Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:21 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,722,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
But it doesn't stop right-wing groups and skinhead thugs from making a nuisance of themselves. They will keep doing in much more serious ways than thrusting their palms into the air at a 60-degree angle, so the law's most significant achievement is to get harmless Chinese tourists caught up in the legal system.
Exactly.

Skinhead thugs are probably well aware of the law and they'll resort to real actions that harm people instead of making Hitler solutes like the socially awkward Chinese tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all.

The thing that amazes me is how unwilling some Americans are to accept the fact that other countries have laws that differ from our own. No wonder our tourists have such a bad reputation.
I'm not in the position to accept or reject the law.

I appreciate my freedom to comment on things.

By the way, if you read the Daily Mail regularly, you'll probably know British tourists are the biggest trouble makers. Few American or Chinese tourists drink themselves into oblivion in Canary Islands like the British do.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,520,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Well, dressing up like the KKK idiots is not illegal in the US.

So far, thoughts and expressions without action are still not illegal in the US.
Riiiight.....

Second teen spends months in jail for video g | The Daily Caller

Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,807,832 times
Quote:
Well, dressing up like the KKK idiots is not illegal in the US.

So far, thoughts and expressions without action are still not illegal in the US.
Not illegal, but use caution and common sense. Dressing like KKK idiots in front of the BLM people might result in serious bodily harm. I once told a guy from Thailand that I found their Queen to be attractive enough to have sex with. Dude wanted to kill me for saying that.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:05 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,683,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Tell that to Otto Wambier who stole a banner in North Korea.

We are talking about whether the law is appropriate, not whether they broke the law.

If this guy gets sentenced to the basically be tortured for the rest of his life and then is killed in prison by the germans we would take this comparison seriously

Old 08-06-2017, 06:21 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,520,282 times
Quote:
Maybe not. Citizens of Western Europe, the UK, and Canada all have less freedom, compared to US citizens, to express political and religious ideas.
This is the kind of stuff that causes citizens from those other countries mentioned to simply wonder sometimes.

https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...caApDxEALw_wcB

U.S. scores 89 with those others you mention being in the mid to high 90's

Just because your internal propaganda says it (and often) does not necessarily make it so.

You've got kiddies being sent home from school for pretending a stick is a gun:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.05659202543b

Those Chinese tourists were both adults and should have known better than to behave foolishly in a derisive manner, but a five year old child being punished for something such as would be considered normal activity by the bulk of the worlds children still today?

Movie censorship in the U.S. might preclude some forms of nudity or sexual activity being shown on screen whereas in the Netherlands you can view the goods, before purchasing same, in a storefront window.

War on drugs? Going to jail for years for possession of whatever amount of pot?

U.S. has the highest incarceration rate of the free world and you're presuming to lecture others about what should be deemed "appropriate" in their rule of law?

What is deemed "inappropriate" by some is not necessarily concern causing for others. Surely you can understand that without comparing it to a country's "perceived" superior freedoms in a negative context? er,........ can't you?

Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Not illegal, but use caution and common sense. Dressing like KKK idiots in front of the BLM people might result in serious bodily harm. I once told a guy from Thailand that I found their Queen to be attractive enough to have sex with. Dude wanted to kill me for saying that.
Insulting the royal family is a felony in Thailand.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:42 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,841 times
Quote:
North Koreans probably claim the same thing, and actually I agree with them to some extent. However, Germany is a western country so I would expect them to follow the guidelines of western Europe or North America.
Does this law violate the European Convention on Human Rights? I don't think there are specific Western European or North American guidelines.

Quote:
The US, for example, will never punish anyone for making a gesture in a casual, personal scenario.
Countries have different cultures, histories and legal systems. Perhaps there are punishments in the United States that Germans would perceive as harsh or unnecessary.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,777,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Exactly!

It's a direct violation of the 1st amendment. The only other country that I know arrests tourists for making a harmless gesture is North Korea.
You can be arrested for all sorts of things in many countries.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Does this law violate the European Convention on Human Rights? I don't think there are specific Western European or North American guidelines.

Countries have different cultures, histories and legal systems. Perhaps there are punishments in the United States that Germans would perceive as harsh or unnecessary.
Germany has breached the first amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies