Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Although noone was assaulted. Saying words isn't assault.
Words can definitely satisfy one of the elements of assault. I did not state that the girls were assaulted. I said that they may have been assaulted. Yes, words alone are usually insufficient to constitute an assault. However, the girls stated that the HU students were aggressively berating them, and indeed at least one of the girls was battered when her hat was stolen (battery is the intentional offensive or harmful touching of another person without the person's consent).

The types of acts that fall into the category of assaults can vary considerably, but usually an assault requires an overt or direct act that would put the reasonable person in fear for her safety. Spoken words alone will not be enough of an act to constitute an assault unless the offender backs them up with an act or actions that put the victim in reasonable fear of imminent harm. Actually, given a battery occurred, it seems very likely that an assault also occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
they can press charges on the stolen hat but since it was given back, and the hat isn't worth that much I don't see how it would be a valid argument in court.
I'm not going to argue about taking this to court.

I'm just trying to make you and others understand that you do not have the right to assault, batter, or commit theft against another who peacefully expresses his/her political opinion.

How is this even an issue of debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,709,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm black in the US and I'm doing just fine. I make 6 figs, and I worked hard to get where I am on my own. I just worked hard, made good decisions, networked with good people, and was myself. People saw me for me, not for "that black dude".

So don't speak for everyone, bud. Opportunity is out there, just stop acting like "being oppressed" will get one there. The victimcard is boring and doesn't work in the real world and I refuse to say that I'm oppressed.
Did I say I'm talking about all black people? I clearly said black peoples just have to work extra hard, which is true. I mean good for you, but not everyone can say they've had the same experiences. You may not have been discriminated against or racially profiled before, but A LOT have.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Many people I know view the MAGA hat as a modern version of a KKK hood. It disturbs them even more because being a racist and white supremacist is now a mainstream thing that many white people are proud to be a part of. You can disagree, but to many Americans a MAGA hat or Trump tshirt is an open endorsement of racist rhetoric and actions.
You might want to look for a more intelligent group of people to associate with.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:50 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It doesn't matter what you think it means. If it means something else to a lot of people, why would you provoke them?

How about you learn to take the lashings like Dems had to for the past 8 years?

The difference is white people aren't oppressed and fighting not to be. Sorry.

Concerning your last comment.............I think there are at least two White teenage girls who would strongly disagree.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:50 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Did I say I'm talking about all black people? I clearly said black peoples just have to work extra hard, which is true. I mean good for you, but not everyone can say they've had the same experiences. You may not have been discriminated against or racially profiled before, but A LOT have.
Um, yes, you kinda did.

"Literally being a minority in the US is all the example you should need. They have black institutions for a reason"

And to the second bolded point, yes I actually have. Numerous times. Your point?

Get out of that stupid "group think mentality". That actually is more condescending to us blacks than anything. That we can't do anything because "WAH BLACK DISCRIMINATION".

Are you a minority yourself? Or a white person who thinks they know so well about being a minority in this country? Because if the latter, you're a part of the problem and you don't even realize it.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Example? Literally being a minority in the US is all the example you should need. They have black institutions for a reason. Please don't play dumb.
you see all minorities as automatically 'oppressed', evidence be damned?

that's just sad.

ok, let's try again. Obama is an American, and a minority.
how is Obama 'oppressed'?

Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
As I posted above, that is not an example of irony.

Let me illustrate irony for you, using your arguments:

You assert:

So, safe spaces are necessary and beneficial to young black intellectuals. But, young black intellectuals do not understand the concept of personal space?

Would you assert that an individual's personal space should be safe?

If yes, then those HU students violated the high school student's personal safe space when they battered her and stole her hat.

There's the irony!
On your questions, yes they are necessary, especially for black intellectuals to be taught from a black perspective. There are very few mainstream schools (and unfortunately not all HBCUs) that truly teach about black intellectualism, black history, and black culture, from a black perspective. HU is an institution that does this.

In regards to personal space. Again, the girls were not harmed and she was not "battered." The hat also was not "stolen." It was snatched off her head and one of the people in her group gave it back to her. It is interesting how many of you characterize a non-violent incident as violent.

Also on personal space, people need to personally consider the space they are in, especially when they are a visitor. The high school students were welcomed on the campus. They came to cause a scene and were responded to the way they wanted to be responded to and IMO less so because really not much occurred.

You and others want to victimize these girls and act like they actually were harmed in a variety of ways, but if a black person is responded to in an all white space in a similar fashion on a day to day basis, you tell them to get over it. These girls and those of you so worried about the supposed violence inflicted upon them should also get over it especially since they were not harmed and saying F**k is not assault. If that were the case then we'd all be pressing charges on people every day.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:52 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Words can definitely satisfy one of the elements of assault. I did not state that the girls were assaulted. I said that they may have been assaulted. Yes, words alone are usually insufficient to constitute an assault. However, the girls stated that the HU students were aggressively berating them, and indeed at least one of the girls was battered when her hat was stolen (battery is the intentional offensive or harmful touching of another person without the person's consent).

The types of acts that fall into the category of assaults can vary considerably, but usually an assault requires an overt or direct act that would put the reasonable person in fear for her safety. Spoken words alone will not be enough of an act to constitute an assault unless the offender backs them up with an act or actions that put the victim in reasonable fear of imminent harm. Actually, given a battery occurred, it seems very likely that an assault also occurred.

I'm not going to argue about taking this to court.

I'm just trying to make you and others understand that you do not have the right to assault, batter, or commit theft against another who peacefully expresses his/her political opinion.

How is this even an issue of debate?
Dude, I haven't disagreed with you once, neither have others. I just think that you shouldn't purposefully do whatever the hell you want and don't expect consequences. The black students were 100% wrong, noone is saying their right in anyway my argument is that the girls should know better, and if the tour guide set them up, the tour guide should be fired IMO, because you really can't be a tour guide doing ignorant things like this.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you see all minorities as automatically 'oppressed', evidence be damned?

that's just sad.

ok, let's try again. Obama is an American, and a minority.
how is Obama 'oppressed'?
My point exactly.

It's kinda irritating to me when someone who's not a minority tells me "I'm oppressed", like they know better than I do.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
My point exactly.

It's kinda irritating to me when someone who's not a minority tells me "I'm oppressed", like they know better than I do.

Well if you don't claim your "oppressed" you don't need their government programs to help you. Their purpose goes away. How mean of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies