Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to forfeit 800,000 American job opportunities?
Sure, why not? We are generous. 46 34.07%
No! Are you crazy? 76 56.30%
I don't care. 13 9.63%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:21 PM

17,561 posts, read 9,356,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
except that many items on Trump's supposed agenda can be shoehorned in via budget reconciliation with 50 votes and Pence being tie-breaker. However, Cheeto Jesus lacks any ability or desire to actually do the hard work of governing and wrangle the legislature alongside party leadership; thus the giant nothing-burger of a legislative legacy he enjoys presently.
If you think that "Cheeto Jesus" can remove the Filibuster .... I'm almost ready for that.
Your choice, is that what you really want???? Better think about it.
I'm in favor (at this point) because the Left has gone Totally BatGuano Nutter & I see no other option.

I'm not a fan of "Reconciliation Bills" .... I tend to remember the good old days (over 10 years ago) when the US Congress ACTUALLY passed a REAL Budget Bill. I should go on record now that I've never been a fan of "Comprehensive AnyThing" ...... only the UNIPARTY comes up with this garbage in back room discussions.

How about a Totally Novel Approach - Bills no longer that 3 pages that address a single issue at a time.
Some the Folks that actually pay these BOZO's salary can easily understand without all the Special Interests gimme-gimmies that are Poison pills inside the Legislation.

All of that is a bit Off Topic ....... because we ALL know by now that DACA/DAPA was NEVER "Law" and NEVER Constitutional and ALWAYS on the back of a President that didn't even believe in the US Constitution and separation of Powers.

I would bet every single thing I own (and it is substantial) the the Great Obama would NOT agree that today's current President of the United States has the Power to Nullify Law and create the "law/rules/policy" that Mr Trump wants to be the new "Law of the Land" without a single world about it from the US Congress.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:21 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,458,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...28667336499200

Good grief. Trump just told Congress not to worry if they don't pass a bill. He let them off the hook before they even start negotiations. He'll revisit DACA if they can't pass a law.

Does Trump even know what he wants on DACA?? He said one thing to his voters and is doing another. I'm exasperated with this guy.
Well heck..what's the fuss..Trump as much as said that DACA is not going away...he'll 'revisit' it?

Congress will just kick the can back..and Trump will cave. Oh, and the Alt/right gets screwed again.

Hmmmm...I like it

Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,986,659 times
I don't think anyone complaining has actually read Trump's statement.

Here's the full statement, and an excerpt below. How anyone can call these words meaningless is beyond me.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ement-on-daca/

"While new applications for work permits will not be accepted, all existing work permits will be honored until their date of expiration up to two full years from today. Furthermore, applications already in the pipeline will be processed, as will renewal applications for those facing near-term expiration. This is a gradual process, not a sudden phase out. Permits will not begin to expire for another six months, and will remain active for up to 24 months. Thus, in effect, I am not going to just cut DACA off, but rather provide a window of opportunity for Congress to finally act."

Old 09-05-2017, 07:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 16,630,745 times
Obama's legacy is whining about Trump's actions on all the temporary/bandaids he put on problems he left for the next President.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:23 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,379,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Is it just me or do we only have one POTUS at a time? I really can't get past the arrogance of his weighing in after he spent so much time praising Bush for not weighing in and after admonishing (rightfully so) Trump for weighing in before he was inaugurated. I personally don't like Trump, but Obama needs to respect the same courtesy he was given by the former POTUS when he was ushered into office.
It was Obama's illegal E.O. that created this situation. DACA was illegal. Let Obama take care of these people. Let him explain to them why they cannot stay here. They are illegal aliens. Period.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,473,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obama damn near destroyed America. Trump is restoring it. Fools love dictators. That's why they like Obama. They don't like Liberty. They want to be subjects of a King.
Hello Pot, meet Kettle

Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was watching the news both on the English stations and on the Spanish Station. With the amount of children that are here illegally and are benefiting from DACA I have not seen any of them offer a solution. I don't see any solutions from Congress or Trump. I understand that they are here illegally. I am a big rule of law kind of guy. Many of these kids had no idea that they were born outside pf the United States.

What I have seen and find it interesting is the number of Mexican Flags being flown. I have also seen people holding United States flags. I saw someone holding a sign that said "People are not illegal". The act of coming here with or without your knowledge does not change the fact that something illegal has happened.

We could argue all the points on DACA all we want but still I don't see a solution.

Something that I thought of is allowing these kids to serve the Nation that they say they want to stay in. Could we offer up a two year to five year service solution for these kids? Options could be to join the military,
volunteer time for a period of years or hours of service. 40 hour work week for 50 weeks is 2,000 hours of service a year. Have these kids work two years of service, or more. Possibly a variation of the above.

These are people that are marching to stay in the United States. Offer a service solution and see how many are willing to do what it takes to become legal Citizens.

Let me know what you think. With my limited way of thinking I have no knowledge of what I am offering as a solution would work, or if it has been discussed before. What do you think?
Maybe you missed this: GOP Rep. Mike Coffman On Keeping DACA : NPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikithetiki View Post
Some facts about our "Dreamers"

73 percent of DACA recipients he surveyed live in a low-income household (defined as qualifying for free lunch in high school);
22 percent have earned a degree from a four-year college or university;
21 percent have dropped out of high school;
20 percent have no education beyond high school and no plans to attend college;
59 percent obtained a new job with a DACA work permit, but only 45 percent increased their overall earnings;
36 percent have a parent who holds a bachelor's degree; and
51 percent were already employed before DACA.

https://t.co/MXEjY6EDFd?amp=1
1. So?
2. The college education rate for the general population ages 25-29 is 34%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat..._United_States
3. The drop-out rate for the general population is about 17% for 2017, the best rate ever.
The High School Graduation Rate Reaches A Record High
4. So? About 30% of the general population of HS graduates does not enroll in college.
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/hsgec.nr0.htm
5. Big whoop. Most are still quite young.
6. So? About 32% of people over 25 in the general population have a college degree. Op cit, #2.
7. Again, so?

WRT employment and education, it looks like the DACA recipients are about like all other Americans.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,404,084 times
The overwhelming vast majority will never be caught which means they will still be better off than they might have otherwise.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,661,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Why didn't Obama and the fully democrat controlled house and senate solve this problem when they had the chance six years ago?

I can tell you why. Democrats planned for this fiasco because their motto is "never let a crisis go to waste".
Or it could be that there were 50+ blue dogs who lived in districts that would promptly vote them out of office for supporting such a thing.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:27 PM

30,389 posts, read 11,997,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Why didn't Obama and the fully democrat controlled house and senate solve this problem when they had the chance six years ago?

I can tell you why. Democrats planned for this fiasco because their motto is "never let a crisis go to waste".
They were too obsessed in starting Obamacare. The illegals were a lower priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies