Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 04:22 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a form of workfare: Maine Department of Corrections: Prison Showroom Gallery. In Maine they put or allow their criminals to make goods to be sold to the public. My wife loves to stop at their showroom when we visit the State.

Isn't that kind of the same thing? Prisoners are producing goods that could be directly competing with goods produced in the private sector. Their prices are very reasonable for the goods that they offer and one could even say that they have an unfair advantage - except the money they raise goes back in the system and they learn a trade + learn how to use a file!
I'm all for the idea of prisoners learning applicable job skills so that when they get out they can do something productive. Something that pays enough to support themselves with dignity. I'd like to see a better system for helping the former prisoners get hired too, because even if they have the requisite skills, often they can't get hired because they check the "felon" box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 04:25 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's a great idea, but unfortunately one that would cause rioting in the street and cries of racism.
Plenty of White people in rural areas on welfare (the majority actually) who would benefit from good paying jobs. The challenge in those rural areas, like the urban areas, is where are the jobs? I think Trump is going to focus on brining industry back to the inner cities, but at some point he needs to address the hopelessness of rural Americans as well.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:34 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
not making enough money?

get two jobs, or three if you need to. Builds character.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:25 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
While we're at it, why not incentivize marriage and two-parent households? We know that kids who come from single parent homes generally fail in school, live below the poverty line and get involved in crime and gangs. By offering working parents of children and extra monthly bonus or yearly tax bonus, we'd begin the reverse the damage done by past welfare policy that encouraged single Mothers to not have a man in the house.
That post says it all. I emphasize that paragraph because I didn't. I agree totally.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The Democrats don't want people learning job skills and becoming independent because there's a damn good chance they vote Republican
Wrong

Old 12-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So what happens when people slowly, but surely, drift away from that pathetic plantation you guys created?

Empowered people have no use for the democratic party, or big gov for that matter.
Wrong

Old 12-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I appreciate your honesty. Liberal extremist?
Don't believe it, he's really a conservative posing as a liberal, like Lovetosave

Old 12-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Don't believe it, he's really a conservative posing as a liberal, like Lovetosave
I am not a conservative. I am pro-abortion. I voted for Hillary. On 99% of issues I take an extremely liberal point of view.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am not a conservative. I am pro-abortion. I voted for Hillary. On 99% of issues I take an extremely liberal point of view.
Based on your posting history, I don't believe you

Old 12-25-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Based on your posting history, I don't believe you
Believe what you want to believe. In my personal conduct I am very typical of leftists; I push in line, curse at authority figures and spit on the flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies