Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 04:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how about instead we deal with the REAL problem and that is criminals? guns are inanimate objects that can harm no one until there is a human agency involved, IE someone has to pull the trigger.

how many of the guns used in criminal attacks were gotten illegally? fact is most of them were.

and how many of these rampage killings were gang members shooting each other?

how many of these people are mentally defective that slipped through the system?

how many of these people could have been stopped early in their rampage if law abiding citizens had a firearm and the courage to use it?

when something like the las vegas shooting happens, the first thing people jump on is guns, and some demand more gun control. the person that did the shooting was known to police, so why was he not looked at a little more carefully? why was it possible for him to ship more than 500 rounds of ammunition to the hotel? why was he able to ship ten rifles, THAT HE MODIFIED for automatic fire to the hotel? apparently this is the kind of person that should have rang alarm bells when he checked into the hotel.

Who is Stephen Paddock, Las Vegas shooter?

so how was this guy, a convicted felon, able to get a hold of several firearms not to mention all the ammunition? and dont give me the garbage of not tough enough background checks, as if he went to a legit source to buy these guns, he would have been pegged immediately and refused the ability to purchase a firearm.
His dad was the convicted felon.
As for Stephan its going to be interesting to discover what pushed him over the edge.
When you have a nation where the 2nd amendment insures every one the right to a gun and you have 300 million guns easily available its logical to assume every once in a while some nut job is going to lose it and start shooting people,its the nature of the American beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 04:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I dunno. If a guy came after a crowd with just a baseball bat, I think the outcome would be much different.

The argument that other objects can be used as weapons is a weak one. Gun were made to kill, and can do so effectively and much more remotely than stabbing or hitting someone until they are dead.
Quiz: What was the largest mass killing at a school in US history and what method was used?

I'll take my chances with someone with a gun versus a bomb, fire, toxic gas, etc.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:35 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Now You know That is not how it works, shooting = more gun laws.

Clue People: The shooter did not get the guns he used at Bass Pro and he was already breaking the law by having them to begin with, and his actions in then using them to shoot into a concert says he did not give a darn about Laws.

Sadly what it looks like it is simply a man snapping, or as I prefer Falling Down, no one that knew him says he gave any indication of any mental issues and the man was wealthy and well liked, sometimes people just go off the deep end, I doubt anyone will every really know why.
Even more dangerously he did not give a damn about living.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A trucks purpose is not to kill. A gun is. Guns kill more than car accidents now in 21 states. A society can exist quite wonderfully with a lot less guns. Trucks serve a greater good.

...interesting because I own many guns (including the black evil ones) and I never killed anything in my life (well...swatting the occasional mosquito and, fresh of driving license, I run over a cat that jumped in front of me 30 years ago....)

No, guns are not used only to kill, people have wonderful time target shooting.....

Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
And we're back to arguing about gun control.

Doesn't any liberal find it just a touch insane that you support and encourage groups who walk around chanting "f@$k the police" and "death to pigs," engage in identity politics that actively encourage violence, and support the removal of any sort of moral framework from society but then claim that people would be less violent if you outlawed guns?

Because to anyone who isn't a liberal, it sure sounds like insanity.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:43 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
And we're back to arguing about gun control.

Doesn't any liberal find it just a touch insane that you support and encourage groups who walk around chanting "f@$k the police" and "death to pigs," engage in identity politics that actively encourage violence, and support the removal of any sort of moral framework from society but then claim that people would be less violent if you outlawed guns?

Because to anyone who isn't a liberal, it sure sounds like insanity.

To me it sounds like you're imagining things when you allege liberals " support the removal of any sort of moral framework from society "

Old 10-02-2017, 04:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
???

So criminals break laws to commit crime, and you want to impose more laws on law abiding citizens to solve that problem?

That's like let's ban all legal immigration to solve the illegal immigration problem.
Not the same thing at all.

Legal immigrants aren't a problem. Steal one and it's kidnapping You can tackle illegal immigration separately.

Legal gun owners for the most part are fine....it's the fact that they own something a criminal wants and gets, that is the problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...firearm-survey

That's a lot of guns over the years.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
I always have a good one to trip the antis....

Current highest speed limit is about 70-75 MPH on the freeway....there is no need to own a supercar and they can be very dangerous on the road driven at high speed...let's ban them unless you take them with a trailer at a race track.....or you have to demonstrate that you really need a truck in order to own one becauase you can kill a lot of people with one

Crickets usually follows....

Old 10-02-2017, 04:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...interesting because I own many guns (including the black evil ones) and I never killed anything in my life (well...swatting the occasional mosquito and, fresh of driving license, I run over a cat that jumped in front of me 30 years ago....)

No, guns are not used only to kill, people have wonderful time target shooting.....
I'll give you target shooting, but guns that are used to kill are a problem. If they were only used for target shooting we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:46 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I think the US needs to re-examine its laws concerning the reporting of mental health issues.

Here's a look at the deadliest mass shootings in the US over the last two decades:

Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas (2017): At least 58 killed

Pulse nightclub (2016): 49 killed (Terrorist attack)

Virginia Tech (2007): 32 killed (mental illness)

Sandy Hook (2012): 26 killed (mental illness)

Texas restaurant (1991): 22 killed (mental illness)

San Bernardino (2015): 14 killed (terrorist attack)

Fort Hood military base (2009): 13 killed (terrorist attack)

New York immigrant centre: 13 killed (mental illness)

Navy Yard headquarters (2013): 12 killed (mental illness)

Aurora, Colorado (2012): 12 killed (mental illness)

Columbine High (1999): 12 killed (mental illness)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies