Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Eastern Europe fought for its freedom, maybe the Cubans should do the same instead of just running away. Did you watch the news last night and see the Tibetans doing the same?? That's bravery.
Yes, and the Tibetans will probably be crushed by tanks. The only thing stopping China at the moment is that they don't want a huge boycott of the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
My family is from the United States. I vote, pay taxes and am informed so that the US will not become a totalitarian government. If it were to become that way, I would certainly not illegally enter into Canada, I would stay and fight (with my life if need be) for my freedom.
Nice evasion of his question. Or maybe I'm just right.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Nice evasion of his question. Or maybe I'm just right.
What on earth does where my ancestors are from have to do with this? I am an American citizen...I didn't swim over illegally- the Cuban basketball (or whatever) team DID. I'm trying to keep the focus on them, since that's the name of the thread...not 'Mimimom escapes to the U.S.', or maybe you haven't read the title??

Old 03-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Yes, and the Tibetans will probably be crushed by tanks. The only thing stopping China at the moment is that they don't want a huge boycott of the Olympics.
At least they're fighting, they are dying for freedom and a cause they believe in. I respect that.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:20 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
What on earth does where my ancestors are from have to do with this? I am an American citizen...I didn't swim over illegally- the Cuban basketball (or whatever) team DID. I'm trying to keep the focus on them, since that's the name of the thread...not 'Mimimom escapes to the U.S.', or maybe you haven't read the title??
This will be the 4th time I have asked you where your family is from. You avoid answering, pretend not to understand and get defensive. You do anything but give a straightforward answer. It can only be because the point would be made that you are in the US because your own ancestors fled from somewhere else to here for a better life. Fighting against oppression is brave. Not answering a question because it would show up your hypocrisy and inconsistencey- now that's cowardly!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:58 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
...and my contention is that anyone who enters the US without a visa is here illegally. Cubans are fleeing from poverty just as much as Mexicans are. If Cuba were a wealthy communist country, I doubt we'd see any people floating away in boats.
The cubans aren't here illegally. Not sure how much simpler I can express it.

If you think coming from Cuba is like coming from Mexico you are sorely mistaken.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
... If Cuba were a wealthy communist country, I doubt we'd see any people floating away in boats.
If anyplace were a wealthy communist country they would be killing those trying to get in.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 PM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Yes they did.
Agree. Being Cubans they didn't break the law. We're still a nation that's supposed to be under the rule of laws, not feelings.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
This will be the 4th time I have asked you where your family is from. You avoid answering, pretend not to understand and get defensive. You do anything but give a straightforward answer. It can only be because the point would be made that you are in the US because your own ancestors fled from somewhere else to here for a better life. Fighting against oppression is brave. Not answering a question because it would show up your hypocrisy and inconsistencey- now that's cowardly!
Where my ancestors came from isn't germane to the conversation. I think you are actually on the point of becoming harassing. I don't pretend to not understand, and I don't get defensive. It's not pertinent. Suffice it to say that my ancestors aren't from any kind of a totalitarian regime, and were not pressed to flee from either economic or political upheaval.
You can keep asking all you like, it's not pertinent. There is a certain group of posters on CD which, due to a paucity of intellect, descend to ad hominem attacks. I steer clear of them.
My original point (and I haven't deviated from it) is this: Cubans don't deserve 'political' asylum in the US anymore. Perhaps in the late '50s during the actual Bautista revolution, and mostly because many of the refugees at that time worked with Americans. Certainly not the Cuban soccer team. These guys. like immigrants from Mexico and Central America, need to either stay in their country and fight for political and economic justice or wait in line for a visa. I maintain that both are cowards, treasonous to their people and unwelcome here. My opinion has nothing to do with American citizens such as myself who have a long and productive history in the US.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
The cubans aren't here illegally. Not sure how much simpler I can express it.

If you think coming from Cuba is like coming from Mexico you are sorely mistaken.
Again, if Cuba were an economically wealthy communist state no one would leave. The people leaving Cuba, like those fleeing Mexcio and entering the US illegally, are doing so for economic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies