Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 11:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Because most white people don't want to go there. I may not know but do Howard have a sign that says "Whitey not allowed" at the school or on their website? Many people who would go to the school see 90% demographically black, and decide not to go just on that alone, not again because they are racist, but because they think it would be a culture shock or something else etcetera.
Howard is multi-cultural and diverse. "White" is actually not a culture. I went to an HBCU and we had French, German, Irish, and Spanish students (from those nations). We also had West Indians from nearly every island in the Caribbean and we had S. American and Central American students.

People fail to acknowledge the fact that there are various cultures of black people. So all black colleges are multi-cultural. You name says "Nigerian" in it and IMO Nigerian culture is not the same as a black person from America 100% nor a black person from S. America or the Caribbean. Immigrant blacks are very well represented in HBCUs. I also went to school with quite a few people from the Middle East and other parts of Asia. There were also a few white students. IMO whites are less likely to place themselves into an intense "minority" position versus other ethnic groups in America, which is why you see less of them at HBCUs. The white students I knew (there were only 3 but we did have a lot of half black/half white students) were raised in black families (two were former foster children who had black adoptive parents) and so were comfortable at an HBCU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 11:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not it isn't.

Ethnicity of Students from U.S.0.8% American Indian/Alaskan Native
1.4% Asian
95.3% Black/African-American
0.5% Hispanic/Latino
0.0% Multi-race (not Hispanic/Latino)
0.2% Native Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander
1.9% White
0.0% Unknown

Howard University Overview - CollegeData College Profile
So you think all black people have the same culture....?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not it isn't.

Ethnicity of Students from U.S.0.8% American Indian/Alaskan Native
1.4% Asian
95.3% Black/African-American
0.5% Hispanic/Latino
0.0% Multi-race (not Hispanic/Latino)
0.2% Native Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander
1.9% White
0.0% Unknown

Howard University Overview - CollegeData College Profile
I think she is talking about diversity within the Black community. Their might be a high percent of Africans from different countries and backgrounds and a high percentage of Caribbean immigrants. Take in mind the Black ethnicity in the U.S is only 80-85% African American the rest are Africans and Caribbeans. Even in the AA community their is diversity like those from the rural south, and the inner city, west coast, Creole people and Gullah people etc.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Howard is multi-cultural and diverse. "White" is actually not a culture. I went to an HBCU and we had French, German, Irish, and Spanish students (from those nations). We also had West Indians from nearly every island in the Caribbean and we had S. American and Central American students.

People fail to acknowledge the fact that there are various cultures of black people. So all black colleges are multi-cultural. You name says "Nigerian" in it and IMO Nigerian culture is not the same as a black person from America 100% nor a black person from S. America or the Caribbean. Immigrant blacks are very well represented in HBCUs. I also went to school with quite a few people from the Middle East and other parts of Asia. There were also a few white students. IMO whites are less likely to place themselves into an intense "minority" position versus other ethnic groups in America, which is why you see less of them at HBCUs. The white students I knew (there were only 3 but we did have a lot of half black/half white students) were raised in black families (two were former foster children who had black adoptive parents) and so were comfortable at an HBCU.
True an even then their is also diversity within the Nigerians, and other nations that aren't ethnostates. For example Fula people vs. Calabar vs. Yoruba vs. Benin vs. Igbo vs. Hausa vs. Ijaw and the list goes on.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
So you think all black people have the same culture....?
so a 100% white school is acceptable since not all white people have the same culture either?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:19 AM

404 posts, read 193,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post

On the hate group aspect, it is hard to see a group that has openly called for the killing of police and rioting as peaceful.
True. In addition, were the Black girls a bit jealous maybe?. To have pretty White sorority girls show up at Howard must have really irritated the Black girls there.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
True. In addition, were the Black girls a bit jealous maybe?. To have pretty White sorority girls show up at Howard must have really irritated the Black girls there.
???

The girls were 16, not in sororities. And why would they be jealous, exactly?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:22 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Yes it is harmless too if no harm was made to the woman.

But in regards to the bold - I find it odd that you all overlook the fact that that is what the girls were doing. They were using their attire to "start something." If I wanted to be overly "deep" with my line of thought, I could easily construe them walking into the space with such attire as an "act of aggression or violence." But I'm not going to do that.
I would certainly hope not and it would not be deep, it would be inaccurate. Also would not hold up in court.
The two teen girls were not going to a place full of adult minorities looking to be in a brawl.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so a 100% white school is acceptable since not all white people have the same culture either?
I mean why would a school be 100% any race in the U.S? Again the only reason Howard is 90% anything is because some people aren't okay with being a minority, and culturally they were used to most of their friends being white. Howard is only racially homogeneous because many people of other races overlook it. Their are plenty of schools just as white as Howard is black, the thing is they tend to be average schools an just have the demographics of their local area.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times
As usual, they do something to provoke a response and play the victim when they get the response. Why would you show up to a HBCU wearing that garbage? They knew what they were doing. SMDH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies