Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What a ridiculous response.
I suppose if a gun brings you peace of mind in the face of a Category 4 hurricane, everything else probably does seem ridiculous.

The U.S. Virgin Islands are not a state. They do not even have federal representation. It's a territory, and they are not guaranteed Constitutional rights.

They don't even have the right to vote. The Supreme Court reminded Congress only a few years ago that the issue of citizenship in the Virgin Islands was theirs to decide, and so far, they haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I suppose if a gun brings you peace of mind in the face of a Category 4 hurricane, everything else probably does seem ridiculous.

The U.S. Virgin Islands are not a state. They do not even have federal representation. It's a territory, and they are not guaranteed Constitutional rights.

They don't even have the right to vote. The Supreme Court reminded Congress only a few years ago that the issue of citizenship in the Virgin Islands was theirs to decide, and so far, they haven't.
What don't you understand? Nobody is claiming that you're likely to need a gun during a major hurricane. What people are arguing, however, is for after the fact when less than good people (or just desperate people) may be more prone to commit certain acts against their fellowship citizen. Whether the U.S. Constituion applies in full to U.S territories does not change this fact. Nor does the fact that the largest city in the island chain has only 19,000 residents.

Moving along, whether U.S. territories have full voting representation in congress doesn't change the fact that, as a general matter, Congress has the authority to exercise absolute control over the territories, even if Congress has allowed for some form of self governance.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:

Putting the Constitution aside how do you feel about armed agents of an involuntary State knocking on your door and confiscating your private property?

Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Putting the Constitution aside how do you feel about armed agents of an involuntary State knocking on your door and confiscating your private property?
I lived for several years in Brazil, and that didn't even happen when the man who owned the skyscraper I lived in was a genuine drug lord. And I mean he was the real deal, as in, "they already have lots of very dangerous weaponry".

My apartment was broken into a few times in Paris, but the thing about break-ins is that the real criminals involved will make no move if they even suspect someone is home.

I still do not own a single gun, nor will I ever. What an absurd notion to entertain. I don't know what first world suburban delusions you have allowed to fester, but if I seriously believed armed agents were going to break into my home at any moment (they aren't), I wouldn't buy guns.

That is what an idiot would do. That is the action only someone completely ignorant to the ways of power and influence would take.

In other words, armed agents of an involuntary state-- whatever the hell that means-- are not going to knock on my door and confiscate my property. The Yakuza aren't casing my joint.

I do not need a gun to tell you with absolute certainty that armed agents are not going to have the power to confiscate my property. Keep your little guns if they give you the illusion of control against a frightening delusion.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:00 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Talking So, you're another one of those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
From what WIHS2006 said, apparently the U.S. Constitution does not apply in the US Virgin Islands. C'est dommage.

(Whether it applies to the states of the union is a whole 'nother subject.)

Will this encourage the people of the USVI to apply for admission as the 51st state in the Union? (Or 58th if you're an Obama acolyte)

Just an FYI

The Dems held 58 primaries in 2008.

Carry on.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...results/votes/

Old 09-06-2017, 07:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
I lived for several years in Brazil, and that didn't even happen when the man who owned the skyscraper I lived in was a genuine drug lord. And I mean he was the real deal, as in, "they already have lots of very dangerous weaponry".

My apartment was broken into a few times in Paris, but the thing about break-ins is that the real criminals involved will make no move if they even suspect someone is home.

I still do not own a single gun, nor will I ever. What an absurd notion to entertain. I don't know what first world suburban delusions you have allowed to fester, but if I seriously believed armed agents were going to break into my home at any moment (they aren't), I wouldn't buy guns.

That is what an idiot would do. That is the action only someone completely ignorant to the ways of power and influence would take.

In other words, armed agents of an involuntary state-- whatever the hell that means-- are not going to knock on my door and confiscate my property. The Yakuza aren't casing my joint.

I do not need a gun to tell you with absolute certainty that armed agents are not going to have the power to confiscate my property. Keep your little guns if they give you the illusion of control against a frightening delusion.
Sooooo no answer to the question of having private property confiscated at gunpoint by an involuntary State?

Check.

Don't feel bad. Most statists have no way to defend the indefensible.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sooooo no answer to the question of having private property confiscated at gunpoint by an involuntary State?

Check.

Don't feel bad. Most statists have no way to defend the indefensible.
Let's say, for a moment, you are a member of an involuntary state. And that you are hellbent on confiscating my property.

I've never seen this happen, and thus, have zero reason to expect it. Therefore, the risk of its occurrence is so low that buying a firearm would be an admission of psychosis. I would be of unsound mental capacity to believe that such a threat existed and required the acquisition of a gun.

It would also be nearly stupid beyond measure to assume that by possessing a firearm would in any way change the course of the battle that would occur between several armed members of an involuntary state.

But let us assume, for a moment, that I am a statist and you, the involuntary statist militia hellbent on confiscating my many Tom of Finland paintings. You just want to sell them, it's for someone else, I'm sure.

I would make one phone call, and your ass would be institutionalized for five months before you even saw a lawyer.

Here is something you, and by extension every other person with your particular gun fantasy, should consider: Why is it that you have the guns, and yet I have to do very little in comparison?

More to the point, to whom do you believe I placed the call?

Hint: It wasn't to the police.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
The Virgin Islands has a population of 106,000. Spread over multiple islands.

The largest city in the Virgin Islands has a whopping 19,000 people, which is... not even one square block of the neighborhood I'm sitting in.

The only reason we are considering the Virgin Islands right now is because of its use to our military, which has a substantial presence there.

So before you go all 2nd Amendment Armchair Lawyer on me, cool it. The only people with anything to steal are in resorts, and their valuables are back on the mainland.
Good to know you own or have nothing worth defending, strange since I always found that the less someone has the more important it is to them and hence more willing to fight for it.
So, what is the average reaction time for law enforcement help there, seconds, minutes, days? Life is full of choices, you make yours, I will make mine, I will not influence or force your will or choice to fit mine, please return the courtesy.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Good to know you own or have nothing worth defending, strange since I always found that the less someone has the more important it is to them and hence more willing to fight for it.
So, what is the average reaction time for law enforcement help there, seconds, minutes, days? Life is full of choices, you make yours, I will make mine, I will not influence or force your will or choice to fit mine, please return the courtesy.
You would be correct.

66% of the Virgin Island's population are on welfare. 31% live in abject poverty.

The remaining few are earning minimum wage at resorts.

What exactly is it that you believe these people even have to guard? Chairs? Plaster?

Roaches?

Unless you can steal poverty, I have no idea what the hell you people think there is to take. In your imaginations, are the impoverished citizens of a resort community hoarding gold bars?

Do you ever think? Beyond having thoughts, do you actually think?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Checking, I see that registration of all firearms is required in the VI. Coincidence? OK, anti-gunners - make your case that registration is *not* a prelude to confiscation.

This just solidifies the reasons for those living in free states under the US Constitution to never register our weapons.
Well, you need the ones they know about, in case you have to shoot an intruder, but they don't need to know about your hobbyist stuff.

Some people have hobbies like making crafts, and some people have hobbies like preparing for the zombie apocalypse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies