Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,284,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You've been on this board since 2012?
LOL! Amazing, ain't it!

Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,189,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why would they need to plan? Shouldn't they already have a plan in place?
Seriously? A plan for a once in a lifetime flood? There was no way to predict how horrible this storm was going to be. Like I said, areas that never flooded are under water. If Turner called for evacuations for only certain areas, then people would be criticizing him for not evacuating everyone.

And once again, the logistics. Schools, arenas, stadiums, churches, etc., are used as makeshift shelters in Austin, San Antonio and Dallas, but they have normal operations to run, so they can't just wait around for the off chance there's a 500 year flood and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of Houstonians have to be bused to their city. Never mind food, supplies, medical care, volunteers (who already have their own jobs) that would be needed.

You can't have a plan for that.

All I have to say is "Rita".

Old 08-31-2017, 09:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,977,389 times
Good for them doing the Right thing. I would add that the majority of Churches did the same thing, except for a few notable exceptions, that will be between them and their God one day.
As for the haters here, it is what you do and no one expects anything different, you cannot be anything other than what you are.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:52 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,334,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Osteen vs. the Mosques: Evangelical Christians and Muslims both profess to do charitable works as a core of their beliefs. The difference is that Muslims actually do it.
Osteen preaches the 'prosperity doctrine', not Christian evangelism. Having listened to his sermons it was all about having more material possessions and more good to come your way because God says so verse _____

nowhere was there the Christian doctrine. God was mentioned that is about it. It was just feel good charismatic preaching.

Do you think anyone who followed that religion would open up their church willingly?

and most Muslims are sincere believers so I can see their willingness.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:54 AM

30,372 posts, read 23,840,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
No one gives a **** about your horribly thought-out, short-sighted, irrelevant opinion. Of course, you couldn't answer any of the above questions and obviously don't understand the logistics and how much planning that would've taken in such a short amount of time, especially given what happened with Rita, so you are the last person who should be calling anyone stupid.

Signed,
Every Houstonian
No, you don't speak for every Houstonian. My brother and his friends don't agree with you. They are engineers. I'm going to take their word over yours.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-31-2017 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What they are hiding are the specific chemicals at this plant.

Until recently, they were required by law to file forms that detailed all of the chemicals.

This is essential information for firefighters, public health officials, etc.
Can you cite a source that says they are no longer required by law to file forms that detail potentially dangerous chemicals?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Common sense and history should tell you how impossible it would be to have a complete evacuation. So do tell me which day specifically would the mayor and others issue evacuation orders, simple question. Keep in mind it's not just the City of Houston but the entire surrounding area, so what day does the order come down.

Honestly, the only network I have heard that perpetuates this myth is Fox News and Sean Hannity but that is to be expected.
LOL I haven't even heard it on Fox. Or Hannity, which I did watch last night. Maybe I've missed it. It's not like it's the only network I check in on or like I watch the news 24/7.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hannity? He's pushing this nonsense?

Good grief.
This is a Fox article:
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/08/2...backs-decision

I don't usually watch Hannity so I can only speak for last night and I didn't see him talking about whether or not Houston should have been evacuated last night.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:01 AM

51,673 posts, read 25,930,713 times
Churches are pretty good emergency shelters. Lot of room for cots. Usually kitchens, bathrooms, toys for the kids.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 AM

39,117 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Osteen preaches the 'prosperity doctrine', not Christian evangelism. Having listened to his sermons it was all about having more material possessions and more good to come your way because God says so verse _____

nowhere was there the Christian doctrine. God was mentioned that is about it. It was just feel good charismatic preaching.

Do you think anyone who followed that religion would open up their church willingly?

and most Muslims are sincere believers so I can see their willingness.
Thanks for the insight. I have never heard him speak outside yesterday on TV where he came across as the personification of superficiality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies