Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are white males oppressed?
I am a white male and I feel oppressed 33 21.02%
I am a white male and I do not feel oppressed 94 59.87%
I am a female and white men are oppressed 1 0.64%
I am a female and white men are not oppressed 19 12.10%
Other - please explain 10 6.37%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
I'm married. Of course I'm oppressed.
Okay, that's funny!

Old 09-26-2017, 07:10 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
I was out of work for two years after Y2K. There were two recessions in the first ten years of the new millennium. Jobs were being sent over seas by the millions. There were 195,000 H-1b visas issued every year before, during and after these two recessions. With fifteen years of experience as a programmer, age and my American citizenship were against me. I could not find a job.

I'm not oppressed by any minority group. I wasn't oppressed by conservatives or liberals. I was oppressed by greed. The greed that denied me two years wages in spite of and advanced degree in Information Systems.

Everybody seems to be condemning Trump. But even if he is a bit sincere about helping the American worker, that is more than the majority of politicians did to help while they were on the corporate gravy train. The average politician was oblivious to what was happening to the Middle class.

Here are some important exceptions:
Senator Byron Dorgan of North Dakota
Patrick Buchanan who called the practice economic treason
Lou Dobbs of CNN who was so strident about this issue that he lost his position at CNN
Michelle Malkin of FOX News and coauthor of Sold Out

Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Whenever one ethnic group is portrayed as privileged and undeserving at fault for the ills of another ethnic group, what do you think the consequences are? Whether you like it or not, it does rile people up against the ethnic group portrayed as privileged.
I'm aware that this is a difficult conversation to have. Which is why I think it needs to be a discussion/conversation, NOT a shouting match or a way to shut anyone down. It needs to be inclusive and contain perspectives from people of all backgrounds.

Being honest about the inherent biases/stereotypes in the world is a conversation worth having, however. But, humans being humans...will likely yes turn it against one another. Which often predictably happens when this conversation goes down the tube.

It doesn't help that we have a giant troll in the WH who is just pouring gallons upon gallons of fuel on this fire. It's not a coincidence that these issues have come front and center since Trump entered the WH.

Quote:
Notice how people who use this type of rhetoric dont use nuances.
I don't know who you are specifically referring to, but the entire point of this is to get around the some of the nuances that are built into implicit biases. One of the main points of this is highlighting the subtlety in how most of these manifest themselves. The vast majority of people don't even realize what is happening.

That said, of course one should pay attention to all factors at play (and examine them carefully). I won't pretend that all discussion on these topics is well formatted, well thought out, or well executed. It, again, is a really hard conversation to have. Mainly because it makes people feel targeted (when, really, they shouldn't feel that way because it is no one's fault, specifically).

Quote:
If some black person is subject to prejudice in a situation its proof of "white privilege" and "white supremacy", an oppressive system by whites to keep black people down.
It can be proof of the first point, sure. It's dependent on the scenario, of course.

I think you need to get away from the idea that this is a conscious thing that some evil manipulator or architect is managing. These systems, these biases, and these stereotypes have been built up over generations...this isn't some sort of master plan, per se (at least, anyone alive today).

Quote:
If a Korean American enjoys the same "privilege" in that situation its just ignored completely.
Race and the biases/stereotypes associated with them certainly fall on a spectrum. I think the term "white privilege" is a bad one for this reason - there's not reason to specifically highlight "white" since people of various backgrounds can have similar biases against them (although, historically, there are good reasons that "whiteness" was the focus in American society).

Call it whatever you want...it's really about the various biases and stereotypes that we hold as a society (and sometimes individually), and how those manifest themselves in real world interactions.

Quote:
This absurd rhetoric is not about recognizing any reality but simply creates divisive racial tensions. Nothing good comes out of this rhetoric.
It is actually quite specifically about recognizing reality. Often very uncomfortable realities...but realities, nonetheless.

Sure, it can be used as a way to create divisions. And it has. Unfortunately, I think this conversation has been mismanaged dramatically. It should be inclusive and contain perspectives from people of all walks of life and backgrounds.

This conversation does best in an academic scenario where everyone is genuinely interested, is taking a objective stance, and is willing to engage in an honest way with one another.

Once it enters the mainstream, it tends to get misidentified or misinterpreted...and well, go to complete crap.

I mean, just look at all of the poor definitions of "white privilege" in this thread and the many other countless threads on this topic for evidence of this widespread misunderstanding of what the topic is even about in the first place.

It is almost impossible to have this conversation at a societal level.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:15 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Oppressed? No.

Tired of being used as a scapegoat by every lazy or incompetent loser in the country for their personal failures? Yes. It gets tedious.

Tired of those same people using the racist term "white privilege" to justify not taking responsibility for their actions, and the results of those actions? Absolutely.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm aware that this is a difficult conversation to have. Which is why I think it needs to be a discussion/conversation, NOT a shouting match or a way to shut anyone down. It needs to be inclusive and contain perspectives from people of all backgrounds.

Being honest about the inherent biases/stereotypes in the world is a conversation worth having, however. But, humans being humans...will likely yes turn it against one another. Which often predictably happens when this conversation goes down the tube.

It doesn't help that we have a giant troll in the WH who is just pouring gallons upon gallons of fuel on this fire. It's not a coincidence that these issues have come front and center since Trump entered the WH.

I don't know who you are specifically referring to, but the entire point of this is to get around the some of the nuances that are built into implicit biases. One of the main points of this is highlighting the subtlety in how most of these manifest themselves. The vast majority of people don't even realize what is happening.

That said, of course one should pay attention to all factors at play (and examine them carefully). I won't pretend that all discussion on these topics is well formatted, well thought out, or well executed. It, again, is a really hard conversation to have. Mainly because it makes people feel targeted (when, really, they shouldn't feel that way because it is no one's fault, specifically).

It can be proof of the first point, sure. It's dependent on the scenario, of course.

I think you need to get away from the idea that this is a conscious thing that some evil manipulator or architect is managing. These systems, these biases, and these stereotypes have been built up over generations...this isn't some sort of master plan, per se (at least, anyone alive today).

Race and the biases/stereotypes associated with them certainly fall on a spectrum. I think the term "white privilege" is a bad one for this reason - there's not reason to specifically highlight "white" since people of various backgrounds can have similar biases against them (although, historically, there are good reasons that "whiteness" was the focus in American society).

Call it whatever you want...it's really about the various biases and stereotypes that we hold as a society (and sometimes individually), and how those manifest themselves in real world interactions.

It is actually quite specifically about recognizing reality. Often very uncomfortable realities...but realities, nonetheless.

Sure, it can be used as a way to create divisions. And it has. Unfortunately, I think this conversation has been mismanaged dramatically. It should be inclusive and contain perspectives from people of all walks of life and backgrounds.

This conversation does best in an academic scenario where everyone is genuinely interested, is taking a objective stance, and is willing to engage in an honest way with one another.

Once it enters the mainstream, it tends to get misidentified or misinterpreted...and well, go to complete crap.

I mean, just look at all of the poor definitions of "white privilege" in this thread and the many other countless threads on this topic for evidence of this widespread misunderstanding of what the topic is even about in the first place.

It is almost impossible to have this conversation at a societal level.
As long as people continue to use loaded words like "white privilege" then they know exactly what kind of reaction they will get. This type of rhetoric IS intended to rile people up. There are certain stereotypes in society and in some situations, some people are disadvantaged by that, while they will at the same time also have advantageous traits that benefit them in other situations. Thats what we are talking about. Not some grand "white supremacy" society of privileged undeserving white people. Thats intended to cause racial division, as we have seen this type of rhetoric do throughout history.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:50 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yep...but your enemies only have squirt guns.
They have the power of the federal government, local and state governments, education industrial complex and many employers. What exactly is the purpose of discriminating against European American males that had nothing to do with slavery, jim crow laws and other government discrimination policies in 2017? Why do we still have affirmative action other than to wage war on European Americans? How many times do we see a education profession go after European American men as the most evil people on this planet? It never stops.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:51 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Damn, I need to pay more attention to things. All these years and I didn't realize that war had been declared on me!!! Boy, do I feel foolish.
Seek and ye shall find

Old 10-02-2017, 03:02 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
There's been a number of posts on here asking women if we feel oppressed, if women can be white supremacists, etc. I have also noticed threads about white males being discriminated against or "oppressed." Do you agree that they are or do you think they are not?
Well of course white males are being oppresses. The racist and sexist Affirmative action doesn't help them.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Jews have been oppressed for centuries. Yet, strangely enough, they are one of the most successful cultures on the planet. If you are looking for excuses for your failures you can always find them. It's called a victim mentality and the Left loves it!

Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
I'm living well devoid of any guilt or privilege. Get a job ...or two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies