Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That's just it. It's all about touting. They don't actually hire women just because they are women. Same with Facebook. My kid interviewed with both companies. So are lots of her women college friends. They didn't get a job there. No biggie, they have jobs offered somewhere else.
That's not what the memo said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 07:25 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Good...bad? Had the guy stated his opinion in a public forum..I'd be the first to cry 'free speech'

But he stated it in a corporate setting..posted it to the corporate website. I'd have bounced him too.
Not for his opinions..which I find misogynistic and full of self-serving pseudo-science--but because his posted opinions threatened the harmony and productivity of my workplace.

Politics, religion and personal opinion belong outside the workplace..you're there to work...so do your job..and save the pontificating for off the job site.
Yes this is exactly what I was saying. Saying true things doesn't necessarily mean you should expect everyone to respect you for saying them. My CEO seems kinda overweight to me; would I publish a memo saying "executives who are overweight set a bad example"? I mean... true... but... very ill-advised.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalFaygo View Post
What exactly was fake? Diversity isn't a synonym for "say whatever you want without consequences."
Apparently so, but it was not understood before.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Yes this is exactly what I was saying. Saying true things doesn't necessarily mean you should expect everyone to respect you for saying them. My CEO seems kinda overweight to me; would I publish a memo saying "executives who are overweight set a bad example"? I mean... true... but... very ill-advised.
Nobody is arguing with that.

However, we thought the inclusive tolerant Google would be different.

That the entire left is cheering Google's action is sad.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody is arguing with that.

Did anyone actually think that? They're about as elitist as Goldman. Everyone's gotta say they're inclusive and tolerant these days... what else are they gonna put on their careers page, "We fire people for any reason at all" and "People with different pedigrees are inferior?" Sad but it's just marketing like any other.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:35 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
It's quite a trick that they've somehow cultivated that façade (at least for some people). As I mentioned before, they've been "the SJW-way or the highway" for some time.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:44 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalFaygo View Post
If the memo had said white people are inferior in math and so they shouldn't be hired the same people would want him fired.
And he would have been *less* likely to have been fired.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Nowadays, speaking the truth is extremely inappropriate.
You can say whatever you want, but perpetrating stereotypes doesn't belong in the workplace, this was an internal memo not some manifesto he wrote during his breaks and handed out to his friends.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
That the entire left is cheering Google's action is sad.
Absolutely amazing that you what everyone in the "entire left" is doing, I'm impressed.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
What's funny, or sad, is just imagine someone deciding to "boycott" Google over this decision. Good luck! Google is the most powerful company in the world. And the level of control they will likely exert over the future is mind-boggling.
Again, very sad as individuals harmed by big corporations have no way to address their issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies