Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
To be fair though tolerance can't mean "I'll let anyone in." Google has a specific culture that distinct from say IBM's culture... how does this happen? Because they pick people who fit into it. Whether that's "tolerant" or not... IDK, but I don't think it's unfair.

I'm gonna guess you'd call yourself a tolerant person... does that mean you invite anyone who wants to come to your home? Do you date everyone who asks you out (less relevant for a dude)? Keep friends with everyone you meet? There's some selectivity that's allowed that doesn't make a person intolerant or exclusive.
I think we need to distinguish the private life and public life.

For example, I would not advocate anybody being blocked on my forum even that person has significantly different view from me or spreads racist ideas.

Interestingly, after Trump win, some of my liberal friends unfriended me on Facebook, but I have not done anything like that. My liberal friends also told me not to comment on their liberal posts, and again, I have never done anything like that.

However, my home is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
In any case - he made an inappropriate use of company resources to espouse a certain political view and violated company rules/conduct. Case closed.

Of course, he is free to seek legal recourse. Good luck with that.
For the thousandth time, nobody is arguing that. Move on please.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
True enough. I've known for a while that Google was very narrow and close-minded. SJW-way or the highway, as I mentioned earlier. It should be known. It's not like anyone can really boycott Google. This is the most powerful company in the world, and they have grand designs on "winning the future" and eventually controlling the planet.
I do think Google in particular is very exclusive and way too "curated" shall we say. But in general, talking about any company here from Pepsi to American Airlines, I don't think keeping out people who don't jive with the culture is necessarily intolerance.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:42 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
I maintain it was a calculated risk. He knew there was a good chance he would lose his job.
And for what? What would be the potential reward for taking such an amazingly pointless and stupid risk? Calculated risk? LOL. The risk is 100% guaranteed you're going to lose your job making hateful comments that does nothing but cause divisiveness and disruption in the workplace. That is the only possible outcome.

Quote:
Huh? What makes you think he's a conservative?

Are you really that dense? It couldn't be more obvious he is a conservative.

1. He specifically accuses Google of being a left-leaning organization in his own words.
2. He claims conservatives employees are afraid to voice their opinions at Google.
3. Who else but a conservative blowhard would make such incredibly sexist comments?

I'm amazed anyone is defending this stupidity. But not surprised.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Imagine that, the opportunity of a lifetime, working for Julian Assange! BTW is he still hiding out in the Ecuadorian embassy?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
In any case - he made an inappropriate use of company resources to espouse a certain political view and violated company rules/conduct.
He did none of those things. He commented on company policy in the naive belief that the company's proclaimed commitment to diversity was genuine. He tried to help his employer meet its diversity goal by tethering the goal to reality. Simple as that.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
And for what? What would be the potential reward for taking such an amazingly pointless and stupid risk? Calculated risk? LOL. The risk is 100% guaranteed you're going to lose your job making hateful comments that does nothing but cause divisiveness and disruption in the workplace.
The tell the truth. Maybe he was fooled by the inclusiveness and tolerance of Google.

Quote:

1. He specifically accuses Google of being a left-leaning organization in his own words.
2. He claims conservatives employees are afraid to voice their opinions at Google.
3. Who else but a conservative blowhard would make such incredibly sexist comments?

He's a liberal, not a leftist like you.

A conservative would argue for a gender blind, merit based policy. Instead, he wants more "diversity" and provided ideas how to improve "diversity."

Old 08-09-2017, 12:46 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
And for what? What would be the potential reward for taking such an amazingly pointless and stupid risk? Calculated risk? LOL. The risk is 100% guaranteed you're going to lose your job making hateful comments that does nothing but cause divisiveness and disruption in the workplace.

You haven't read the memo, and he's definitely not a conservative. You'd know that if you read the memo. Is it too much trouble for you to try to know what you're talking about? Here it is:

https://medium.com/@Cernovich/full-j...es-339f3d2d05f

Old 08-09-2017, 12:48 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
How is it "controversial" that men, as a whole, are more driven towards status and high-income professions than women are?

I don't get it.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
...I don't think keeping out people who don't jive with the culture is necessarily intolerance.
Again fair. Compared to, say, my company, which has right around the same number of employees as Google, there is a far broader range of perspectives and worldviews that are part of the culture. People here aren't actively discouraged from any particular viewpoint, as is done at Google (source: I have a friend who works in a division of Alphabet).

[Doesn't mean it's a good idea to post up your personal cultural, social, and political views for all to see, of course.]

I think the world at large should realize this about this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies