Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Just did, and you're right. I knew they were out there, but I didn't realize how many or how popular...

Also not used in Paddock-like acts of terrorism?

"Aurora, Sandy Hook, San Bernardino and now Orlando"

- in each of these places, an assailant wielding an AR-15 rifle has claimed the lives of school children, moviegoers, people celebrating Christmas or a night out.

For a decade, it was effectively illegal to purchase a new AR-15 under statutes of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB). Following the 1989 death of five children and injuries to more than 30 people including a teacher in Stockton, California at the hands of a man wielding an AK-47 semi-automatic rifle, the US government sought to prevent the kind of mass shootings that the accuracy and speed of guns like the AR-15 and AK-47 can facilitate.

The AR-15: the most popular rifle in the US | News | DW | 13.06.2016

And now Vegas too of course...
Accuracy and speed is a factor of the user. Not primarily the weapons platform itself.

Some argue the mini14 is inaccurate... mine was bought new at Walmart when I turned 18. Made alot of wood chucks dead out to 100 yards, along with make soda cans dance at 100 yards.

Know what else is a powerful weapon that can fire fast... a 30-30 lever action.
They'll shoot clean through a Buick Century at 100 yards. And that cartridge has more "power" than a .223/5.56
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's pretty good!

Unfortunately that's their mentality.
You and your "mentality" mantra, gets old already...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Truth seeker and speaker it seems to me...

Some gun enthusiasts cling to this notion about what the founding fathers had in mind without really having a clue just how different their thoughts and considerations where then in the context of their environment during that time versus ours today. Then, they stroke each other a little more with comments about how any such mentality considering the likes is beneath them. Nice to read something a little more in the realm of reasonable and true.

That said, I must admit it hardly matters what was then versus now, because now we have over 3 million AR-15s in the hands of lots of Americans that makes it awfully difficult to do anything about. That's a whole lot of AR-15s added to the over 300 million other guns also out there.

I'm not sure at what point futility becomes the basis for simply accepting the need or want of American citizens to own/use weapons like Paddock used, but I'd like to think we can do better. The opioid epidemic is another problem that seems somewhat futile to combat, yet...
And the opiod problem is being dealt with like the gun problem. The people who actually need either are facing laws making them difficult to get because of those using them illegally.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Truth seeker and speaker it seems to me...

Some gun enthusiasts cling to this notion about what the founding fathers had in mind without really having a clue just how different their thoughts and considerations where then in the context of their environment during that time versus ours today. Then, they stroke each other a little more with comments about how any such mentality is beneath them. Nice to read something a little more in the realm of reasonable and true.

That said, I must admit it hardly matters what was then versus now, because now we have over 3 million AR-15s in the hands of lots of Americans that makes it awfully difficult to do anything about. That's a whole lot of AR-15s added to the over 300 million other guns also out there.

I'm not sure at what point futility becomes the basis for simply accepting the need or want of American citizens to own/use weapons like Paddock used, but I'd like to think we can do better. The opioid epidemic is another problem that seems somewhat futile to combat, yet...
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/s...apon-myth.html

Well, in Numbers given the statistics I had reported it seems of the 9185 homicides committed with ill intent in the line of criminal enterprise or killings, I went further digging.

248 of those deaths were from either AR or AK platform rifles.

248 of 9185. I will post the link
FBI data says 322 for 2012 248 for 2014.
Homicide Data by Weapon - Marginal REVOLUTION

Would it be fair to say the call for bans is one driven by emotion be it fear or anger? Not logic and fact?
248 deaths via AR AK platforms vs the 10k dead at the hands of a drunk driver?
248 deaths via AR and AK platforms vs the 35k fatalities in car accidents?
248 deaths via AR/AK platforms vs 39k and Change reported biological weapons carrying HIV/AIDS
Obesity is a bigger threat to everyone. Drinking and driving is a bigger threat.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"If all of you who obviously take pride in knowing all things about guns"

This the fallacy in your thinking.

I have not herd 1 person claim to be "knowing all things about gun.

MOST of us DO know a LOT about gun.

MOST anti-gunners know very LITTLE about guns.

"I heard the Chief of police in Vegas describe the guns used as "fully automatic.""

I am certain he changed that comment when he found out the the rifles were NOT full auto but were SEMI-auto and used a device called a "bump stop".

And even with tha,t it does NOT make the rifle a FULL auto.

Which IS the point. Most of the media and all the anti-gunners, including Bill Clinton went after, and still do, SEMI-AUTOMATIC rifles calling THEM "assault weapons".

If you DON'T KNOW the meaning of the words used, you CANNOT have an honest discussion.

I recall you being heavily involved in a gun thread about year or so ago and your were TOLD what the meaning of the words meant and you STILL went on an on, IGNORING EVERYTHING told to you in an attempt to "learn" you.

You NEVER did learn becuae you didn't WANT to.

All you did was argue with everybody, just as you are doing now.
Not true!

Fair that gun owners don't know all things about all guns. Not sure anyone really can, but to read the comments from gun enthusiasts that go on about all this gun detail down to the patina, you certainly get the feeling that all too many take what they DO know about guns a bit too seriously, borderline obsessive more like the better way to put it.

As noted before as well, if these "gun experts" spent less time "splitting hairs" and more time understanding the simple concept of reducing the rate of kills with the one pull of a trigger, we'd waste far less time playing the who knows what sort of gun kills at the best rate game.

You spew the same sort of nonsense when you claim I IGNORE EVERYTHING. I get awfully tired arguing these mind-numbing straw man arguments all about wanting to discredit alternative thought rather than engage in an intelligent way.

Ultimately, and also as I have made clear many times, gun violence is a "genie out of the bottle" in America, and there's just no putting her back. I am NOT FOR GUN CONTROL. I am, however, always willing to entertain what measures can possibly help prevent the likes of the Vegas massacre, despite all the noise gun nuts want to ramp up to drown out any reasonable adult conversation about that...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"so you would prefer an environment without laws?"

Exaggerate much?
Funny, ironic, don't you think? You exaggerate a good deal in your prior comment, not so fond when others do the same? Always enjoy the yuks along the way, just as I'm always reminded how these gun threads always seem to go...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Not true!

Fair that gun owners don't know all things about all guns. Not sure anyone really can, but to read the comments from gun enthusiasts that go on about all this gun detail down to the patina, you certainly get the feeling that all too many take what they DO know about guns a bit too seriously, borderline obsessive more like the better way to put it.

As noted before as well, if these "gun experts" spent less time "splitting hairs" and more time understanding the simple concept of reducing the rate of kills with the one pull of a trigger, we'd waste far less time playing the who knows what sort of gun kills at the best rate game.

You spew the same sort of nonsense when you claim I IGNORE EVERYTHING. I get awfully tired arguing these mind-numbing straw man arguments all about wanting to discredit alternative thought rather than engage in an intelligent way.

Ultimately, and also as I have made clear many times, gun violence is a "genie out of the bottle" in America, and there's just no putting her back. I am NOT FOR GUN CONTROL. I am, however, always willing to entertain what measures can possibly help prevent the likes of the Vegas massacre, despite all the noise gun nuts want to ramp up to drown out any reasonable adult conversation about that...
You want to know why we know so much about firearms? Because if we didn't, we'd likely be in jail thanks to the layering of stupid gun laws from the State on down. We are literally being forced to know everything about all firearms.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Just did, and you're right. I knew they were out there, but I didn't realize how many or how popular...

Also not used in Paddock-like acts of terrorism?

"Aurora, Sandy Hook, San Bernardino and now Orlando"

- in each of these places, an assailant wielding an AR-15 rifle has claimed the lives of school children, moviegoers, people celebrating Christmas or a night out.

For a decade, it was effectively illegal to purchase a new AR-15 under statutes of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB). Following the 1989 death of five children and injuries to more than 30 people including a teacher in Stockton, California at the hands of a man wielding an AK-47 semi-automatic rifle, the US government sought to prevent the kind of mass shootings that the accuracy and speed of guns like the AR-15 and AK-47 can facilitate.

The AR-15: the most popular rifle in the US | News | DW | 13.06.2016

And now Vegas too of course...
Well then obviously you had no idea of what you were talking about. Did you? In which case it's better to say nothing until you get your facts straight instead of making a fool out of yourself.

I'll stand by my comment that semi automatic rifles such as the AR 15 are indeed in "common use". And as such are protected under the 2nd Amendment according to the Heller/McDonald decision.

The assault weapons ban was repealed 10 years later as it was proven to have been ineffectual and was nothing more than "feel good" legislation based on an emotional response. So called "assault rifles" such as the AR 15 are rarely used in violent crimes.

Quote:
CRS: Under 2 percent of gun crimes involve assault weapons
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cr...percent-of-gun...
Despite their overwhelming popularity, assault weapons like the rifle used by the Sandy Hook Elementary killer are very rarely used in crimes, according to a ...

Assault Rifles Are Not Heavily Used in Crimes - latimes
articles.latimes.com/1992-05-20/news/mn-272_1_assault-weapon
Assault Rifles Are Not Heavily Used in Crimes. UNDER FIRE. ... But records show that the use of assault weapons to commit crimes is dwarfed by less exotic firearms.

Gun Facts | Gun Control Facts Concerning Assault Weapons
Gun Facts | Gun Control Facts Concerning Assault Weapons
“I surveyed the firearms used in violent crimes…assault-type firearms were ... were used only rarely in gun crimes.” 13. Myth: Assault weapons are used in mass ...

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-12-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/s...apon-myth.html

Well, in Numbers given the statistics I had reported it seems of the 9185 homicides committed with ill intent in the line of criminal enterprise or killings, I went further digging.

248 of those deaths were from either AR or AK platform rifles.

248 of 9185. I will post the link
FBI data says 322 for 2012 248 for 2014.
Homicide Data by Weapon - Marginal REVOLUTION

Would it be fair to say the call for bans is one driven by emotion be it fear or anger? Not logic and fact?
248 deaths via AR AK platforms vs the 10k dead at the hands of a drunk driver?
248 deaths via AR and AK platforms vs the 35k fatalities in car accidents?
248 deaths via AR/AK platforms vs 39k and Change reported biological weapons carrying HIV/AIDS
Obesity is a bigger threat to everyone. Drinking and driving is a bigger threat.
Don't forget, the estimate of deaths from medical malpractice is 170,000 to 250,000 per year.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You want to know why we know so much about firearms? Because if we didn't, we'd likely be in jail thanks to the layering of stupid gun laws from the State on down. We are literally being forced to know everything about all firearms.
Excellent point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies