Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I expect we will continue to see mass shootings like this until new drastic new gun laws are enacted, which I have a sneaky feeling, is the goal all along.

Its utterly amazing to me how soooo many people can be conditioned to the point they would give up or change constitutional freedoms for the sake of security/ safety! That is tyranny right out in the open, but its being done in a way where majority of people will welcome it with open arms, its really a great accomplishment if you think about it, what better way to ensure there is NEVER another revolution in this country?...simple, make everyone believe tyranny is in their best interest! LOL

Ive said on another thread, if England had used this same 'tactic', there never would have been an american revolution, they would have just convinced everyone a monarchy was best for them, everything was being done for their safety and security, even if it didnt seem like it.

Its something the founding fathers could not have foreseen and guarded against either, its basically brainwashing the public into taking the side of Govt/ authority, I have to give them credit what they have achieved, it has definitely succeeded.

...said by the same people who talk about denying people with "mental illness" rights.

Which has precedent? A person who is a bit off kilter to not be institutionalized, or every person who may be slightly off kilter being monitored by government institutions so a few overgrown children don't have their access to firearms restricted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Wow a bunch of responses to a tragic happening and no one has blamed Trump ?
The Lefties must be sleeping in this morning.

Seriously though in this case like many others like it the warning signs seemed to be there and no one took notice.
Whatever drove this kid to bring the gun to school and start shooting would have just as easily driven him to bring a knife if a gun wasn't available. He could have even driven a car through the bus stop.

The mental illness not being taken seriously is the problem. The gun or any other weapon is an expression of his anger and frustration.
We all need to be more vigilant for these kids that are falling between the cracks and see no other way out except to hurt or kill others.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
They apparently did report him to the school administrators but ..... Maybe had he had a PICTURE of a gun they'd have stopped him and brought the police in before tragedy occurred.
Another terrorist attack in London. Things happen. Can't ban guns. Can't ban moslems.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They apparently did report him to the school administrators but ..... Maybe had he had a PICTURE of a gun they'd have stopped him and brought the police in before tragedy occurred.
Another terrorist attack in London. Things happen. Can't ban guns. Can't ban moslems.
The videos they showed of the kid seem to show a pretty unhappy, twisted kid.

Here I go inside to play video games BY MYSELF!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Sadly, we will never be able to stop these kinds of tragedies in crowded public institutions. Itś the nature of grouping. Every once in a while theyĺl be an incident.

If we outlaw guns theyĺl find another way. It might limit the amount of destruction and the severity of injury someone can do, but it will not prevent it.

Itś just based on chance. It is a sad event.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...demy-willesden

Hundreds of knives are among weapons seized from schools across the country, figures have revealed as police chiefs warn of a “worrying” spike in the number of young people carrying them.

The majority of seizures involved children, including some as young as five, according to police figures released under the Freedom of Information Act.

Data from 32 forces in England and Wales shows that 2,579 weapons were seized at schools between April 2015 and the beginning of this year, including axes and air guns, as well as almost 500 knives.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-wales-weapons

Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Some parents are in denial about how creepy their kids are and do not take precautions.

I have seen weapons in the room of a "troubled" kid, a legal adult at the time, but mommy lets him keep the weapons in her home.

Parents certainly enable these kids to do their killings even if they have their guns locked up. An older kid can easily access them.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
um yes. What kind of culture have we created that parents with a child under psychiatric care allow their kids access to guns?

It isn't normal people.
The same society that would allow that same child access to a car. Access to knives. The same society that feels a child should be allowed to make the decisions of an adult. The same society that uses video games to baby sit their children. The same society that feels it's everyone else's fault. The same society that feels entitled.
Why didn't we have school shootings 30 years ago or 40? I brought a gun to school everyday to hunt after school. Most of my classmates did. What changed?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:54 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
This is a sad situation and I am reading that there were many signs ahead of time. Parents need to keep a better eye on their kids and friends need to speak up when they hear things that are hinky. Parents aren't supposed to be "friends" with their kids and you have to be the "jerk" that knows what is going on in their lives.

Signs and warnings failed to prevent Freeman school shooting | The Spokesman-Review

Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
In Washington State this time. A sophmore who had been toying with the idea and playing with guns forever.

This is the scariest situation for me. How does a kid like that get guns like that?

He's a sophmore, he shouldn't have access to guns. Where are his parents?

Why didn't someone report his actions to the police?

Why did they just report it to the school?

As Americans we freak out about a terrorist attack in London and don't even really acknowledge this event.

WHAT? What is wrong with us.

I'm not asking for all gun owners to have to have more restrictions but I do wonder how this kid got his guns, what kind of parents, system allows this to happen.

Way too many school shootings in our country for us to be ignoring this problem?

Quote:
um yes. What kind of culture have we created that parents with a child under psychiatric care allow their kids access to guns?

It isn't normal people.

I guess the true question is, do you care about just school shootings or shootings in general?

Did you care about those children that were shot in drive by shootings a few years ago, in the same weekend? Do you care about the constant killing that happens others places than just in schools?

Your TRUE answer will tell a lot about where you actually stand, if you even have a stance....

Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Another shooting in a state run, gun free zone. I wonder what meds he was on?
Adam Lanza was not on any meds. Perhaps if he had been medicated the massacre would not have occured.

The common link amongst most school shooters is an obsession with prior school shootings/ shooters and access to firearms, not medications.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-15-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies