Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 10:47 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times

Advertisements

Why isn't Howard University Multi-Cultural, DIVERSE, and INCLUSIVE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I do have to wonder...if a group of black teens wore "Black Lives Matter" hats into a predominately white institution and college students took them from them, taunted them and insulted them....would so many of the defenders of the Howard students come to their defense?

Not that that's a great comparison. After all, BLM is a racist hate group much like the KKK, while MAGA is a concept every American should reasonably be able to embrace.
Again, the chances of this happening in the first place is rare, because as much as conservatives wish BLM has way too many non-blacks and in general way too much cop support to be considered a hate group, even in the most conservative college campuses BLM isn't considered hateful. But I will say you have made the best comparison in this thread so far. The problem with the girls weren't that they were white. The problem was their hat. Race had little to do or else the girls would have reported more shouts of cracker and other racial epithets.

I would still do the same thing I am doing here, the BLM guys were purposefully trying to stir things up and they should know better, than to wear BLM paraphernalia at a conservative (not necessarily white) institution. I am not defending the college kids, they are wrong and should be disciplined, I just think the girls should know better, and if the tour guide set them up or had any involvement with the planning they should be fired or disciplined in some way.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Actually, I don't need to do anything. SCOTUS has ruled that the right to free political speech includes the right to not speak.

Anyway, I think you guys are completely missing his obvious point.

If the MAGA cap-wearing girls were entitled to do what they did (and they certainly were), then why should they not complain that the Howard girls assaulted them and stole their property?

Come on. Think!

Even if they believe that, they (the Howard U students) are responsible for their own actions and reactions, and the control of their emotions.

It is dangerous to argue that assault, battery, and theft are justified due to offense at mere words or clothing.

Even if MAGA did equate with/to MAWA, it is still protected political speech, despite the ugly nature thereof.

You are not entitled to assault, batter, and or commit theft against others due to political speech with which you disagree. If you argue that assault, battery, and theft of personal property is justified in such circumstances, then you open a door to horrible possibility.

Something irrational? Like what? Tell the person he/she is stupid? That would be OK. Rip off the person's robe? That would be battery and theft. You do not have the right or entitlement to that kind of irrationality.

No, they are not.

They are exercising their Constitutionally protected natural right to freely and peacefully express their political opinion. Where do you people get the notion that this equates with "hiding behind the Constitution"?

----
Not at all analogous with what the MAGA cap-wearing girls did at Howard.

The MAGA cap-wearing girls at Howard expressed in a peaceful manner their political opinions. Nobody at Howard was reasonably threatened. The reaction of the Howard girls was unlawful assault, battery, and theft of personal property.

Our Constitution takes into account that there are many diverse ideologies among our populace. That is precisely the reason that our founding fathers included as the 1st Amendment in our Constitution an explicit reminder that peaceful political expression is an unalienable right of the people - all of the people. Nobody has a right to assault, batter, or commit theft against those with whom they disagree on political ideology.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp, people.
Excellent post.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I don't think it was a crime, per se either. But, they should have reacted much better than that. Taking and stealing the hat is acting like they're little children. And if the girls were doing it to provoke a reaction, blame the media for that due to all this "everything is racist" narrative. They can barely even drive a car, yet alone understand politics.

What's troubling is that ignorant kids were being ignorant kids, and the school empowers the students to take off other people's hats. No. Just no.
Also wanted to mention, that we are not aware of what response the institution will have with the students in question who attend HU. We don't know if the person who knocked the hat off the girl's head was a student or not nor a majority of the social media posters.

Most of them IMO were not typical of HU alumni or students. HU also runs a lot of community programs so those who responded to the girls on campus may not have been HU students at all. Most colleges start back to school this week or early next week. I wondered if those who responded were at Freshman orientation programming. If they were, they were just out of high school themselves and have not been taught how to appropriately respond to people who purposefully seek to provoke a negative response from black Americans in order to perpetuate stereotypes. Both sides were immature and reminded me of high school students; however, again, no violence occurred and I wouldn't consider a hat getting knocked off someone's head to be "stealing" (like the girl mentioned it was in her Twitter post) nor would I consider it battery. High school kids act like that in the US for our foreign friends.

FWIW the idea that battery was committed reminds me of my roommate in college. We were on campus and she was walking up the sidewalk practicing a step routine for a step show a little while waiting on me to put something in the library drop. And a group of guys rode by in a car and she looked up smiling and they sprayed her with a super soaker water gun LOL. Today, people would say she was assaulted lol

She was mad I laughed but she laughs about it now too.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because most white people don't want to go there. I may not know but do Howard have a sign that says "Whitey not allowed" at the school or on their website? Many people who would go to the school see 90% demographically black, and decide not to go just on that alone, not again because they are racist, but because they think it would be a culture shock or something else etcetera.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is...

Old 08-22-2017, 10:59 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's the definition of a crime by legal statute.

Not that I care as I don't believe in the State.

It's a clear violation of two tenets within the non-aggression principle, which I do abide by.

*Battery
*Theft of private property
Yeah, I suppose you are correct here, technically. Like I said, I don't condone it at all. That's my only real point.

Had they just got verbally mad, sure. But touching someone who doesn't want to be touched, in any manner, nope.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
there is a big difference between "friends" or "teammates" doing it or some incensed stranger.........

Perhaps you do not consider it an assault to have your hat knocked off..........I would. You have to respect the fact most people would NOT at the least consider it offensive..........

Teenagers? I thought this was on a college campus....... not high school.
I said opposing teammates. They were strangers to me. Oftentimes when we won games and the other team were butthurt about it, they'd do something petty like knock a hat off one of our heads either during or after the "handshake" portion of the game. It occurred a lot.

I've also had hats pulled off my head while walking down the street. I'm not going to cry and call it battery. But again, I think a lot of people are "soft" today.

On teenagers, most college students for undergrad are teenagers.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is...

Not it isn't.

Ethnicity of Students from U.S.0.8% American Indian/Alaskan Native
1.4% Asian
95.3% Black/African-American
0.5% Hispanic/Latino
0.0% Multi-race (not Hispanic/Latino)
0.2% Native Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander
1.9% White
0.0% Unknown

Howard University Overview - CollegeData College Profile

Old 08-22-2017, 11:03 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yeah, I suppose you are correct here, technically. Like I said, I don't condone it at all. That's my only real point.

Had they just got verbally mad, sure. But touching someone who doesn't want to be touched, in any manner, nope.
Yep.

The mental gymnastics to defend aggression is staggering.

Sadly, it's what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies