Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:07 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One night in February 1982 a friend of mine from Cornell was driving up the Hutchinson Parkway in Harrison, New York. He saw a car that had spilled over an embankment and rescuing police officers. He decided getting out and taking a picture would be a great idea. He was a medical school student in the Bronx. I was in Boston, at law school at the time.

I graduated law school in Spring 1982 so in February 1982 I was not yet a lawyer. My phone rang at 2:00 a.m. He had been arrested for interfering in the administration of justice. I told him I couldn't help, but gave him the phone number of the attorneys who did real estate closings in the area. I presume he gave my friend the number of a more appropriate attorney. He's a doctor today so I presume that everything turned out OK.

But the moral of the story; when a police officer issues a command, you comply - PERIOD.
People have been shot complying. So your point? (Every person isn't a threat to the officer)

And what does that have to do with police corruption? And the arrest sounds a little excessive. We're not supposed to live in a POLICE STATE

Old 10-27-2017, 03:09 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So many fools in here just asking for a beatdown (or worse).

When a police officer issues a command, you comply - PERIOD.

If the officer in question was unlawfully or improperly issuing a command, you have recourse to file complaints and lawsuits where warranted. When the cop is conducting his investigation, now is not the time to be giving lip or acting like a moron. You follow orders like the law says your supposed to.
YOu've got to be brand new.

People like you ARE the problem in this country. Go do your research and find out why it took a powder keg to get this issue to the forefront.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't I live in Staten Island. I know that area very well. A friend of mine an NYPD sergeant was in charge of an anti-crime squad for several years in Tompkinsville it is a thug and skell haven. The close proximity of the ferry makes it an easy access point for all the garbage to come and go. If it makes you feel better my friend did say the ONLY thing he found troubling about the takedown was how Pantello kept his knee on Garner's head. He said if you got a guy on the ground and he says he can't breathe you can't grind his head int the pavement like that with your knee. As far as the takedown goes he felt going for the legs would have been a better way to go. When you do an arm lock like that the chance of an obese guy like Garner falling on top of you or putting you through a plate glass window is fairly high. A leg takedown usually means the guy falls forward. He also went to the academy with the BLACK Sergeant who ordered Garner arrested. The NYPD has made her life a living hell for following an inspectors orders to do a quality of life sweep. She got busted back down to a regular cop.
Imagine that. Yes, they largely will defend each other no matter what. They had NO reason to demand that he do anything.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One night in February 1982 a friend of mine from Cornell was driving up the Hutchinson Parkway in Harrison, New York. He saw a car that had spilled over an embankment and rescuing police officers. He decided getting out and taking a picture would be a great idea. He was a medical school student in the Bronx. I was in Boston, at law school at the time.

I graduated law school in Spring 1982 so in February 1982 I was not yet a lawyer. My phone rang at 2:00 a.m. He had been arrested for interfering in the administration of justice. I told him I couldn't help, but gave him the phone number of the attorneys who did real estate closings in the area. I presume he gave my friend the number of a more appropriate attorney. He's a doctor today so I presume that everything turned out OK.

But the moral of the story; when a police officer issues a command, you comply - PERIOD.
We do this over and over and over and over and over. Did Nurse Wubbels comply? No and there is NO way she should have. The police officer has been fired.

NO you do not simply give up your civil rights to a police officer. It's crazy the number of people who seem to think that is OK.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
People have been shot complying. So your point? (Every person isn't a threat to the officer)

And what does that have to do with police corruption? And the arrest sounds a little excessive. We're not supposed to live in a POLICE STATE
I don't know - it's like some of them want us to live in a third world country. Comply or die.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:04 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Default Fox News Poll: Positive views of NFL down 18 points since 2013

Oh dear.

From Fox News -

The National Football League is taking some hits these days. A new Fox News Poll finds that since 2013, the league’s favorable rating has dropped 18 points.

Today, 46 percent of voters have a positive view of the N.F.L. while 41 percent view it negatively. Four years ago (the last time the question was asked), 64 percent had a positive view of the league and 19 percent were critical.

Fox News Poll: Positive views of NFL down 18 points since 2013 | Fox News

Do I care...not a bit. The Giants have a bye so I don't have to watch them lose again this week. The Jets are playing Atlanta so we know how that's going to turn out. Tickets are available for near front-row seating for $202 a pop.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Oh dear.

From Fox News -

The National Football League is taking some hits these days. A new Fox News Poll finds that since 2013, the league’s favorable rating has dropped 18 points.

Today, 46 percent of voters have a positive view of the N.F.L. while 41 percent view it negatively. Four years ago (the last time the question was asked), 64 percent had a positive view of the league and 19 percent were critical.

Fox News Poll: Positive views of NFL down 18 points since 2013 | Fox News

Do I care...not a bit. The Giants have a bye so I don't have to watch them lose again this week. The Jets are playing Atlanta so we know how that's going to turn out. Tickets are available for near front-row seating for $202 a pop.
I heard Joe Girardi is going to take a knee at the next Giants game. He'll be praying for a new job. Mets?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Less focus on Football would do this country a world of good, IMO.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Less focus on Football would do this country a world of good, IMO.
That and who grabbed whose ass.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So many fools in here just asking for a beatdown (or worse).

When a police officer issues a command, you comply - PERIOD.

If the officer in question was unlawfully or improperly issuing a command, you have recourse to file complaints and lawsuits where warranted. When the cop is conducting his investigation, now is not the time to be giving lip or acting like a moron. You follow orders like the law says your supposed to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
YOu've got to be brand new.

People like you ARE the problem in this country. Go do your research and find out why it took a powder keg to get this issue to the forefront.
You've got it twisted - YOU are the problem, as in the reckless fools with a sense of entitlement that have zero respect for authority. It is correct to question authority and hold it in check, but at the point of active investigation IS NOT THE TIME TO DO IT. You are putting your health and safety and the health and safety of the law enforcement officials at risk by not complying and following police orders which you are legally required to do.

If impropriety has occurred, you need to follow up with complaints and action AFTER the investigation. THAT is how you get the change you're looking for. In reality, 99% of the time the office will have conducted him/herself appropriately. If the suspect would follow orders, you would see almost all the police shootings and serious suspect injuries disappear overnight.

But you don't want to see that, because you have a problem with authority and the rule of law. Guess what? - the country doesn't run on arbitrary feelings, we are a nation of laws and that will never nor should ever change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies