Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He said more than that, and it was taken as an attack. He called them words, which are not allowed even here at CD. Why do you think so many people, even Trump supporters voiced their disagreement?

When Tebow bowed the knee during the anthem, they said he took respect to a whole new level, but now that its a bunch of blacks, it is seen as disrespectful. Sitting it worse than taking the knee and even Kapernick went from sitting to kneeing because he didn't want to be disrespectful.

I stand during the anthem, but I don't police what others choose to do. In a free country people can do what they please in such situations.
Tebow and Kaepernick represent the two versions of Christianity these days.

Tebow is a Christian who spends his time making a public show of praying and preaching. He's in favor of abstinence before marriage, opposes abortion, and is concerned about sin and personal salvation.

Kapernick is a Christian who spends his time making a public show of standing up for social justice. He's raised funds and donated to efforts such as flying food and water to struggling Somalia, donating suits to those coming out of prison who are looking for jobs, Meals on Wheels, ...

"it feels as though the church is separating into two versions, one that values personal piety, gentleness, respect for cultural mores, and an emphasis on moral issues like abortion and homosexuality, and another that values social justice, community development, racial reconciliation, and political activism."

"One version is kneeling in private prayer. The other is kneeling in public protest."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.03edc51ae658

Can't help but wonder who Jesus would kneel with.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Maybe, like perhaps when white restaurant owners didn't think blacks should protest by insisting on sitting at the counter in their diner when there were places for blacks to eat? Or when Rosa Parks had the audacity to sit in the front of the bus when no one else would think of doing such a thing?

"Better ways" you say? Some might argue the best way is to do something people notice and start talking about, arguing about, doing something about...
"LearnMe" (poor grammar, by the way), these protesters are not protesting any racial issue, are they? To be honest, I don't remember what this is all about. Remind me what they are protesting. Seems to me that they are biting the hands that feed them. They should be fired, because they are violating the rules (which someone posted on another thread).

Perhaps the sponsors will quit buying advertising. That will solve the problem, when they no longer have funding.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wearing the US flag as an article of clothing, whether as a t-shirt, pair of shorts or sweatshirt is disrespectful.

It's Disrespectful to Wear 'Flag Print' Clothing

https://www.senate.gov/reference/res...df/RL30243.pdf

Which schools are forbidden to fly the US flag on school grounds? Links please. I've never heard of that before.
They are not wearing the actual official US flag on their shirt.

Those schools forbid even a image that suggests red and white stripes, and a field of blue with stars. Why? Because some demented SJW student or teacher view the US flag as a symbol of racism and oppression. Hence, any t-shirt bearing a facsimile that might appear to represent the US flag must be banned, or else the SJW might resort to violence.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"LearnMe" (poor grammar, by the way) These protesters are not protesting any racial issue, are they? To be honest, I don't remember what this is all about. Remind me what they are protesting. Seems to me that they are biting the hands that feed them. They should be fired, because they are violating the rules (which someone posted on another thread).
"The rules" that someone else posted on another thread were a lie. The NFL has no rules about the national anthem.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. came out a short time ago in support of Americans' right to peaceful protest by taking a knee even though NASCAR owners apparently don't think so.
NASCAR drivers can't help but go left.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Why are the protesters kneeling? Kneeling as an expression of reverence and submission.

Therefore, while our National Anthem is being played, the protesters are demonstrating that they revere our flag and country.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
How many years ago what that? .. anyone can ride the bus and sit anywhere there is an empty seat. Anyone , all races can sit at any lunch counter they want to.. where have you been?
Of course that's true now today! Are you seriously not able to understand that's because of similar dissent and protest back in the day when people didn't necessarily think the nature or venue of those protests was appropriate or best?

Now too, problems of racism persist, and still now too, there are the uncomfortable protests and acts of dissent when it seems those in power in this country are not only not addressing those problems but insensitive to them!

Add the similar ignorance and/or insensitivity of all too many white folks who can't begin to understand why black athletes are pushing back (and whites and owners) and you have all the proof anyone needs that we've still got a long way to go before these issues about race/racism are better understood and corrected.

Especially with Trump at the helm, we can and should all expect more rather than less dissent and protest that will no doubt go well beyond a simple bended knee before a football game gets started. Horribly offensive and dangerous such an act may seem to some...

Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
I was watching some videos of past NA at NFL games.....and the players being on the sideline during the anthem is pretty recent thing..... I saw in 2004 Colts vs Patriots, no players were out on the field. I am unsure of the why the change. But the idea of players actually out on the field area during the playing is new.... you would swear it is has been going on forever from the likes of SM. I say go back with them in the locker rooms and politics can stay out of it and the players can do as they wish.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Tebow and Kaepernick represent the two versions of Christianity these days.

Tebow is a Christian who spends his time making a public show of praying and preaching. He's in favor of abstinence before marriage, opposes abortion, and is concerned about sin and personal salvation.

Kapernick is a Christian who spends his time making a public show of standing up for social justice. He's raised funds and donated to efforts such as flying food and water to struggling Somalia, donating suits to those coming out of prison who are looking for jobs, Meals on Wheels, ...

"it feels as though the church is separating into two versions, one that values personal piety, gentleness, respect for cultural mores, and an emphasis on moral issues like abortion and homosexuality, and another that values social justice, community development, racial reconciliation, and political activism."

"One version is kneeling in private prayer. The other is kneeling in public protest."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.03edc51ae658

Can't help but wonder who Jesus would kneel with.
I don't see why Jesus would reject either. Both are Christians.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"LearnMe" (poor grammar, by the way) These protesters are not protesting any racial issue, are they? To be honest, I don't remember what this is all about. Remind me what they are protesting. Seems to me that they are biting the hands that feed them. They should be fired, because they are violating the rules (which someone posted on another thread).

Oh, dear, Nonsense Guy.

If you don't remember what this is about, a quick Google search would get you up to speed.

No, They are not violating NFL rules. This lie is being spread around the internet, but it has been debunked several times on this forum, so not sure why you are still spreading it here.

Are NFL Players Required to Stand on the Field During the National Anthem?

"no such wording appears in the 2017 version of the Official Playing Rules of the National Football League (which the NFL also sometimes refers to as an “operations manual”): Pages 62 and 63 contain only regulations about the enforcement of fouls committed on the field during gameplay, and nowhere else does that document specify anything about the either the playing of the national anthem prior to games or the required behavior of players and team personnel during that ceremony. In fact, the rulebook makes no mention of the national anthem at all."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies