Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:52 PM

29,594 posts, read 16,577,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Because I can like black people but admit to not liking the dominant black culture? Or something specific I said that you see as being in error?
in context to the way individuals talk. If you argued that people should only speak perfect English, then Ok, but your argument seems to only be the african american vernacular which is close to Southern English.

Im only using this example because it is one of the easier ones to flesh out.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:54 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Yup OP is racist.

The irony seems lost on the OP.

To the OP, 'black culture' or what the OP thinks most/all black people live like equates to rap music, gangster culture, bling, and whatever other black stereotype I'm missing.

To the OP, only a tiny percentage of black people are 'good' folk.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:56 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,817,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You are mistaking ghetto rap culture from black culture. Sadly, unless you have some black friends and colleagues, the only exposure you get to black people are the poor and the glorified gangsters
Every time a thread like this comes up, that gets pointed out. I've even more than once typed out a description of "black culture" (to the degree there even is a unifying one) that describes common aspects of black American folks across many spectrums. It gets ignored in favor of what they already have in their heads.

People make threads like this to vent about stereotypes and they just want validation. No use even trying.

So... how about those Ravens?

Old 09-17-2017, 01:57 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,151,306 times
Quote:
As you wish. When you actually have something besides whining, feel free to come back and do a little better.
Whining? You mean like your OP?

Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,239,015 times
Some people really need to get out more.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
True. Blacks only make up about 13% of the U.S. population.
Yet they commit 50% of all murders.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:06 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,612,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yet they commit 50% of all murders.
Well, yeah that too.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Today the term racist gets thrown around a lot, mostly at conservatives and at the South. Does racism exist? Certainly. In the South, the north, the east, and the west. But I would submit that much of what people term racism is not simply hating people because of their skin, but disliking their dominant culture and the actions of many black people.

Am I a racist? I don't think so. Some might choose to call me so, but I would regard such as an ignorant response to legitimate criticism of black culture. I have no issue with the color of ones skin. I have major issues with a culture that is broken and breeds failure and dependency. And I do not apologize for that.
As you said, the term racist is thrown around a lot. Do some reading about the distinction between racism, prejudice and bigotry. As you described yourself you are not. HOWEVER you are quite prejudiced because you assume every black person who is portrayed in this stereotypic way is an example of "black culture". You also said your criticism of this nebulous culture is legitimate. Now THAT nudges up against the term racist.

Either way, doesn't give you a "pass Go, collect $200". I would not go around patting myself on the back for the attitude regardless which label fits it.

Racism: believing that one "race" of humans is superior to another: more intelligent, accomplished, ethical, moral, etc.
Bigotry: acting on that belief to the point of taking action....refusing to hire, pay, defend, or treat one race equally to another.
Prejudice: Assuming every individual of a group is just the same as every other member of the group without evidence to back it up.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-17-2017 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 02:09 PM

30,657 posts, read 18,276,650 times
Quote:
Then you have the thread to explain this. Please do so. Why isn't a culture that enriches fools who rap about drugs,crime and rape, that devalues education, that refuses available work, that blames every ill on others, that ingrains dependency on handouts from the more successful, that blames their rampant crime problem on everything BUT black criminals, etc, etc, broken?

And more to the point of the thread, why is a dislike and disrespect of such a culture considered racism? Why should I not have a lack of respect for such a culture?
A culture that enriches fools who rap about drugs, crime, and rape? You do realize that most of the "enriching" comes from non-blacks (last figures I saw showed that whites are responsible for about 80% of hip hop/rap music purchases). But do provide examples to show that hip hop/rap culture is about drugs, crime, and rape (and recent examples, too, not examples from the gangster rape era). And a few anecdotal examples won't cut it, not when you're trying to paint with such a wide brush.

As for education, let's look at some things: the percentage of black adults in this country with at least a 2 year associates was at 33% in 2015, up from 28% in 2007 (how that increase is a bad thing/otherwise shows a devaluation of education is news to me). College degree gap grows wider between whites, blacks and Latinos - The Hechinger Report While lower than the 47% of white adults with at least a 2 year associates (up from 41% in 2007), neither stat is anything to write home about. Both are pretty low and show that over half in each group are among what the left would call the "poorly educated."

Blacks refuse available work? How can you spew such nonsense when black unemployment rate is 7.5% (which means that, while a higher rate than the unemployment rate is for whites, the overwhelming majority of black adults are "employed")? https://finance.yahoo.com/news/black...162635060.html

Violent crime does exist in many black neighborhoods at higher rates than in some other neighborhoods, but, even then, how in the world does this show that black culture is a failed culture? Let's look at the numbers and actually think rationally here vs. using comparative statistics that don't paint the full picture. Using national statistics as an example, the DOJ/FBI statistics have shown that black offenders are responsible for over 50% of all homicides in the US annually (I think its around 51-53%). When you do the math, that's around 7,000 offenders if each homicide was committed by a different person. While disturbing numbers that show that the black homicide rate is much higher than, say, the white homicide rate when controlled for population, you do realize that this 7,000 is but a tiny fraction of the over 40 million blacks in the United States, the overwhelming majority of whom are law-abiding citizens who aren't out there killing, raping, etc. Do their contributions to society say anything about black culture, or do you just look at the bad points when generalizing as you do?

These are just a few points, though. But YOU made the claim, so YOU need to provide support to back up your claims. The original onus is on you. And, as I mentioned above, anecdotal evidence, alone, doesn't cut it.

To answer your question, no, dislike for negative aspects of a culture does not make one a racist. That said, generalizations such as the ones you make that go against the great weight of the evidence/ignore all of the many positives of a culture do make me question whether one is racist/deeply prejudiced against a group of people.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,244,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Am I allowed to comment without being labeled as a racist?
Sorry, no matter what you say about minorities you will be labeled as a racist. I am so used to being called that it doesn't bother me anymore. I just consider the source and laugh in their face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies