Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to forfeit 800,000 American job opportunities?
Sure, why not? We are generous. 46 34.07%
No! Are you crazy? 76 56.30%
I don't care. 13 9.63%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:51 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,117,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm actually back in Louisiana now, but to your point, as an example of assimilation, I would say the Cajuns in South Louisiana have assimilated into American culture despite their French background. Many people are proud of their partial French ancestry, but they don't wave the French flag and speak English fluently without a French accent (the Cajun accent which is less common than before is different than actual French accents). The people of Italian American descent also do not speak with an Italian accent.....

I am of Chinese descent but was born in America and and culturally assimilated. if I have any accent at all it would be slightly Southern.

So you are saying basically that these Mexicans in LA do not assimilate well into American culture.
You know that the French in Lousiana came from Acadia -- that's why their french accent isn't what you would identify as France French.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 PM

10,259 posts, read 15,995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That isn't true at all. I talk to second, third and fourth generation Hispanics all the time and second generation is 50-50 at best if they have an accent. Will you say just because someone speaks English with a Chinese, Japanese or Korean accent their not American? Again they may have learned Spanish from their parents first but their are undeniably culturally American and an accent doesn't change that.
Not just that, a lot of those people eat mainly Mexican food and listen to Mexican music and are noticeably self-segregating themselves from mainstream culture. As the son of immigrants who still takes pride in some aspects of my parents culture, there is no excuse for someone who came to America before age 8 (like Obama claims these Dreamers) to not speak good American English or to have at least adopted SOME aspects of American culture in terms of food, dress, music, etc. Many illegals in fact make a point to refuse learning the English language and demand bilingual education in public schools and translation services using tax money. Many people in areas like South Texas, South Florida, and Southern California also live in areas that are so predominantly Mexican or Cuban that they don't feel a need to learn English and hence many do not.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 PM

1,323 posts, read 591,196 times
This has been fun kids, but my youngest is up now for a feeding. I need to hurry and feed her before a dreamer snatches my breast milk.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 PM

1,330 posts, read 702,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
None of this changes the fact they are here illegally.
So then find a way to make them legal citizens.

10,259 posts, read 15,995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You know that the French in Lousiana came from Acadia -- that's why their french accent isn't what you would identify as France French.
And before Acadia, they were from France.......

Compare that to the French Canadians in Quebec who are a very unassimilated minority that as recently as 20 years ago actually were so disloyal to Canada they wanted independence. The Chinese, Korean, Indian, Eastern European immigrants in Canada are also less assimilated than their counterparts in the US. And the Canadian model of open immigration and non-assimilation is what liberals and Democrats want in America.

14,736 posts, read 14,725,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
No he means he majority of illegals that have gone into the daca problem spent more of their life in the home country . This means they have more of their home country culture instilled in them than American culture .
Do you have any data to back up your assertion? Most of the stories I've read we're of those who came as young children and only know life in the United States.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,540,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
There have been some posters here that compared ending DACA to what the nazis did to the Jews. That's reprehensible.

Now comes a California assemblyman, Marc Levine (D-San Rafael) who says ending DACA is "ethnic cleansing". What can you say about a lunatic like this? The left is going berserk but this is beyond the imagination.

I wonder if we are headed to another civil war. People like this are unhinged. Any sane people who are left in California need to abandon ship. It's already like a third world nation here.

California legislators look to protect DACA recipients - LA Times
They are unhinged . They can't be trusted . Show me DACA people that are getting sent to gas chambers . Marc Levine and these others are disgusting for even trying to make some sick analogy .

Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,540,809 times
One great point he made is we can't just accept everyone . If we did that we'd have billions of people in poverty from around the world here .

Illegals have already helped to make California the state with the highest poverty rate if you account for cost of living .

We need to put America and legal Americans first .

Old 09-05-2017, 10:02 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,457,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
1) Dubya left office with two stupidly mismanaged wars that he started and the worst economy in 3 generations. Obama could have slagged on him a lot about those, but he held back quite a bit.

2) tRump was the racist birther in chief for years and since taking office has done nothing but whimper and whine since moving into the WH.

Both of them knew the job. One took office under very difficult circumstances and left the country in much better condition than he received it.

The other one is tRump.

Beginning with the 1993 attack on the WTC, as the US was attacked over and over by al Qaeda, Clinton did nothing. When GWB took office, the 9/11 attacks were already several years in planning and implementation. And while Bush haters are quick to point out that the actual attack took place on Bush's watch, we all know that anything done to prevent terrorist attacks by Bush would have been deemed racist.

In the end, we adopted an extreme pro-active war policy based mostly on paranoia. This paranoid and aggressive policy, when established, was supported by all the top Democrats. These Democrats were the same ones calling for regime change in Iraq as early as 1998, and for all the same reasons. It was only in 2004, when Democrats realized they needed to oppose Bush on the Iraq War for political purposes, that they realized their mistake in initially supporting the President (and before that too).

Clinton passing the buck got us two wars in the Middle-East. Clinton, Bush and Obama passing the buck on the North Korean nuclear program has given us a terrorist regime with nuclear ICBMs. Iran will soon join them and we still have no plan to keep US cities from being incinerated.

Meanwhile, "Trump is a racist" seems to be your way of avoiding any debate in which you might be called to account for your guy's inaction and bumbling.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...se-our-13.html

Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,295,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Do you have any data to back up your assertion? Most of the stories I've read we're of those who came as young children and only know life in the United States.

and then they can learn the life of their native country quick....they have their parents and family back in their native countries waiting for them and teach them the way of life there.

just like when young immigrants come here, they learn our life quick......give them a t.v. set and send them to the public schools, let them mix with the crowd and It will take 6 to 12 months for anybody to catch on....it's faster and easier for kids than adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies