Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Stop with the gangs. Sure in some cities it might be an issue but many of the shootings here in Detroit have nothing to do with gangs. Last night two got shot over a video game, earlier in the year it was over a bag of potato chips, another was a kid picked up a dollar bill that was dropped, he paid for that with his life. Another was over a Facebook "beef" , I think a little girl got caught in the cross fire. Then all the retaliation shootings over the first ones. Others were over domestic things... why is killing someone considered a rational decision in a disagreement ?

It is a culture thing, we see it in "white trash" types as well, just not at the large percentages of blacks.
I know gangs aren't the only thing going on. The "he disrespected me now he must die" mentality found in hood rat culture, not much different from redneck culture. In fact, I recommend Thomas Sowell's essay "Black Rednecks and White Liberals".

Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegumbellamy View Post
You don't think it's odd that 13% of the population accounts for 54% of all murders?
I'm not really surprised. This has been going on for decades, even in the 1950s. This has been talked about over and over. I've asked this before. What do YOU suggest we do about it? You are the one bringing this up. It is for you to answer.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wow. I have one question. How does your father look at his actions today vis a vis that event?

Just thinking about the Cicero riot makes me rather sick. Seeing the riots of the 1960s throughout America makes me wonder this. How to get hundreds, thousands of people to perpetrate violence. The kind of mob mentality taking place. Alot of anger and hatred.

I suspect those rioters must have been willing to die just to keep a Black family out of the neighborhood. Going after police officers and firemen. All I can say is that was a war.

And what's ironic is this. Man In The Mirror by Michael Jackson is playing over the P.A. system as I'm typing this.
The fire fighters and LE, for the most part, did nothing. Only a few dozen LE were assigned to the riots. Probably most, agreed with the rioters.

Father is long gone.

He never expressed regret. In fact, just the opposite. He was proud and loud. He was also a member of some sort of KKK clan. The propaganda material was all over the apartments we lived in. He was a violent man from a violent family- the hillbillies. One did not debate with him, ever.

His hatered even carried over to the food we ate. We were not allowed to consume food products that came from companies that employed black people who "stole good jobs from whites". He would walk into the kitchens of diners just to see who was cooking the food. Then there were the Jews.... This was our normal.

My mother eventually divorced him, once my sister and I left home which we did as soon as we were done with high school.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
US violent crimes and murders rose in 2016, the FBI says - BBC News

"The overall violent crime rate rose by 4.1%, and the homicide rate increased by 8.6%, FBI statistics show."

That is a big increase, far greater than demographic stuff explains (or gun availability or the other bogeymans, I expect). It blames mainly Las Vegas, Chicago and Baltimore. But:

"The violent crime rate rose in cities of all sizes, the FBI said, as well as in suburbs and rural areas."

The Pittsburgh paper said it increased in 2015 also. After years, decades, of decline maybe we're going back to the bad old days of criminals ruling the streets. In the 90's we learned how to fight crime: policing and jail. But we got uncomfortable with those solutions, which may turn out to be the only ones.

While we searched (and were talked into) other ones we're less queasy about, people die.

I think the chickens BLM released at Ferguson are coming home to roost. Their NFL propagandizers are not helping matters.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-spike/541023/

the FBI’s data points to sharp geographic disparities in violent crimes in American society, with a few major cities accounting for large portions of 2016’s growth in murders and other serious offenses.

New York City’s declining crime rates also highlight the geographic incongruity in crime spikes. The city’s struggle with violent crime in the late 1980s and early 1990s made it synonymous with the nationwide crime wave of that era. Its homicide rate peaked at 2,245 murders in 1990; by comparison, its rate dropped to 335 murders in 2016. Shootings dropped by 12 percent as other major crimes fell across the board. City officials attributed the decrease to a crackdown on violent gangs, although New York City Police Department data reported only 40 percent of murder cases had resulted in an arrest.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
I'm not really surprised. This has been going on for decades, even in the 1950s. This has been talked about over and over. I've asked this before. What do YOU suggest we do about it? You are the one bringing this up. It is for you to answer.

I'd like to try. First, it might infringe on some rights and seem strict but like you said, this problem has been going on for many many years, its time to get tough.

First, an evaluation of all the cities with high crime rates needs to be done. A target rate needs to be worked out. The cities that are over it get some changes implemented.

1) Release all the prisoners that are in for petty marijuana charges, provided these weren't plea bargained charges for other heavier ones.

2) Release prisoners that are first timers with non violent crimes into some sort of work release system. Amazon was thinking of coming to Detroit, maybe try and work with them to help these people get back on their feet and move forward from their mistakes.

3) Make a statement to the citizens of the city that they have 6 months to make whatever firearms they have legal, or if one is not legal to possess one, give them a chance to turn them in. Also state that anyone caught with an illegal firearm gets a mandatory 10 year sentence and anyone using a deadly weapon in a crime gets and automatic 20 year sentence. No plea bargains. Murder gets life. These are regardless of age.

4) Start programs in middle schools to try inform children on the dangers of violence, firearms, etc. Try to get them involved in sports , college prep , etc.

5) Impose a mandatory curfew of anyone under the age of 25. If under the age of 25 and working at night during the curfew , you need a work permit. Anyone caught out after curfew without permission gets 1 year.

6) Impose stop and frisk. See a car all tinted out slowly cruising a neighborhood , pull it over and search it. See a group of kids hanging out at a street corner, stop and search.

Two to Five years of this and I'm willing to bet we see a dramatic reduction in violence and crime.

I live in a suburb and would have no problems seeing this implemented there.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 09-26-2017 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I also notice this. Most of the drug consumers who commit murder aren't killing other gang members. They're going after family members. Most Black gang members are killing other Black gang members over drug turf and profits. The love of money is the root of all evil.
Most addicts, especially opioid/ opiate, are not violent.

Meth is a different story. Most LE have established protocols for dealing with the tweak because violence is common.

An addict is probably less likely to carry a firearm than most folk. It would have long been sold or traded for their drug of choice if they had a firearm.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most addicts, especially opioid/ opiate, are not violent.

Meth is a different story. Most LE have established protocols for dealing with the tweak because violence is common.

An addict is probably less likely to carry a firearm than most folk. It would have long been sold or traded for their drug of choice if they had a firearm.
Isn't meth used more in rural areas ? Heroin seems to be more prevalent in suburbs.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
You have to be careful with all this. Las Vegas is mentioned in the FBI release but in fact Las Vegas violent crime rate is down from 2015 to 2016. The murder rate did increase but not the violent crime rate. So far in 2017 the murder rate is flat and the violent crime rate is down. So, at least as far as Las Vegas is concerned, there is no indication of a crime wave.

There appears to be an increase in gangs shooting each other. Otherwise does not seem to be anything going on.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:12 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Personally , you can label me whatever you want. I will admit, my problem is I see everything without emotion or empathy. I'm a design engineer by trade...so everything is analytical to me.
Simple cause and effect analysis does not require empathy or emotions.....just intelligence and honesty. Racism produced a lot of negative effects. All actions produce reaction and racism manifest as the act of discrimination.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Stop with the gangs. Sure in some cities it might be an issue but many of the shootings here in Detroit have nothing to do with gangs. Last night two got shot over a video game, earlier in the year it was over a bag of potato chips, another was a kid picked up a dollar bill that was dropped, he paid for that with his life. Another was over a Facebook "beef" , I think a little girl got caught in the cross fire. Then all the retaliation shootings over the first ones. Others were over domestic things... why is killing someone considered a rational decision in a disagreement ?

It is a culture thing, we see it in "white trash" types as well, just not at the large percentages of blacks.
Despite gang affiliation substantially increases one's risk that one will become a homicide statistic, the gun homicides are not necessarily gang related. Go back and read my post. So often, too often it's about nonsence posted on social media.

Another Chicago story: A woman posted some crap about another woman on FB and they were off and running. Dozens of women in ther 20's- 30's came prepared with guns and box cutters to work it out. A gun battle ensued in the middle of the street in the middle of the day. Their children watched.

One woman got into her car and rammed another into a tree. She backed up and accelerated and hit her again before taking off on foot.

LE knows who she is given she left her car at the scene. They can't find her. No one knows anything. No one talks and instead, blames. Obviously, the killer is being protected by her local community.

Another story: 14 year old girl shot up a porch full of people because someone posted something nasty about her on FB. Her uncle, gang member, gave her a gun to take care of those who disrespected her.

The same kind of cognition that would shoot over a bag of chips is more likely to become affiliated with a gang, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies