Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 06:49 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90
A marginal, mafia-founded organization beginning after 1970-- i.e., several decades after Italian-Americans definitively proved our value as Americans, in war and in other ways. Quite simply, we are known for patriotism and not for complaining about this sort of stuff.
So some did what you said none ever did? I don't think this would be the only time either but not something you would concede either way
No, this in no way negates my contention that we Italian-Americans are known for patriotism, and that this complaining about supposed injustice is marginal-to-nonexistent in our case, despite these newer immigrants having it not even a fraction as bad as my ancestors had it. I'd like to see these anti-American scumbags try to disrespect America in front of Italian-Americans.. watch what happens to them.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Remember the good old days when all we had to fight about were toppled statues?

Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
SOOO. Since people will not respond to my question, I will post my assumptions.

Colin Kippernick once an outstanding QB both in high school college and the 49'ers for four seasons experienced 2 successive seasons where his performance declined and he was placed on waivers. He has not been hired for a new job as yet.

During his last and the most recent season, he refused to stand during the NA and stated that he was by his action protesting the inequity of police brutality towards black men. He also wore clothing which advocated for the murder of police officers on the playing field.

Donald Trump in a speech last week stated that players who refuse to stand for the NA should be fired from their employment.

Players in football and other sports expressed support of Kippernick's actions and in support either took a knee during the NA. The owners of major teams chose to either take a knee with their teams or refused to allow their teams to participate in any form during the NA.

How's that so far....
Good job!

See, you had it all along.

Kaepernick took a knee to protest police brutality against black men. He wasn't picked up by a team this season, but others kept kneeling in protest.

In order to whip up his base at a recent speech, Trump called Kaepernick a "son of *****" and carried on about how these football players should be fired.

This offended some players, coaches, and owners who joined together in telling Trump to stuff it. Others hid out in the locker room.

Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This may sound like 'stating the obvious' territory however here goes. It's probably not a surprise to most folks that employees get a little sensitive when they're threatened by a Reality Show entertainer celebrity particularly when the catchphrase of the show is 'you're fired!'.

What a drama queen!
He didn't threaten them. We established this a few days ago.

Trump, while an agent of the State, proposed no concrete directives to have these guys fired. He was speaking as an individual. I see no executive orders, no legislation proposals, etc.

I also see nobody has disputed my timeline. It's reality.

2.4% prior to Friday were involved. Trump, as an individual, made comments. By Sunday nearly 100% were involved.

This protest isn't about police brutality. It's about protesting Trump.

And that's fine. At least be honest about it.

Also, on a personal note, it makes someone look absolutely insanely unhinged if they form a protest around what a private individual says never mind the fact it is someone as batcrap crazy as Donald Trump.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:54 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
What gets me is how the Hell is the NFL classified as a Non-profit.
Not anymore. The NFL League Office was registered as a non-profit as it was a trade association. In 2015, they switched to a for profit model as they no longer wanted to have to open their books to anyone who asked.

BTW, most of the money the NFL made was taxed because it was distributed to the teams which have always been for profit companies.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No, this in no way negates my contention that we Italian-Americans are known for patriotism, and that this complaining about supposed injustice is marginal-to-nonexistent in our case, despite these newer immigrants having it not even a fraction as bad as my ancestors had it. I'd like to see these anti-American scumbags try to disrespect America in front of Italian-Americans.. watch what happens to them.

It's literally available via a quick google search if you'd like to do it yourself. Italian American discrimination is also apart of American history, including protests, filing lawsuits and fighting for equality for civil rights. You can ignore it if it somehow makes you feel like a better American

Old 09-27-2017, 06:58 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If it was about really police brutality and racism (as opposed to just taking an anti-US stance), then their protests wouldn't be restricted to only when the anthem plays. They have many many venues that they could take a knee to, but they only do when the anthem plays.
So it's up to you to decide when others should protest and the frequency of said protest?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:01 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If it was about really police brutality and racism (as opposed to just taking an anti-US stance), then their protests wouldn't be restricted to only when the anthem plays. They have many many venues that they could take a knee to, but they only do when the anthem plays.
You won't even listen to the issue on a proper political platform anyway. We can't even talk about the racial element of police brutality on this section of the forum without the same like 7 people deflecting hard to "black on black crime" or "black culture" or "BLM" or any other deflection. Just admit that you just don't want to talk about that issue ever. All yall can do is constantly say "now is not the time". It's been a few hundred years, can't sit around waiting on white supremacists to get it out of their systems.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
These men had their day in court. That's why. They go to court and defend themselves. Some get convicted, some don't. The police pretty much never get convicted for murdering people. Why is this a hard concept to grasp?

Now let's flip this post back around on the snowflakes...why is kneeling the thing setting you all off? Why haven't you boycotted the NFL when Ben Rothlesberger allegedly raped two women? Why is speaking on race relations the tipping point for you and not crimes?
So you assume the system works when it applies to NFL players but then assume it doesn't work when it applies to cops.

What I find problematic about the kneeling is the message it sends and that message is that the National Anthem is representative only of the Police, White America, etc. The National Anthem is suppose to be representative of ALL American people. Both good and bad, black and white. Kneeling before the National Anthem is way of saying "I don't respect any of this". Kaps actions did not help solve anything, it only threw fuel on the racial fire.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's literally available via a quick google search if you'd like to do it yourself. Italian American discrimination is also apart of American history, including protests, filing lawsuits and fighting for equality for civil rights. You can ignore it if it somehow makes you feel like a better American
"Most Americans considered the influx of these immigrants at the turn of the century as undesirable, and felt that they were eroding this country’s identity."

They were referred to as Wops or Dagos and KKK used to burn crosses to protest Italian immigrants.

Italian American Racism During the WWII Era & Italian Slur and Slang Definitions

Terrific paper that would get a person up to speed if interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies