Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

They gave themselves a bad name refusing to help the East coast States, apparently because they are blue States. Christie is showing he is a better man, voting to help Texans even after Texans refused to help his people.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:29 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
That is bull and Christie knows it.

Ted Cruz was NEVER against relief for Sandy. He was however principled enough to stand up to the SWAMP when they attached a big pile of non-Sandy related spending to the relief package.

Christy is of by and for the SWAMP... or maybe of by and for Christie.

he and all the left suggesting hypocrisy can go fly a kite

Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1988 View Post
I'm in Houston right now and its pretty bad. And for those folks saying "ha Houston should've left when they had the chance" no offense but kindly **** off. I went through Hurricane Rita and found out first hand how big of a pain in the ass it was to evacuate out of Houston. You had alot folks stranded on the highway and some even died. Now imagine that same scenario plus crazy flooding? The death toll would've been insane. Hell my family and I would probably been killed or at least seriously injured. Saying how everybody could left like its that damn easy is ridiculous. You don't know the circumstances and you probably didn't go through Rita. They Mayor made the right call. Evacuating millions out of Houston isn't as easy as snapping your fingers and presto everybody is in a safe magical place.

Instead of trying to point the blame at the mayor or Houstonians themselves....put that energy into finding a way to help the victims out here....emphasis on "victims". B/c I think that some people (your typical internet experts) forget that the people of Houston are victims in this and those so called experts would rather blame, point fingers, and judge. This entire situation out here is heartbreaking. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US and one of its most powerful and yet some areas out here look like 3rd world countries. You have folks who lost everything from family photos that they can never get back to that nice computer or TV that they worked their ass off to get. This isn't funny people. It's real. I've been in Houston for years and I've never experienced anything like this. Hell my street never floods but it did this time. The street where I work is completely underwater. The Popeyes where I would go to go which is a few miles from me....yeah that street is also underwater. It's scary.

So yeah, help your fellow man/woman out. It ain't about who's to blame or skin color or orientation or religion. At the end of the day, we all bleed red. To the other folks who are also dealing with this terrible situation, you guys be safe and God bless.
Hundreds died during the evacuation during Rita in 2005. 48 hours to reach Dallas. Cars ran out of gas. Gas stations ran out of fuel and closed. No water. No food. No room at hotels. Cars caught on fire. One of the worst was a bus containing evacuees from a nipursing home. The bus exploded given most had oxygen tanks.

The then Mayor was blamed for the deaths resulting from his evacuation Oder no different than how the current Mayor will be blamed for not ordering evacuation.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd imagine insurance companies will be doing their best to weasel out of paying flood insurance claims.
Those with no insurance loose everything and will rely on government social programs for assistance.
And then we get to call them lazy liberal leeches! Boy oh boy.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:34 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Their you go. Christie now has a scape goat to hide his mishandling of Sandy recovery.
Different issue. While that is true, do not conflate the two.

(It's "there," btw.)

Old 08-29-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
That is bull and Christie knows it.

Ted Cruz was NEVER against relief for Sandy. He was however principled enough to stand up to the SWAMP when they attached a big pile of non-Sandy related spending to the relief package.

Christy is of by and for the SWAMP... or maybe of by and for Christie.

he and all the left suggesting hypocrisy can go fly a kite
Will Cruz vote against funding for Texas is someone adds pork to the bill? I doubt it. Maybe they should put them to the test.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Although I usually believe in shared responsibility for such disasters, Cruz and many Texas republicans have been against having others pay for such disasters in the past. Should Texans pay for their own disaster or should we all?
It sounded like Trump promised to bail everyone out.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hundreds died during the evacuation during Rita in 2005. 48 hours to reach Dallas. Cars ran out of gas. Gas stations ran out of fuel and closed. No water. No food. No room at hotels. Cars caught on fire. One of the worst was a bus containing evacuees from a nipursing home. The bus exploded given most had oxygen tanks.

The then Mayor was blamed for the deaths resulting from his evacuation Oder no different than how the current Mayor will be blamed for not ordering evacuation.
There's always two sides to every story and every decision made. This is a good example. Sometimes there really isn't one answer/solution that is clearly better than the other.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Will Cruz vote against funding for Texas is someone adds pork to the bill? I doubt it. Maybe they should put them to the test.
If he did that then indeed one could point out the hypocrisy. Until then, one can't. Politicians are scum for adding millions of dollars in unrelated items to a relief package and should always be condemned for it.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Houston metro is more than 6 million. The rain and flooding is not limited to Houston proper.

Houston was evacuated in 2005 in anticipation of Rita. . 48 hours to Dallas for what is normally a 4 hour drive. Hundreds died on the road. Thousands of cars ran out of gas. People ran out of water and food. Thousands experienced heat exhaustion. Hotels were filled. Gas stations closed.

Media reporting most roads are flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies