Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Showing basic respect for the flag is PC? Who knew?
Lol, cons still are clueless.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:09 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
To those on the other side, where do you draw the line?

Try using some extreme imagination on what some people "could" do when we are honoring our Country, Veterans, Hero's, etc at National events.

Is that OK too in the name of Free Speech?

Old 09-26-2017, 01:11 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartown View Post
This is actually entertaining as I've never seen so many conservatives have their panties in a bunch, and I've never witnessed such hypocrisy in my lifetime. After years of slamming PC culture, conservative news and radio host are popping blood vessels over something they deem as being politically incorrect and offensive. They say confederate battle flags or ok but kneeling during the national anthem is not. And white supremacist should have the right to hold hate rally's in urban cities but NFL players should be fired. I'm actually against black lives matter and their movement, but if you can't see the irony and pettiness in this you're head is stuffed way up where the sun don't shine.
Good point. The irony is that the right is more PC in some ways than the left. Time to go back to their safe space... Fox news.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:11 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
To those on the other side, where do you draw the line?

Try using some extreme imagination on what some people "could" do when we are honoring our Country, Veterans, Hero's, etc at National events.

Is that OK too in the name of Free Speech?
Westborough Baptist Church protests the funerals of dead soldiers and holds up signs that they deserved to die. They are still protected, that is much a more personal and destructive disrespect than merely kneeling during the national anthem. And when people punch them for it, they sue them in court, and win.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 09-26-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 01:12 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartown View Post
Yeah but calling for them to be fired over it or boycotting the sport is. How many times have we seen liberals call for people to be fired or boycott something because they deem it "offensive"? Conservative are now doing the same exact thing.
If I pay to see a football game, I want to see a football game, not someone's political views. I don't care what those views are, even if they are views I would agree with otherwise.

If I pay to see a play, I want to see the play. I don't want to see actors lecturing people about politics. Any politics.

I just want these people to do what they are being paid to do. If they aren't going to do that, I am not going to watch them. I'm certainly not going to pay them to preach politics at me. And if they do something that I find offensive, I am darn sure not going to pay them to do it. They have the right to do what they believe, but their right to do what they believe does NOT impose any obligation on me to watch them do it.

Last edited by Gusano; 09-26-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
As a moderate I dont care about the protesting much. I think its more a matter of two wrongs making a right for some people, though the guy I work with thinks that not standing disrespects our troops and the sacrifice it took to get where we are today, as if all the social progress we have made would not have been possible without the sacrifices of our older generation.

As I do personal development I like to put myself in the other persons shoes and live from their perspective for awhile. Thus I fully understand both positions but dont really support either one strongly.

Most employers dont allow political demonstrations in the workplace so the NFL can do what it sees fit.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
As a moderate I dont care about the protesting much. I think its more a matter of two wrongs making a right for some people, though the guy I work with thinks that not standing disrespects our troops and the sacrifice it took to get where we are today, as if all the social progress we have made would not have been possible without the sacrifices of our older generation.

As I do personal development I like to put myself in the other persons shoes and live from their perspective for awhile.

Most employers dont allow political demonstrations in the workplace so the NFL can do what it sees fit.
Except when you get pressured to contribute to the PAC which happened every year where I worked.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
If I pay to see a football game, I want to see a football game, not someone's political views. I don't care what those views are, even if they are views I would agree with otherwise.

If I pay to see a play, I want to see the play. I don't want to see actors lecturing people about politics. Any politics.

I just want these people to do what they are being paid to do. If they aren't going to do that, I am not going to watch them. I'm certainly not going to pay them to preach politics at me.
Every think why they even play the anthem at a commercial entertainment event? I mean they didn't at any high school events. Even ones I paid for.

Seems major league sports at one time or another started using it as a commercial device to lure people in. Kind of disrespectful in my eyes.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Westborough Baptist Church protests the funerals of dead soldiers and holds up signs that they deserved to die. They are still protected, that is much more personal and destructive disrespect than merely kneeling during the national anthem. And when people punch them for it, they sue them in court, and win.
Good example of extreme dis-respect.

It just shouldn't happen.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
A fire chief in a town of 11000 said something. Big deal. The sky isn't falling chicken little
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies