Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:30 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Several people have tried to get my military-retired spouse to weigh in on what he thinks of NFL players "disrespecting" the military, the flag.

Each time he sets them straight about how he risked his life to protect their right to do just this.

He says that the disrespect for the nation is coming from those who are trying to do away with this basic freedom to take a stand for what you believe in.

He sees through BS.

It's one of the reasons I love the man.
Super.

And I suspect he's a liberal, too.

Here's the deal. Ok, yeah, they have the "right" to do whatever the **** they want to do - they could flip us all the bird as they stand there or pick their noses or take a dump on the field, I guess.

But to me, their "protest" as I have said half a dozen times in this thread now, is FAKE!!!! It's utter RUBBISH!

Their community is murdering eachother off at a record pace and they're focused on....POLICE??!?!?!

CULTURAL MARXISM - that is all this fiasco is all about.

And you know what, either way I don't care. And I know they don't care, either. Because you know why? I HATE these NFL players with their communist views with all my heart, and I know there's millions more Americans that feel the same way.

And before you retort with "you don't mean anything" or "you ain't ****", I am just telling you if these players have accomplished anything, it's stirring the racial strife in this country even more than I thought it could be after that Obama creep left.

And I have also said, good. If you want race relations to deteriorate, okay. We might need another Civil War in this country to stop all the erosion of culture any further. No more busing of certain segments of America into other segments; no more AA quotas in the Ivy Leagues (that my tax dollars pay for) or the government, of Fortune 500 companies; no more welfare, AT ALL.

These are all things that I want to see repealed, and with enough of this sort of cultural strife my side is going to stand up and we are going to put an end to it all.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I'm a vet, too. Infantry, Vietnam, 1967-1968, and I think the kneeling is bullsh1t. I didn't serve my country to protect the rights of giant spoiled children to act out in public.

These thuggish football players are living lives of of unimaginable wealth and luxury, having been doubly blessed by possessing superior physical attributes and by being born in the U.S. The only kneeling they should be doing is to thank their parents for their genes and to thank America for providing the opportunity for their wealth and fame.

What incredible ingratitude.

If they are so offended by this homeland that has made them pampered, admired millionaires, maybe they ought to go someplace where they feel more comfortable. Given enough time, I'm sure they could learn the name of another country.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Im also a vet and I agree with your husband. I also agree that people who disagree with taking a knee during the anthem have the right to protest it by opting to tune out.
I also believe that when you work for a company that company has the right to set policy in regard to making political statements while you are on the clock. In other words where I work I can't wear T-shirts with political slogans, or hold mini-rallies in the break areas.
These athletes are certainly entitled to their opinions, beliefs, and have the absolute right to protest on their own time. The owners have the right to ban protests while the players are on the field, in the locker room or while representing their teams. Freedom goes both ways.
They haven't done that so moot point.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm a vet, too. Infantry, Vietnam, 1967-1968, and I think the kneeling is bullsh1t. I didn't serve my country to protect the rights of giant spoiled children to act out in public.

These thuggish football players are living lives of of unimaginable wealth and luxury, having been doubly blessed by possessing superior physical attributes and by being born in the U.S. The only kneeling they should be doing is to thank their parents for their genes and to thank America for providing the opportunity for their wealth and fame.

What incredible ingratitude.

If they are so offended by this homeland that has made them pampered, admired millionaires, maybe they ought to go someplace where they feel more comfortable. Given enough time, I'm sure they could learn the name of another country.
Apparently you have no real idea what you served your country for or what rights you were protecting...

There have been a great many protests over the course of this country's history that make this form of protest look like mouse milk in comparison, many very important protests that altered our history for the better, that served to help right wrong-doing. Many that involved far more "disturbing and annoying and inconvenient" methods of protest as far as the status quo was concerned, but in America WE HAVE THAT RIGHT!

That's one of the things that makes this country great, helps this country become better! While at the same time there are still more than a few problems that hopefully protest can draw attention toward, and by drawing attention one way or another, maybe our elected officials can also help bring about the change for the better we all hope for.

Of course I understand all the reasons people feel otherwise about what some people may do to bring attention to such issues. Unfortunately, people have differing views about what it means to be patriotic or a "good American" or to take a knee, but any fool should pretty well understand the source of those emotions on both sides.

What worries me above all are the fools who don't really understand how important it is for us to have the right to express those emotions and feelings, to dissent or protest in a lawful manner, sometimes not even lawfully! Even if/when we won't all agree about what is worthy and what is not. The ISSUE/PROBLEM is what to focus on, what is important, the wrong-doing (that Kap first wanted to draw attention to).

I mean are we a free country or not!?!

PS: This crap about whether someone protesting is wealthy or not is even more misguided. Wealth and luxury doesn't necessarily equate to being "spoiled" and certainly has NOTHING to do with how a person feels about wrong-doing or what they may do about it. Those sorts of emotions and complaints strike me as more about insecurity or jealousy or both. Stick to the issue at hand in any case, whether it be the poor protesters on the streets or the more wealthy athletes on the field. What is the issue and who is right or wrong?

That's the issue! Not how much money anyone has..., not unless you're jealous or something. I mean what's that about?

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-31-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Apparently you have no real idea what you served your country for or what rights you were protecting...

There have been a great many protests over the course of this country's history that make this form of protest look like mouse milk in comparison, many very important protests that altered our history for the better, that served to help right wrong-doing. Many that involved far more "disturbing and annoying and inconvenient" methods of protest as far as the status quo was concerned, but in America WE HAVE THAT RIGHT!

That's one of the things that makes this country great, helps this country become better! While at the same time there are still more than a few problems that hopefully protest can draw attention toward, and by drawing attention one way or another, maybe our elected officials can also help bring about the change for the better we all hope for.

Of course I understand all the reasons people feel otherwise about what some people may do to bring attention to such issues. Unfortunately, people have differing views about what it means to be patriotic or a "good American" or to take a knee, but any fool should pretty well understand the source of those emotions on both sides.

What worries me above all are the fools who don't really understand how important it is for us to have the right to express those emotions and feelings, to dissent or protest in a lawful manner, sometimes not even lawfully! Even if/when we won't all agree about what is worthy and what is not. The ISSUE/PROBLEM is what to focus on, what is important, the wrong-doing (that Kap first wanted to draw attention to).

I mean are we a free country or not!?!

PS: This crap about whether someone protesting is wealthy or not is even more misguided. Wealth and luxury doesn't necessarily equate to being "spoiled" and certainly has NOTHING to do with how a person feels about wrong-doing or what they may do about it. Those sorts of emotions and complaints strike me as more about insecurity or jealousy or both. Stick to the issue at hand in any case, whether it be the poor protesters on the streets or the more wealthy athletes on the field. What is the issue and who is right or wrong?

That's the issue! Not how much money anyone has..., not unless you're jealous or something. I mean what's that about?
My argument -- that they are ignorant, both of the opportunities they have received and the good fortune that they have to have born in this country, for which they have sacrificed NOTHING -- has gone right over your head. No one denies the players their right to act like god-damned fools. But no one better deny MY right to call them out for saying that they are thugs and hypocrites who contribute NOTHING to our country beyond the questionable vicarious thrill of watching these clods try to bash each other's heads in. They're good at that. But they have zero credibility in the field of social justice or what constitutes one's value to society. To claim otherwise is asinine.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not about them, it's about others. Not everything has to be about you and the facts are, many of these guys came from places that lived it.

Things are being accomplished.

Third Baltimore police officer pleads guilty to racketeering conspiracy - Baltimore Sun

Utah officer fired for forcibly handcuffing nurse who defied him - CNN

Euclid police Officer Michael Amiott fired in Richard Hubbard case - CNN
I'll see your three bad cops and raise you this list of NFL thugs:

NFL Arrest - Football Arrest Record Database & Statistics

Old 10-31-2017, 12:57 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
I'll see your three bad cops and raise you this list of NFL thugs:

NFL Arrest - Football Arrest Record Database & Statistics
So the players that committed crimes were arrested and convicted. What are we supposed to be mad at? What is this supposed to balance out? Bad cops that commit crimes aren't being prosecuted and charged at a high enough rate. How is this point hard to grasp?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
So the players that committed crimes were arrested and convicted. What are we supposed to be mad at? What is this supposed to balance out? Bad cops that commit crimes aren't being prosecuted and charged at a high enough rate. How is this point hard to grasp?
Consider the source, who they voted for and their general attitude to certain segments of the population.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
No need to be mad. Just don't passively accept protests about crime from rich millionaires. No one likes being lectured by Trump -- why such sympathy from a guy named Lashawn who has a coke habit and diamonds in his teeth?

Old 10-31-2017, 07:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Hell, we need MORE protests:

Let the cheerleaders take a knee because, well, #metoo. In fact, let them take two knees. More comfortable that way.

Let the hot dog sellers take a knee for PETA.

Let the popcorn hawkers take a knee for celiac disease.

Let the referees take a knee 'cause they get no respect.

Pretty soon, there won't be any NFL at all. Which would be just fine with a lot of folks. Then the players could go back to mugging and slingin. The cheerleaders could catch on at hooters. The food vendors could --- well, they'd think of something.

And best of all, ESPN could go away. For good.
Hey why stop there?

Lets kneel at a police or military funeral while we're at it?

Why not at a fireman's funeral?

After all, according to the protestors....it's about their grievances with the country and not disrespectful to anyone...no matter where it's done at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies