Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:46 AM

59,070 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Senator Byrd renounced, apologized for, and spent his latter years atoning for his earlier racism.

The NAACP mourned his passing.

Whatever his other shortcomings, he was one of the great role models of our time, reminding us that we all have sinned and fall short, we all can repent and find forgiveness.

I'm dying to add some Trump quotes here re forgiveness but like Auntie Em, "well being a Christian woman, I can't".
"Senator Byrd renounced, apologized for, and spent his latter years atoning for his earlier racism."

So did Strom Thurmond, he was one of the FIRST Senators to have black person on his staff, but, that did stop the left for denigrating him when he retired from the Senate.

And it cost another Senator from being made the Senate Majority Leader because he DARED praise Stom at his retirement ceremony.

The dems are the BIGGEST hypocrites I have ever seen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 AM

553 posts, read 617,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I dont understand all this focus on the racism of Democrat history, is the end game of republicans to maybe get black people to vote less than 92-89% for democrats and win maybe , just maybe, double digit votes like 10-12% of the black vote for republicans?
A more likely (and achievable) goal is to depress turnout; the percentage of the black vote won't matter so much if fewer black people vote. A (D) voter who chooses not to vote is about half as good for them as one who switches to (R).

Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Is that today's emailed talking points in an attempt to defend the idiot in chief? Nice try. You elected an ignorant bigot. Deal with it and stop trying to deflect with shiny objects (that are actually quite dull). Deflecting with a dead man who apologized a million times. Compare that to the proud David Duke and Richard Spencer praising Trump for his bigotry.

It's quite pathetic, and if the president acted like one, it wouldn't be necessary to attempt to sully others in order to make him look better. Sad!

"....It’s also true that Robert Byrd was a member of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1940s and helped establish the hate group’s chapter in Sophia, West Virginia. However, in 1952 Byrd avowed that “After about a year, I became disinterested [in the KKK], quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization,” and throughout his long political career (he served for 57 years in the United States Congress) he repeatedly apologized for his involvement with the KKK:
“I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times … and I don’t mind apologizing over and over again. I can’t erase what happened.”
In 2010, even the NAACP released a statement honoring Senator Byrd and mourning his passing..."

Hillary Clinton Kissed by Former Klan Member

Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 AM

23,977 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Why do conservatives keep bringing up what an old man dead for years did when he was young?

Is that all you have?

And you completely ignore what he did in his later years. This creates grave doubt about your judgement.

Last edited by crone; 08-18-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Why do conservatives keep bringing up what an old man dead for years did when he was young?

Is that all you have?

And you completely ignore what he did in his later years. This creates grave doubt about your judgement.
To cover up hillarys gun running in Benghazi which got 4 Americans killed, hillary and democratic leadership said crazy Muslims watched a video and rioted.
Is that present enough for you?

and btw it isn't conservatives who are bringing up the clintons bigoted past, it's people who point out the hypocrisy of others who falsely play the race card. Can I bring up the fact that the clintons are from the south which automatically makes them racist? Or does that only apply to republicans from Arkansas?

It's not that democrats are racist, it's just that they elect racists. This creates grave doubt about their judgment.

Anytime anyone wants to discuss an actual policy I'd be glad to hear it. It's always about policy.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
That man was a racist til he died.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 AM

29,487 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
'Robert Byrd Was Her Mentor': Hannity Blasts Dems for Racism 'Hypocrisy' | Fox News Insider

Hillary loved Robert Bird, that old Klansman. The Dems kept him on until he died. I remember they use to wheel the old fart out each time they needed his vote then he would go back to his office to sleep again until he was needed the next time. He was owned by big interests, that is the only thing that explains why he kept being voted in over and over again. And yes, the racists loved him.
And look at the long list of politicians that have been a part of the klan. Both sides had some but the majority was the democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klu...tates_politics

Old 08-18-2017, 01:35 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Robert Byrd[edit]

Senator Robert Byrd was a Kleagle, a Klan recruiter, in his 20s and 30s.
Robert C. Byrd, a Democrat, was a recruiter for the Klan while in his 20s and 30s, rising to the title of Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops of his local chapter. After leaving the group, Byrd spoke in favor of the Klan during his early political career. Though he claimed to have left the organization in 1943, Byrd wrote a letter in 1946 to the group's Imperial Wizard stating "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia." Byrd attempted to explain or defend his former membership in the Klan in his 1958 U.S. Senate campaign when he was 41 years old.[1] Byrd, a Democrat, eventually became his party leader in the Senate. Byrd later said joining the Klan was his "greatest mistake." The NAACP gave him a 100% rating on their issues during the 108th Congress.[2] However, in a 2001 incident Byrd repeatedly used the phrase "white ******s" on a national television broadcast.[3]

Yes, if you had watched Hannity's video it has Byrd saying "white N" on it. If he had said that now on TV he would not have gotten away with it but who knows liberals have a different set of standards they can get away with.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:00 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Senator Byrd renounced, apologized for, and spent his latter years atoning for his earlier racism.

The NAACP mourned his passing.

Whatever his other shortcomings, he was one of the great role models of our time, reminding us that we all have sinned and fall short, we all can repent and find forgiveness.

I'm dying to add some Trump quotes here re forgiveness but like Auntie Em, "well being a Christian woman, I can't".
Yeah, just like Hilary's views on gay marriage and honoring the confederacy, at 50 plus years of age, magical changed, for political expediency and votes. So too did Byrd's life time of racism, at 50 plus years of age, magical change, for political expediency and votes.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:50 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Is that today's emailed talking points in an attempt to defend the idiot in chief? Nice try. You elected an ignorant bigot. Deal with it and stop trying to deflect with shiny objects (that are actually quite dull). Deflecting with a dead man who apologized a million times. Compare that to the proud David Duke and Richard Spencer praising Trump for his bigotry.

It's quite pathetic, and if the president acted like one, it wouldn't be necessary to attempt to sully others in order to make him look better. Sad!

"....It’s also true that Robert Byrd was a member of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1940s and helped establish the hate group’s chapter in Sophia, West Virginia. However, in 1952 Byrd avowed that “After about a year, I became disinterested [in the KKK], quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization,” and throughout his long political career (he served for 57 years in the United States Congress) he repeatedly apologized for his involvement with the KKK:
“I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times … and I don’t mind apologizing over and over again. I can’t erase what happened.”
In 2010, even the NAACP released a statement honoring Senator Byrd and mourning his passing..."

Hillary Clinton Kissed by Former Klan Member
I'm sure trumps apology will be forthcoming shortly. Amazing how far back they need to go to excuse Trumps behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies