Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:04 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Do away with the anthem

Replace it with a round of applause
For service men/women
Better yet, why not start each game by hauling missiles around the field. Tanks could come in and fire off a round. It would be awesome.

Might tear up the field, but would make things more exciting as players slipped in the dirt and mud and torn up astro turf.

Who would be paying attention to players taking a knee or those linked in symbolic support with this for folks to focus on?

If that's too much, we could have draft horses pulling flag-draped coffins while taps played.

Talk about showing support for our military and recognizing their sacrifice.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Sports is an escape from the sewer of politics

They need to stop this - they turn this into a social justice
Platform - they will lose viewers and attendance
In the first place, strange to think that objecting to injustice is political. Shouldn't we all be objecting to injustice? How is this a R or D thing? Are the Rs in favor of injustice and the Ds against it? Vice versa? What?

Second, the constant threats of boycotting football is just silly. How many fans are going to skip the Super Bowl because Tom Brady calls Trump out for being an ***? Get real.

Third, quarterbacks and coaches, and apparently owners too, know that if you don't stick together as a team, things will not turn out well.

There's a lesson in here somewhere.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:42 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Default Why didn't TV networks show angry, booing NFL fans Sunday or Monday?

From Sporting News -

"With President Donald Trump's attacks against protesting NFL players still reverberating, the league's TV partners decided to air live coverage of the national anthem before Week 3 games. Those partners left out a key element of the coverage: crowd shots of angry fans.

Networks typically do not televise the national anthem except for the Super Bowl and other special occasions, but they recognized there would be intense viewer interest this past weekend."

Why didn't TV networks show angry, booing NFL fans Sunday or Monday? | NFL | Sporting News

Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

& I don't identify as a 'heathen'.
Well, that's a relief.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:18 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a trend. My favorite pizza shop is refusing to play NFL games anymore this season.

Restaurants vow to not show NFL games over anthem controversy | WBMA

DirecTV is offering refunds to customers for their NFL Sunday ticket package and now cable companies are mulling over dropping ESPN from the base package rate.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
people watch sports for the diversion from life and politics. when they mix it together, people will turn away from it.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
people watch sports for the diversion from life and politics. when they mix it together, people will turn away from it.
Are you trying to make the argument that football players should not oppose injustice because it doesn't pay? Really?

As to redneck racists turning away from football, please. Let's be serious here.

People may give up Chick-n-Minis, Hobby Lobby's fabric paint, and Ivanka's knock-off frocks, but they aren't giving up football.

My money is on great ratings next weekend. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd bet the owners put Trump up to this nonsense.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a trend. My favorite pizza shop is refusing to play NFL games anymore this season.

Restaurants vow to not show NFL games over anthem controversy | WBMA

DirecTV is offering refunds to customers for their NFL Sunday ticket package and now cable companies are mulling over dropping ESPN from the base package rate.
I bet he doesn't last 2 weeks.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times
The poll was a bit confusing. I voted that the players shouldn't be fired but on the other hand, I believe that the owners have the right to fire anyone they please.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If the Cowboys want to take a knee to protest anti LGBT discrimination, that's their right to be heard.
So when are Tony Romo and Tom Brady going to get married?
Actually the NFL has been pretty powerful in their stance against LGBT discrimination, as has the NBA and NHL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies