Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times

Advertisements

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/...-beyond-awful/

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,148 times
Horrified that people are suffering, schadenfreude that the oil companies are hurt, because he thinks they are responsible for part of it. Surprised by his take?

Old 08-28-2017, 06:56 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
If you believe he is a hero to all liberals, you are mistaken.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Stop pretending he's a "lib hero"

Seriously, that's the idiocy of the far right in a nutshell right there.

A progressive goes on these boards and posts some bigoted or stupid thing Trump or some prominent right-wing lawmaker or other person with power says or does, and the far-right jumps up to defend him, regardless of what horrible things he said or did. Heck, they even tried to justify that right-wing killer in Charlottesville a few weeks back, and we still have people claiming even today on this forum that the Klan and Nazis are "not violent?!"

Then, the far-right counters with some fringe "left-wing" nobody without a scrap of actual power and attempts to claim that "all left-wingers support this guy" and he has power comparable to the president or other lawmakers. Amusingly, unlike with the justifable attacks on Trump, nobody ever shows up to support these "left wing" clowns because - surprise! - they don't actually represent progressive values. Instead, they are a caricature of the far-left, unlike the disturbing reality of the far right and the 1 in 3 Americans who still blindly support Trump.

Posts like what the OP wrote here are utter BS. We progressives do not support that clod - hell, I'd never even heard of him until now, because like most progressives, I don't go around trying to find a way to harm big business and cost people jobs. He's clearly an idiot if he things hurting oil companies is a good thing, and he has no power, which is a critical factor in this discussion.

Right-wingers: Get the powerful and dangerous bigots and thugs in your own party - from Trump and other lawmakers down the line - under control before you start picking fights about fringe, powerless "left-wing" lunatics that most of us progressives would never support.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
It's news to me the Cenk is a liberal hero. I actually don't think I know anyone who's particularly fond of him. I'd also imagine most people I know haven't even heard of him. They most likely know the Young Turks, but again, I don't know many people who are fond of their show.

As for his tweet... meh. He doesn't like oil. I'm pro-green energy, but actually pretty centrist. I'd consider initiatives to make fossil fuels more energy efficient to be on par with green energy policies as it seems unrealistic at this point to phase them out completely. We need them, so let's make them more efficient and do as little harm to the environment as we can. But as I said, his tweet does nothing for me, one way or the other.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
I'm just too old for the young Turks.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:52 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It's news to me the Cenk is a liberal hero. I actually don't think I know anyone who's particularly fond of him. I'd also imagine most people I know haven't even heard of him. They most likely know the Young Turks, but again, I don't know many people who are fond of their show.

As for his tweet... meh. He doesn't like oil. I'm pro-green energy, but actually pretty centrist. I'd consider initiatives to make fossil fuels more energy efficient to be on par with green energy policies as it seems unrealistic at this point to phase them out completely. We need them, so let's make them more efficient and do as little harm to the environment as we can. But as I said, his tweet does nothing for me, one way or the other.

Never heard of this hero. Why are we supposed to care what he says, again?

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 08-28-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Never heard of him.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:05 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
I had to google his name.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Never heard of this hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Never heard of him.
Exactly.

This is why getting so many people getting their news from an echo chamber is a very bad thing. The reason the OP think Cenk is a liberal hero is becasue he's frankly very easy to make fun of. He's ridiculously slanted and has a delivery that is honestly a little comical at times. He's also not a very good debater; he's clumsy and gets flustered easily. So he's an easy target for the alt-right types.

But, liberals don't actually like him... or even know him. The Young Turks isn't really all that popular, and he's certainly not a well known figure. But, that can't be the narrative. So they (alt-right media outlets) decided to tell their viewers that Cenk's popular so that they can use him to make fun of liberals.

The OP most likely isn't even phased by nearly every liberal here either saying they don't like him or saying they have no clue who he is. Because his echo chambers tells him otherwise.

And in fairness, there are people on the left who get their news from echo chambers too. It's a serious problem becasue it leads to situations like this, where someone has a improper understanding of what his political opponents think, but is using that to discredit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies