Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Let's say, for a moment, you are a member of an involuntary state. And that you are hellbent on confiscating my property.

I've never seen this happen, and thus, have zero reason to expect it. Therefore, the risk of its occurrence is so low that buying a firearm would be an admission of psychosis. I would be of unsound mental capacity to believe that such a threat existed and required the acquisition of a gun.

It would also be nearly stupid beyond measure to assume that by possessing a firearm would in any way change the course of the battle that would occur between several armed members of an involuntary state.

But let us assume, for a moment, that I am a statist and you, the involuntary statist militia hellbent on confiscating my many Tom of Finland paintings. You just want to sell them, it's for someone else, I'm sure.

I would make one phone call, and your ass would be institutionalized for five months before you even saw a lawyer.

Here is something you, and by extension every other person with your particular gun fantasy, should consider: Why is it that you have the guns, and yet I have to do very little in comparison?

More to the point, to whom do you believe I placed the call?

Hint: It wasn't to the police.
You've never seen it happen? Taxes are confiscation of private property at gunpoint. I mean...you can rationalize it all you want but they are.

I have no idea what the other aspects of this diatribe are related to.

A man buys something. Armed agents of a group he never agreed to do business with (the government) show up at this door and demand he turn it over to them.

That's all this is about. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
In other words, armed agents of an involuntary state-- whatever the hell that means-- are not going to knock on my door and confiscate my property.
They're not? Are you sure? Because the very subject of this very thread is about armed agents of a state (involuntary or otherwise) knocking on people's doors and confiscating their property.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You've never seen it happen? Taxes are confiscation of private property at gunpoint. I mean...you can rationalize it all you want but they are.

I have no idea what the other aspects of this diatribe are related to.

A man buys something. Armed agents of a group he never agreed to do business with (the government) show up at this door and demand he turn it over to them.

That's all this is about. Plain and simple.
So the deeply impoverished citizens of the U.S. Virgin Islands should hang onto firearms not because of looters post-Hurricane, but because... government?

You do know that by definition, poverty means not having a lot to take, right?

In this theoretical world you've constructed, the transaction doesn't occur because the man is from the U.S. Virgin Islands and does not have the money to buy anything in the first place.

Do you understand that?

Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
So the deeply impoverished citizens of the U.S. Virgin Islands should hang onto firearms not because of looters post-Hurricane, but because... government?
If an involuntary party shows up at your door, armed, and demands your personal property they are not in the right? You can dance all you want but that is what it boils down to.

Quote:
You do know that by definition, poverty means not having a lot to take, right?
So it's OK to steal from the poor because they won't miss it?

Quote:
In this theoretical world you've constructed, the transaction doesn't occur because the man is from the U.S. Virgin Islands and does not have the money to buy anything in the first place.

Do you understand that?
It's not theoretical, it's reality. Your world is constructed based on a fictional social contract.

Confiscation of the fruits of your labor at gunpoint is theft and slavery.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:15 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I think all of you gun nuts should head on down to the Virgin Islands right away and fight for your rights! There are boats leaving from Miami for all you freedom fighters. Don't delay! They need you down there packing your heat and open carry and cash and carry and carry and conceal! And be sure to sport your cammo pants, boots, MAGA ball caps, and vests with all the little pins of freedom. Go right now! Hurry!
Can you define what a "gun nut" is please ?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree with the Governor on this one although I normally support gun rights. The U.S Virgin islands has a murder rate of 32.9 per 100,000.
FBI Says The Virgin Islands Has The Highest Murder Rate In The Country - Virgin Islands Free Press

If a Hurricane hits the murder rate will skyrocket and the small police force wouldn't be able to handle the fact that a large percent of the youth even on the small island it is are crooks. The place is small but they need to be able to confiscate criminals weapons too, I personally wonder how the criminals get their weapons on such a small island and I guess it is by stealing from law abiding citizens.
So now the only ones left with firearms are the criminals and Law Enforcement / Military. Sounds good...

Old 09-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well there are some scheduled outages but we anticipate losing power earlier. St. Croix has been going on and off already. Not sure why. Smh.

I wish you luck thru this. It is definitely looking bad.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
I lived for several years in Brazil, and that didn't even happen when the man who owned the skyscraper I lived in was a genuine drug lord. And I mean he was the real deal, as in, "they already have lots of very dangerous weaponry".

My apartment was broken into a few times in Paris, but the thing about break-ins is that the real criminals involved will make no move if they even suspect someone is home.

I still do not own a single gun, nor will I ever. What an absurd notion to entertain. I don't know what first world suburban delusions you have allowed to fester, but if I seriously believed armed agents were going to break into my home at any moment (they aren't), I wouldn't buy guns.

That is what an idiot would do. That is the action only someone completely ignorant to the ways of power and influence would take.

In other words, armed agents of an involuntary state-- whatever the hell that means-- are not going to knock on my door and confiscate my property. The Yakuza aren't casing my joint.

I do not need a gun to tell you with absolute certainty that armed agents are not going to have the power to confiscate my property. Keep your little guns if they give you the illusion of control against a frightening delusion.
While we are tossing around the term idiot. You obviously know nothing about America. Most of the guns people own here are also used for hunting or target shooting and as a by product, self defense and home defense. It is much more easy to kill a deer with a gun than a knife.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Can you define what a "gun nut" is please ?

Someone that respects the Constitution, and our Natural Rights as Human Beings.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:58 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
It's true, Rush was right! Irma is a liberal conspiracy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies