Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yeah losing over half your fan base and many advertisers is great for business.
over half? lmao... I don't think it's that much.

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Friendly reminder that it was military veteran who encouraged Kaepernick to kneel.

Why does Colin Kaepernick kneel? A letter from Nate Boyer
"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer told CBS. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect.

Kneeling has always been a sign of respect.

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
I am so confused. The right keeps telling us that this entire issue has nothing to do about race. Yet time and again there are racial aspects coming from their side. What gives?

Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I am so confused. The right keeps telling us that this entire issue has nothing to do about race. Yet time and again there are racial aspects coming from their side. What gives?
"The right" does not speak in one voice just the same as no actions from an individual paints everyone that can be linked to them in any way paint them in the same way.

I have many friends that could be described as "right" that in no way would defend what this guy said.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This, to me, is one of the oddest arguments against that I've seen.
Shouldn't people who've "made it" endeavor to support and recognize those less fortunate than themselves?

Should't they continue to feel some sort of responsibility to those still trying to lift themselves up?

I so don't get this idea that once someone has a decent income that they should just slam the door, so to speak, on those not so fortunate.
There is a serious empathy gap in this country and few arguments have done more to illuminate just how contemptuous many are of those who struggle day to day.
Not to mention, rich black men are not immune to the snubs, etc., that plague their lower income counterparts.
Danny Glover sued the Taxi and Limousine Commission in NYC some years ago because taxis refused to pick him up.
Other millionaire blacks have noted that people refuse to enter elevators with them, cross the street when they see them coming and so forth.

If people honestly believe that this sh*t doesn't happen, they are deluding themselves.
Do they believe that the police will ask to see someone's W-2 before shooting in 'self-defense?"

As for the OP, football is the closest thing we have to gladiatorial combat in this country.
I think many actually regard the players as "animals" so, any behavior that demonstrates such is probably welcomed.
They don't regard the players as actual sentient beings, but at a level just above pit bulls.

Heaven forbid they actually act like humans with actual human concerns.
what's really crazy is most football players still deal with racism. I read a story about a guy who was traded to a new team who couldn't find housing in a GREAT neighborhood. They made up all types of excuses why they wouldn't sell a house to him.

When players drive home in their nice cars some are stopped simply because the car is too nice.

Aaron Rodgers had a great read about how he had no clue what some of his teammates endured once they were off the field.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Jerry Jones is a hypocrite. The NFL is an anti American, leftist, PC league. However, their league, their rules. It is a private enterprise, and they can do what they want. For the first time in over fifty years I stopped watching. That's my right, and I am now OK with anything they do as I am NO LONGER A CUSTOMER.
Good, now stop commenting on something that has no direct relation to you.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Post of the day, and I will be waiting to see the excuses.
yup. That's what's so crazy.

Punch them in the face
Grab em by the #####
Mexicans sending rapist and criminals
Fire the SOB's

This dude says so much ignorance but a kneel is the straw.

These are the same folks who screamed about Obama not wearing a flag pin though...

Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Here is the thing. I do not know what the ratio is but I can almost guarantee that the vast majority of people with such thoughts KNOW NOT TO MAKE THEM PUBLIC, if they value their careers. There is simply too much empirical evidence that making such statements on social media, TV, radio, etc.....will have repercussions.

People, manly whites, think racism has declined more than it really has because THEY DON'T HEAR racist people as much as they used to. Well.....that is because they know they cannot express their views publicly, unless they feel they cannot lose anything socially or professionally. However, that does not prevent them from having racist views or voting in such a way partly inspired by race or not considering a job candidate because their name sounds like they are black.

People think blacks are over blowing the issue of racism based upon them not seeing racism among whites. Well....how can you see it when it is censored? You do not see overt displays of racism on this forum either......because the post will be deleted and the poster given an infraction or banned. Now because we don't see racism being expressed, due to censor, people don't think it really exists or is a problem.
*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap

You can use this forum for example, full of whites who can safely express their racist views anonymously. Sometimes these racists don't remember this safety valve of anonymity when they express how they feel, and what they believe, on social media.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:06 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You obviously don't get it do you? Why pay the salaries of people who disrespect them and their country?
Oh, people are going to have to boycott a whole lot more than televised NFL games to step on the players' salaries. They are going to have to boycott many companies and many products. And if that should happen, it would probably hurt the economy as those companies employ so many. Also--there goes the sports bar industry. So if the base really sticks with Trump's little political sideshow, all those promised jobs and gdp could be affected negatively and bigly.

It is like the car industry. The reason Obama and Bush wanted to save it was because of the ripple effect on the economy if that went under. Football is a massive money producing industry--it would be the same.

And, frankly, there was a period in the 90s when people became disgusted with the behavior of players in the NBA for a while. Doesn't seem to have affected the industry or salaries.

Professional sports is embedded in the culture and consciousness of the country. What are all those die-hard sports fans going to turn to? Reading books? This will not be the demise of football, basketball or baseball. I am not a sports fan, but it is pretty impossible to ignore. It is an American addiction.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ll-for-boycott

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/09/04/how-...pro-sport.html

Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Cute, that is until you realize the players still did their job and the baker did not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies