Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times

Advertisements

Because they are too stupid to get in and that drives them nuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Or by Christianity
you probably worship Bruce Jenner and movie stars

Old 08-12-2017, 05:26 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Very few people blanket hate college. We hate that some people feel that a 'degree' in transgender lesbian womans studies is valued the same as a STEM degree, and expect tax payers to fund it. We hate that some people feel that a useless, over priced liberal arts indoctrination degree that teaches a student no usable skills is considered more valuable than a technical school degree or apprenticeship.
This is it to a tee. I value education, always have and received plenty of it but I also abhor wasting my time. Thus, I chose CS and math. It has served me well as has my college education but no, a degree in women's studies is simply not as rigorous, challenging, or a worthwhile investment and those pretending it is are insane. My husband chose a career path in the skilled trades - also served him well, was a good investment for him and I fully respect his choices. At the end of the day, I respect choices which neither waste time nor money and frankly, a degree in women's studies (or some other similar degree) are both.

In summation, I do not hate college at all, I simply hate poor decisions especially when backed by taxpayer dollars.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:38 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok so to break it down. Does the ROI has to make sense? One gets a job and works his way up, (or starts a business). The other get themselves thousands of dollars ($50k, $70k etc) in debt to go to college and can't find a job or works at Starbucks. Who do you think is better off?

Maybe we should have a conversation about those greedy educators. But the media doesn't want you to look at that and you comply, think how you're told to think and ignore what you're told to ignore. The entire thing is actually a damn shame. Kids shouldn't have to sell their soul to get an education.
I completely agree with your statement I bolded above !

I didn't pay for my college education since I had grants but it is obscene how much debt kids get into just to attend college which should be free.

It's called a investment in our future.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I completely agree with your statement I bolded above !

I didn't pay for my college education since I had grants but it is obscene how much debt kids get into just to attend college which should be free.

It's called a investment in our future.
If it were free like other countries, it would also need to be far, far, far more selective both in who could go and what courses of studies were offered. So pick one model because you flat out can't have both from a fiscal perspective.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:10 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Oh come on, after Trump won leftist were out in mobs making fun of people who didn't go to college and voted for Trump... calling them uneducated, stupid, illiterates and of course deplorable racist. But not a peep from you until someone voiced an opinion on the education and YOUR RIGHTS.

So you are agreeing trump won by playing to the rust belt ,you only get mad when it is pointed out ,interesting.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:12 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
There was a lot of denigration coming from the left after the election when you were banging your head trying to figure out how Hillary lost.
We know how, trump canpaign on racism and bigotry and ask for russian help.Hillary did not.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:36 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
At least I'm majoring in Tech, which would help me land a job at a tech company.

Maybe.

You could also take a bunch of really hard classes only to find that white (and Asian) males (assuming) need not apply, or you could be rendered irrelevant by H1-b workers.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
At least I'm majoring in Tech, which would help me land a job at a tech company.
What happens when you can't get a job at a tech company? Will you go back to your "Fictional Writer" gimmick?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:45 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
So you go to a liberal institution for brainwashing, which doesn't teach many valuable job skills. Once you graduate, you'll be lucky to land a job at Starbucks. And if you have some debt, good luck trying to pay it off. Brilliantly summed up in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJXi6IXWyI
College at least teaches you correct English. I'm so tired of hearing ain't and other words like this. It makes people look uneducated which I guess they are. People like this aren't likely to get good paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies