Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:55 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech...
BUT
No company nor institution is bound by that restriction.
They can surely fire / dismiss any employee whose behavior does harm to the company / institution.

And since most if not all NFL stadiums were built with taxpayer funds, it is quite appropriate to kick NFL to the curb for their disrespect of the symbols of patriotism and sacrifice by those who came before.

Is it in their lease?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
And since most if not all NFL stadiums were built with taxpayer funds, it is quite appropriate to kick NFL to the curb for their disrespect of the symbols of patriotism and sacrifice by those who came before.
Now that is funny. Cities subsidize sports teams because they think the tax revenue will offset their investment do you really think they will "kick the NFL to the curb"? Isn't that a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't understand how taking a knee which sends a message that you will not honor the anthem is actually sending a message against racism. If they want to clearly send a message then make a message! Come out on the field with banners saying you are fed up with cops abusing power or something. That's how you send a message.
Judging by the thousands of heads exploding all around us, it is working beyond their wildest dreams, thanks to Trump.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
What I find amusing about all of this is that until Trump ran his fat little mouth is that people didn't seem to care so much. Now that he's added fuel to it all hell is breaking loose.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Your mistake was calling the usage of the N word a cliche...so you're really saying you would say something else to him that has nothing to do with that word. But your initial post implied something else...
Hmmm

Sorta like the fire chief. Posts something in writing, and then goes back and tries to play the "I'm sorry, that's not what I really meant card", only it's exactly what they meant, because they WROTE the final phrase emphesizing exactly what they said.

Chief: "There I said it"
Dbones: "...cliche"

Kinda hard to hide behind your own words.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,441,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Still waiting.
Keep waiting for all I care.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:00 PM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm aware of concussion issues in hockey. I almost gave up playing the sport because of them...was a scary time in my life.

CTE is a far bigger issue in sports like football and boxing than it is in sports like soccer or hockey where hits occur at a much smaller frequency. But there is a risk with those sports, too. I still play hockey - I'm well aware.

To your last paragraph: I agree.
Beyond the protests and Trump...

I can't help but think about how ironic all this seems to be. I've got a rather liberal nephew who stopped watching football when all this started coming out about concussions. Just couldn't feel right about it anymore. I have kept watching even though I started to think a bit more about the issue, hoping the NFL could find a better way to keep the sport alive.

Meanwhile, I've always thought of the NFL as about as pro-America as entertainment can get, with lots of conservative fans happily entertained by the fly overs, the the marching bands, the unfurling of flags the size of the field. Scenes from the air of all the cities where the game is played, always displayed as if designed by a tourist agency. Huge stadiums filled by people paying for very pricey seats, advertisers paying big bucks, especially for Super Bowl spots, all always making you wonder if the economy isn't doing better than anyone really thinks.

Year after year the same images, also all the good causes promoted in so many different ways, yet the ratings are slipping. Why?

No doubt the protests are taking their toll because the crowd is largely the crowd it is. Demographics of NFL fans are much like Trump fans; older white males, overwhelmingly Caucasian. They have less tolerance for these sorts of "inconveniences" as a rule, so they'll just as quickly turn to other forms of entertainment where they are not so bothered, but the ratings were dropping before the protests. Also because of other forms of entertainment and younger people with less of those inclinations that older folks hold more dear.

Me. I record most all sports I watch anymore, mostly just to catch the finals/playoffs, because I enjoy watching the best compete in pretty much any sport. I mostly just zip through the pre-game show, all up until the kick off, through the half time show, but not anymore! I've been more interested in watching what happens during the national anthem lately than any time before Trump made it the thing to watch, if you were going to watch the game in the first place anymore...

Just waiting to see how this spills over into the NBA now. Owners are not likely to fire people like Curry, Lebron, no matter who Trump thinks he is...

Old 09-26-2017, 12:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times
Quote:
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech...
BUT
No company nor institution is bound by that restriction.
They can surely fire / dismiss any employee whose behavior does harm to the company / institution.

1. I have no idea why you quoted me.

2. You want to terminate/violate agreements between cities and the NFL just because of your opinion?

Did you even think about what the financial ramifications would be? Oh wait, I answered my own question.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Moral: Lets keep football, football and leave politics out of it.
I agree but this whole thing would have been over before it started if the Trump hand't turned it into a political issue, he's a child in a man's body. He taunts like a 9 year old school yard bully would. He engages in a war of words with his mini-me in North Korea and between the two of them they threaten every human being in the world with annihilation.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,441,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Hmmm

Sorta like the fire chief. Posts something in writing, and then goes back and tries to play the "I'm sorry, that's not what I really meant card", only it's exactly what they meant, because they WROTE the final phrase emphesizing exactly what they said.

Chief: "There I said it"
Dbones: "...cliche"

Kinda hard to hide behind your own words.
Yes it is cliché. It's said so much by the very people who say it shouldn't be said it has become cliché. Kinda hard to hide behind your racist thoughts if all you can hear in your head is racism. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies