Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,180,799 times

Advertisements

Yes. They're free to be moronic business owners.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,372,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
In theory that's correct because they can always go elsewhere. But what if everybody gangs up on them and they can't get what they want anywhere? Like buying a house.
You could also think of it this way... Our plane crashes on an island and it's just you and me (or it could be 10 people, or whatever, but lets keep it simple). You decide to gather supplies and build a little shelter, and I do something else like finding food. Later on I decide that I want a shelter too, so I try to force you to build a shelter, or let me use yours, or I even offer to trade you some of my food. Do you have the right to say no, or are you obligated to provide me with shelter?

Let's say you didn't like me because I have blue eyes and told me no, please leave me alone and build your own shelter. I think I would be the one at fault if I threatened you (which is what laws are) into providing that service for me, even if I think your reasons are stupid or hateful.

Even if there are more people involved, nothing changes just because one group outnumbers the other. If the other 8 people side with me, it's still wrong to force you to serve me just because I want something you have.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,206,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW...a leftist bringing race into the equation.... who woulda thunk it...
Proooobably has more to do with the hypothetically being based on historical facts.

Anyone who would intentionally use their religion to harm others are terrible people.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,727,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you do not own the fruits of your labor you are a slave.

There is no middle ground. It's as simple as that.

You can deny service/products to anyone you want for any reason.
Pretty much this right here.

Except for essential services, any business should be able to deny service for any reason, even racism.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:09 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,752,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Is a business truly public though?

It's conventionally understood that if I opened a business it would be my private property, as I invested my own money into it.
But you are serving the public. Is it fair that others in your community are able to derive services from a business but you can't just because you have a different lifestyle?

Using the baker as an example; let's assume that it's a small town and he's the only baker in town. The gay couple is now faced with the prospect of not having a wedding cake. Straight couples in the community have no issue getting a cake but the gay couple have to go out of there way to get the same thing. I just don't think that's fair.

Now if the gay couple were to ask for something that would be considered offensive on the cake then I would say the business owner has the right to refuse that but not the basic service of providing the cake.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW...a leftist bringing race into the equation.... who woulda thunk it...
It's a valid question. Quit deflecting and answer it.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
But you are serving the public. Is it fair that others in your community are able to derive services from a business but you can't just because you have a different lifestyle?

Using the baker as an example; let's assume that it's a small town and he's the only baker in town. The gay couple is now faced with the prospect of not having a wedding cake. Straight couples in the community have no issue getting a cake but the gay couple have to go out of there way to get the same thing. I just don't think that's fair.

Now if the gay couple were to ask for something that would be considered offensive on the cake then I would say the business owner has the right to refuse that but not the basic service of providing the cake.
No cake, so?

Sorry, but that's not real harm.

Only doctor in town? Totally different story.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,983,911 times
A business owner should be able to refuse service to anyone he/she chooses. It is his business and money .

Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No cake, so?

Sorry, but that's not real harm.

Only doctor in town? Totally different story.
Yes it is most certainly real harm. Equal protection.

Why not the doctor? Why is he different?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
A business owner should be able to refuse service to anyone he/she chooses. It is his business and money .
I understand the sentiment, but when it comes to essential services, where real harm can be done by inaction, I have to disagree. An example would be an ambulance service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies