Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:24 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times

Advertisements

I sure hope reenactment never ends.
They arrive as strangers, greet as friends, replay the greatest tragedy of our past, and then depart as new, deeper, friends once more.

That's not just a reenactment of a fight. It's the replay of the entire war, but with a better, more peaceful conclusion.

We should never forget our history. But we must not allow the past to consume the present. I believe these reenactments preserve it all in proper context.

The old encampments of the past, with the real veterans reenacting their war, were the same.

After the fight, the men who once tried to kill each other would drop their rifles and run toward each other, weeping, to embrace each other as brothers who rejoiced in their common survival.
They did a lot to heal the old wounds and emotional scars. After every volley, a great moan would rise in the silence, a remembrance of their shared fear, wrath and pain.

And then, the old vets would stay up all night, sitting around campfires, old confderates and federals together, talking about their past, drinking, singing their old songs, and rejoining into a much better brotherhood in old age than the one that first joined them in bloodshed.

I believe our modern reenactments serve exactly the same purpose. As the animosity that became generational fades, so will a lot of the troubles that bother us the most of all. Anything that can speed the fading helps us all to put the past to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 05:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
Quote:
michiganmoon

Look at this thread and the Goebbels like logic used by the original poster and others:
Goebbels like logic???

Old 08-19-2017, 06:08 PM

26,483 posts, read 15,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Goebbels like logic???
Yes, these anti-fascists are using the same method that fascists use - not just with antifa violence to silence 1st Amendment rights, but also in how they and their apologists argue...

-Make "absolute" claims about X with no wiggle room or gray areas.

-Expand X to include Y and Z with lies.

-If anyone tries to defend Y or Z from being called X, or argue against the absolute statements, then label them an X and repeat the lie.

Countless Democrats/Liberals are using Goebbels' logic.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Ach sooo.....( getting ready for my next event)

Old 08-19-2017, 06:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I sure hope reenactment never ends.
They arrive as strangers, greet as friends, replay the greatest tragedy of our past, and then depart as new, deeper, friends once more.

That's not just a reenactment of a fight. It's the replay of the entire war, but with a better, more peaceful conclusion.

We should never forget our history. But we must not allow the past to consume the present. I believe these reenactments preserve it all in proper context.

The old encampments of the past, with the real veterans reenacting their war, were the same.

After the fight, the men who once tried to kill each other would drop their rifles and run toward each other, weeping, to embrace each other as brothers who rejoiced in their common survival.
They did a lot to heal the old wounds and emotional scars. After every volley, a great moan would rise in the silence, a remembrance of their shared fear, wrath and pain.

And then, the old vets would stay up all night, sitting around campfires, old confderates and federals together, talking about their past, drinking, singing their old songs, and rejoining into a much better brotherhood in old age than the one that first joined them in bloodshed.

I believe our modern reenactments serve exactly the same purpose. As the animosity that became generational fades, so will a lot of the troubles that bother us the most of all. Anything that can speed the fading helps us all to put the past to rest.
Can't rep you, but this is worth reposting for those who might have missed it previously. Thanks for your eloquence and insight.

And - I am happy to report that the Battle of Richmond (Kentucky) Reenactment will take place as planned next weekend, August 26-27, 2017. It includes civilian and military components. I have visited this event in previous years, as my great uncle fought in this battle and I feel a bit of a personal tie to it for that reason (it's also close to home).

Richmond is a short drive south of Lexington, and the (actual) battlefield where the reenactment takes place is a pretty five mile or so drive off I-75, south of the town of Richmond itself and within sight of the westernmost range of the Cumberlands to the south.

This event is not entirely authentic, but it is improving each year. Civil War books and other items are for sale, and reenactors are happy to talk to visitors. Refreshments, some period, are also available and a wide variety of children's activities are planned.

The battle reenactment itself is much smaller than the original cast's version, but the weekend includes much more than the battle reenactment, and to me, those other activities are much more interesting. A period farm house centers the reenactment area, and contains displays - it was used as a field hospital during the battle. Other historic buildings remain on the site as well and are put to similar good use.

Well worth a visit, if you're in or near the area.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes, these anti-fascists are using the same method that fascists use - not just with antifa violence to silence 1st Amendment rights, but also in how they and their apologists argue...

-Make "absolute" claims about X with no wiggle room or gray areas.

-Expand X to include Y and Z with lies.

-If anyone tries to defend Y or Z from being called X, or argue against the absolute statements, then label them an X and repeat the lie.

Countless Democrats/Liberals are using Goebbels' logic.
What does this post ^^^ have to do with the topic of whether or not Civil War reenactments will or should continue?

Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 PM

It might be newsworthy to some to report that there are black Civil War reenactors, mostly military but some civilian. The living history (not battle) reenactments which take place at Camp Nelson, Kentucky, reflect its history as a Union camp in which many black soldiers and their families, plus black civilian refugees (former slaves) lived during the war years. The saintly abolitionist John Fee, who was also one of the founders of Berea College, taught school at Camp Nelson, teaching both black adults and children to read and write.

Tragically, a change of (white) leadership led to the eviction of the civilian refugees from Camp Nelson during a terrible sleet and ice storm - without providing transportation or adequate clothing. Many died along the road to Nicholasville, the nearest town, which was about ten miles north.

I never drive that stretch of U.S. 27 without remembering those tragically lost souls. Some were fortunate enough to be offered shelter by local farm families, but others died of exposure. Women and little children and old people...some still rest in unmarked graves along that road. It's a tragedy which needs to be more widely known. The reenactments at Camp Nelson help keep those refugees from being forgotten.

Not all atrocities occurred at the hands of Confederates. That Union officer who gave such a murderously cruel order had blood on his hands.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What does this post ^^^ have to do with the topic of whether or not Civil War reenactments will or should continue?
I was alluding to all reenacting in my OP. I do enjoy CW but I'm mostly concerned with ww2 reenacting

Old 08-19-2017, 08:59 PM

26,483 posts, read 15,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Civil War reenactors could potentially get lumped in with Klansmen the same way the SCV and DCV have the past few days with liberal-Goebbels logic.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:20 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I have heard no one suggesting we need to stop re-enactments, films, museums, or anything like that so I wouldn't worry about it. I've never been to one but hope to one day as I think they're wonderful and know they are truly a labor of love for many.
That's because you're reasonable. Let Antifa get a whiff though, and who knows. It would make great headlines for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies