Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:18 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Gee... last time I give you props.
Haha nooooo! Now i feel bad. Sorry if I came across harsh, I read your response as "a decent attempt, but here's what I found that negates everything you said." I was just saying I don't think your example was good enough to show left-swing smearing. And I feel to argue as such is propping up a strawman that makes it easy for every right-leaning poster to come here and knock down.

I don't think a few activists attacking Shapiro is evidence of a wide-spread smear campaign by the "left" as a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It may just semantics to you.

If you are going to have a debate about a portion of society that does not approve of free speech, be specific about it.

Here is what 'the left' has been accused of (these are all direct quotes) so far in this thread:

"the left lives by the mantra that if you cant defeat them call them racists."
"The left thinks everyone is a white supremacist."
"He disagrees with the progressive left which makes him a white supremacist in their minds."
"Intellectually and morally vapid lemmings"
"any white you disagree with is a racist Nazi republican supremacist homophobe."
"the left hates stereotypes"
"they need to created villians and the villians they've created are anyone who doesn't go along the far left narrative that every white person is a white supremacist"
"That's why they never condemn it" (referring to violence)

...and on and on it will go because some people only read the first post.

When you create a thread naming 'the left' it is not just about semantics, it's about being accurate.

I'm left. I do not think Ben Shapiro is is a white supremacist. I do condemn violence. I do not think anyone who is not on the left is a white supremacist. I do know who Ben Shapiro is.
AND I do believe in free speech.
I condemn those who try to shut it down and every 'leftist' I know would probably agree with me.

We are talking about a portion of the left don't seem to have been informed how important free speech is.

When you create threads like this you do nothing to further the debate, you just portray an inaccurate picture and give people permission to stir up yet more unfounded hatred of 'the left'.
Great post, this was exactly the point I was trying to make, but you did it better! (wouldn't let me rep you unfortunately.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:18 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I don't know if Shapiro himself is a white supremacist but he is more than willing to provide his support to people that are. He is like the Jews that helped round up their own people for the Nazis in exchange for special favors.
Yeah, just like that, shorman. Such a fine comparison you have provided for us. We could really use more Nazi analogies.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:

If you are going to have a debate about a portion of society that does not approve of free speech, be specific about it.

Here is what 'the left' has been accused of (these are all direct quotes) so far in this thread:

"He disagrees with the progressive left which makes him a white supremacist in their minds."
"any white you disagree with is a racist Nazi republican supremacist homophobe."
"they need to created villians and the villians they've created are anyone who doesn't go along the far left narrative that every white person is a white supremacist"

When you create a thread naming 'the left' it is not just about semantics, it's about being accurate.

I'm left. I do not think Ben Shapiro is is a white supremacist. I do condemn violence. I do not think anyone who is not on the left is a white supremacist. I do know who Ben Shapiro is.
I condemn those who try to shut it down and every 'leftist' I know would probably agree with me.

We are talking about a portion of the left don't seem to have been informed how important free speech is.

When you create threads like this you do nothing to further the debate, you just portray an inaccurate picture and give people permission to stir up yet more unfounded hatred of 'the left'.
That is done by design, if you think about the amount of energy and time spent on this "crisis of free speech" you would think state governments were passing legislation against free speech, you got some overhyped college kids who do not want to hear that in their campuses, I dont think they are necessarily thinking about the bigger implications, then you have college officials that do not want to deal with the protest and drama so its easier to cancel those events.
Its not like they couldnt book the closest private venue to Berkeley and say whatever they wanted.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:34 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,118 times
What I really don't understand is how any centrist-democrats, the people who supported Bill Clinton or Obama's first term when he was rallying against illegal immigration, still support the democratic party. The new left doesn't even want your vote.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Its not like they couldnt book the closest private venue to Berkeley and say whatever they wanted.
Actually, it is like that. What makes you think leftist harassment and violence is limited to events on campus?

Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Anyone who is not a democrat is now a racist......

Old 09-15-2017, 07:04 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Quote:

I respect what you say here, and commend your honesty -- but sadly you are in the minority as a liberal.
I don't understand how rational liberals like yourself don't see what's actually going on with the left these days.
It's not just a handful of radicals -- read the comments on liberal media, look at the huge number of violent events, anarchy and hatefest within the left. Post after post here by liberals accuse anyone they disagree with or who supports Trump as a racist. We have democrat journalists, celebrities and even a state senator advocating the assasination of our president because they disagree with him. Where's the outrage from dem
leaders??
Repeatedly we've seen the oppression of conservatives and the destroying of free speech with no outrage from dem leaders. Sorry, but you are a minority in the dem party.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:

Agreed. Although the part about "vapid lemmings" rings true enough. More so on the left anyway.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I respect what you say here, and commend your honesty -- but sadly you are in the minority as a liberal.
I don't understand how rational liberals like yourself don't see what's actually going on with the left these days.
It's not just a handful of radicals -- read the comments on liberal media, look at the huge number of violent events, anarchy and hatefest within the left. Post after post here by liberals accuse anyone they disagree with or who supports Trump as a racist. We have democrat journalists, celebrities and even a state senator advocating the assasination of our president because they disagree with him. Where's the outrage from dem
leaders??
Repeatedly we've seen the oppression of conservatives and the destroying of free speech with no outrage from dem leaders. Sorry, but you are a minority in the dem party.
No, I'm not a minority liberal. The problem with the comments you read on social media and the comments you read on C-D is that they tend to only represent the far extremes of society. Most people are far more rational and centrist.

Saying things like "the majority of the left thinks the right are all white supremacists" is every bit as bad as saying "the majority of the right are white supremacists". Neither statement is true.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:

Maybe so.

But you are one Leftist out of millions.

And the majority of them seem perfectly content to let the inmates take over the asylum.

Or are at least afraid to speak out in defense of common sense the way you did here, less they be branded with a scarlet letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies