Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Each state has to report to HHS quarterly how the money is being spent.
You consider that "little to no accountability" ?

That report says nothing about states' general funds so can you please provide sources for your statement that "many put significant portion into their general funds" ?
https://www.cbpp.org/research/family...nf-block-grant

States use a large and growing share of state and federal TANF funds that formerly helped poor families meet their basic needs for other state services. In some cases, states have used TANF and MOE funds to expand programs, such as state Earned Income Tax Credits (EITCs) or pre-K, or to cover the growing costs of existing services, such as child welfare. In other cases, they have used TANF/MOE funds to replace existing state funds, thereby freeing those state funds for purposes unrelated to providing a safety net or work opportunities for low-income families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I posted the entire study..read it..and come to your own conclusions.

I should never have posted that chart..I see..since intellectually lazy people will just look at that..and go with it. My bad..and I apologize.

No problems then. I did go read the report and looked at the various charts.
It comes across to me though that the authors of that report are upset that more cash isn't going to the poor.

Handing cash to the poor hasn't worked out well in the past.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:

States use a large and growing share of state and federal TANF funds that formerly helped poor families meet their basic needs for other state services. In some cases, states have used TANF and MOE funds to expand programs, such as state Earned Income Tax Credits (EITCs) or pre-K, or to cover the growing costs of existing services, such as child welfare. In other cases, they have used TANF/MOE funds to replace existing state funds, thereby freeing those state funds for purposes unrelated to providing a safety net or work opportunities for low-income families.
Ok, I see now what you meant. Yeah..I would agree with that.
Without specific stringent rules from HHS pretty much any state could do that and still qualify to continue receiving funds.

That's a big issue with many of the Fed programs. They are either vague or leave out requirements and create loopholes in programs. Most of the time I think they do that on purpose.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:51 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Ok, I see now what you meant. Yeah..I would agree with that.
Without specific stringent rules from HHS pretty much any state could do that and still qualify to continue receiving funds.

That's a big issue with many of the Fed programs. They are either vague or leave out requirements and create loopholes in programs. Most of the time I think they do that on purpose.
Yeah..I understand the pressure on State Govt.. they allocate X for income assistance...TANF comes in..they think, "We can just take Y out of the income assistance pile, and use TANF to make up the difference" While the folks in DC are thinking that the number is X+Y.

In reality, for the poor, nothing changed. The number is the same.

Just worried that if health care was administered that way..the same would result.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah..I understand the pressure on State Govt.. they allocate X for income assistance...TANF comes in..they think, "We can just take Y out of the income assistance pile, and use TANF to make up the difference" While the folks in DC are thinking that the number is X+Y.

In reality, for the poor, nothing changed. The number is the same.

Just worried that if health care was administered that way..the same would result.
Anything the government gets involved in turns into a bloated, over priced, greed filled program ripe for corruption because it's too big to manage efficiently. The government may have oversight but they do very little actual management and hold anyone accountable until after millions or billions have been stolen.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:32 PM

271 posts, read 191,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Obamacare disproportionately hurts the poor http://archive.is/9OJ1p
Trump has already advised the IRS not to require anyone to put whether they had health insurance or not. So you'd need to be audited to be caught for not having health insurance or qualify for one of the exemptions, and show that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies