Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 PM

21,484 posts, read 10,591,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree with your post, and the bolded in particular. Google was right to get rid of him. I read it and it was extremely inappropriate.
Yet the people replying and talking about blacklists and that they would not work with someone on their team wasn't extremely inappropriate ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,768 times
I was surprised to read this on Medium of all places:

Google’s Testament to Political Correctness

Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Google, Amazon, Yahoo, MSN, etc. All far left, radical, social justice warrior companies. I won't buy anything from them. Too liberal/progressive, and intolerant of other views. No thanks.

I'm sure those companies will survive, somehow, some way, they will get past this devastating news, and manage to bounce back from such a shocking setback!!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I know which group contains a whole lot of people who think certain races and a sex need assistance because they can't do it in their own, and it's not conservatives.
Hardly. Conservatives don't care if certain races or genders can do it or not- they won't help or give a dang either way; as long as they have theirs (whether they actually earned it themselves or not) as long as women and those pesky colored folks are kept away from their ivory towers

Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 PM

981 posts, read 900,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Women are paid less because they work less not because they are women!

If women are paid less for doing the same job, no sane business would hire men!
Hopefully you are saying that they work less because of time off for maternity leave. Just my personal experience but I dont see men working more hours on average than the women. And I have seen many women without children working far more hours than people with children, either male or female. But I would agree that when women take off significant time for maternity leave it does have an impact on salary and promotions. I have been working in tech for over 20 years with no child rearing breaks, and I am sure my salary is at least equal to my male colleagues. My female colleagues with similar backgrounds seem to have the same experience.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 PM

981 posts, read 900,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalFaygo View Post
The argument goes that as a population, women's wages are lower because they take time off to have children and/or reduce their work hours to raise children. It's not a particularly good argument for professional white collar jobs like Google, however.
I dont understand why this couldnt happen at Google? If women take collectively 1 -2 years off to have multiple children it will impact their promotional track. It is exacerbated by the timing, as most women in these professional positions have their children around the same time that people on the fast track are getting a lot of promotions. The other data point I would be interested in seeing w this google pay gap suit is how they label the positions and are they reporting data at a very detailed level. Most tech companies have job titles that are the same but with many grade levels contained within. On my own team, we vary 4 grade levels from a junior manager to director levels with pay differences ranging up to $100k. In our case the 2 directors happen to be women but if they were men with the junior managers as women it would reflect a major gap that they would say was gender based.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,943 times
Quote:
How should I know? Big corporations get sued all the time for money and doesn't mean they are guilty.

The fact of the life is that no sane business would hire men if women can do the same job for less. Would you?
Companies don't always hire the cheapest person you know. They hire for the right talent. Unfortunately, women are notoriously bad or lax about negotiating and I believe this is why they tend to have lower salaries.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
I dont understand why this couldnt happen at Google? If women take collectively 1 -2 years off to have multiple children it will impact their promotional track. It is exacerbated by the timing, as most women in these professional positions have their children around the same time that people on the fast track are getting a lot of promotions. The other data point I would be interested in seeing w this google pay gap suit is how they label the positions and are they reporting data at a very detailed level. Most tech companies have job titles that are the same but with many grade levels contained within. On my own team, we vary 4 grade levels from a junior manager to director levels with pay differences ranging up to $100k. In our case the 2 directors happen to be women but if they were men with the junior managers as women it would reflect a major gap that they would say was gender based.
Who actually takes off 1-2 years for children nowadays? Everyone I know gets right back to work after maternity leave.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,284,905 times
Quote:
If women aren't capable of every job on earth that men do, they aren't as capable as men!
If men aren't as capable of every job on earth that women typically do, men aren't as capable as women.

How many male wet nurses do you know?

How about surrogates?

This whole oil rig thing is ridiculous.

Men and women are equally capable of being software engineers.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:11 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,932,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalFaygo View Post
The argument goes that as a population, women's wages are lower because they take time off to have children and/or reduce their work hours to raise children. It's not a particularly good argument for professional white collar jobs like Google, however.
One of the factors worth considering with the Google scenario is they took on government contracts. In exchange, they were bound contractually to the government's terms of fair pay. The government routinely performs audits to ensure their contractors, like Google, are adhering to obligations.

& more recently, there's this:

Quote:
...Last week, President Trump signed an executive order revoking the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces order, created by President Barack Obama in 2014 to ensure businesses that receive federal contracts do a better job of adhering to labor and civil rights laws. As a result, the president is now facing criticism over his rushed repeal of the order, and particularly the loss of two rules which proponents say were to the direct benefit of women: one requiring wage transparency, and another barring forced arbitration clauses for sexual-harassment cases, known to critics as “cover-up clauses," The Independent reported. ...
Trump Order Drops Pesky Regulations On Equal Pay, Sexual Harassment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwb.../#535062445c10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies