Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 09:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times

Advertisements

I think people have a right to defend themselves against leftist attacking them for exercising their free speech rights.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
All of those that lost their lives in WW2 (well on our side - the Allies, in case anyone needs reminding) are rolling in their graves.

I just find this so inconceivable in my lifetime.

For shame.
Are they?

The defeat of Nazism and the maintaining of the American way of life are not necessarily the same thing.

Remember, we tried the Nazis at Nuremberg where was a possibility they could get non death sentences or even be acquitted as some of them were. That is the American way of life, fair trials. We didn't gather up the Nazis and just took them out and shot them.

So hence we come to now where there are people believing in Nazism. Well, like it or not, that is the American way of life, too! We don't outlaw what people can believe.

Consider what Thurgood Marshall wrote in Stanley v. Georgia: "[i]f the First Amendment means anything, it means that a State has no business telling a man, sitting alone in his own house, what books he may read or what films he may watch. Our whole constitutional heritage rebels at the thought of giving government the power to control men's minds."

We may not always like it, but people have the right to believe in what they wish. That is part of America.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:14 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
"I disagree with everything you say, but will defend, to my death, your right to say it."

(Voltaire -- expressed in various forms, and upon many occasions)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltaire

Not given much respect from either side in Charlottesville.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The Left never condemns any part of its base. They makes excuses for muslims terrorist, BLM, common criminals, even the leftist shooter at Republican legislators. But they demand the right condemn everyone. Zero honesty and integrity from the left.
You are exaggerating, there was violence from the left and right and I don't care for either but when David duke compliments a president in this situation it's time to resign.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Amazing people coming to the defense of nazi murderers.

This is probably energizing the movement more than ever.

No good person marches with nazis and racists.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,759 times
I find this entire situation so infuriating, confusing, and embarrassing. Once again, I get what Trump is saying but his delivery is all out of whack. We basically had two radical groups have a riot. Both preaching their own brand of hatred. The fact that one had a permit and one didn't does not mean anything to me. I can not believe that I am living in a world where people are flying Nazi flags, identifying as white supremacists and support the KKK. It's despicable. I have spent my entire life knowing that Nazis are bad, the KKK is bad, white supremacy is bad, racism and prejudice is bad towards anyone and from anyone. These were just accepted facts by me and everyone else I know. Talking about it with a friend of mine today when I asked him how is this possible he said, "well, there are crazy people out there."

I am not naive I know these people exist but, I always thought they were regulated to the shadows. I understand why Trump did not call them out by name Saturday. Why name them and give them the attention that they seek. Millions of people died at the hands of Nazis victims of the Holocaust and the soldiers fighting to free Europe. They were stamped out 60 years ago and better stay that way. Trump names these groups and you get the KKK leader thanking him directly on twitter. That type of empowering these backwater savages only empowers them.

The media baited Trump and he fell for it and why he tried to see the good in both sides by saying there are good people on both sides is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that maybe he felt there were people there supporting the protests on both sides that weren't affiliated with any organization? But if he did feel that way he sure didn't explain it properly it gets lost in translation and he looks terrible. People will play that sound bite forever. This could be the blow that proves fatal to Trump and it's by his own doing....AGAIN! You can only walk in between the rain drops for so long before you get wet and Trump got caught in a downpour today. Plus, it comes on a day where it appears Trump could have been taking a victory lap for his tough stance on North Korea we get this mess and that crisis and apparent success is put to the back burner. General Kelly must be livid.

I am disappointed and dumbfounded by the president and disgusted by the alt left and alt right groups or whatever they call themselves. These groups have no place in the United States of America.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,270,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Wrong. They were not.
Evidence?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Haha "good people" march in KKK marches lol. We live in a sick country.

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
The Antifa idiots gave the white supremacist idiots exactly what they were looking for. Both sides were looking for a fight, and they got one. If the Antifa crowd didn't show up, the WSs, would have gotten no attention. Now that this happened, look for more of the same.

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
One can believe in freedom of speech without believing in the specifics of the speech. One certainly can and should speak out against hatred.
So what is hatred exactly? Who determines that? If you are a drunk and someone tells you not to drive are they spreading hate against you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.