
I'm not insisting anything - I'm reading your post, which said:

What were you referring to here?

By the way, again, you seem to misunderstanding what this entire protest is about.
I knew you couldn't name anything.

And nobody knows what the silly protest is about. Fewer people care.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
And oh yes, about your pictures in your original post. Anyone can play that game.
Trump always responds with Proper Etiquette to the flag. NOT.

Well, that's a big fat "oops," now isn't it?

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Boycott Nike!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/n...193639102.html

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
I knew you couldn't name anything.

And nobody knows what the silly protest is about. Fewer people care.
You created an entire argument that I have never made! Who are you even talking to?

See my post above for information showing examples of police biases (which you claim don't exist).

Old 09-25-2017, 07:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Nobody knows.

A unionized workforce with billions of dollars at its disposal has no website, no representative, no official unilateral stance on what their actions mean and what possible remedies they are seeking.

It's the equivalent of when I go to the beach in Santa Monica and I see a homeless guy flailing his arms about and rambling on and on about pickles or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies