Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think the intent of the 2nd amendment has been stretched and distorted. Yes, we should be able to own guns, but not ALL guns. For example, a cannon is a gun, but I bet if I put one in my front yard I would be getting a visit by the cops instantly.

We need to get sensible about gun ownership and who should be able to buy them. Just wait until the copy cat killers start to mimic this idiot in Vegas, or that ISIS says "Hey, that was a great way to do it !"

Something needs to happen to stop this madness.
LOL, someone in my old neighborhood had a cannon in their yard. We got a flyer invitation to a "cannon firing event", then a week or so later another flyer stating the cannon firing event had been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,841 posts, read 1,981,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Agreed with all of that.

Birth Control = LEGAL
ABORTIONS= LEGAL
GAY MARRIAGE= LEGAL

Edit to say that a major reasoning given for not banning abortions is that woman would still have them albeit illegally which would be worse as they would not be regulated and be dangerous. Isnt that the same reasoning given by some for not banning guns?

I am not against any of those things just stating the truth.

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
It is reasonable to believe that anybody who wants to do a mass killing will circumvent any gun law to get what he wants.

The same is true for leaders of countries who want bombs. You cannot stop them with international laws, bribes or treaties.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
A ban on any rapid fire guns and bump stocks.

A $10,000 reward to report anyone with illegal guns.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am interested in hearing from those that advocate these laws and why you think they would prevent such a crime.
If bump stocks and 50 & 100 round magazines were not readily available, the damage would have been a lot less.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,837,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am pretty sure he would have made illegal purchases if necessary - mags and weapons.

No need for bump stocks to make an automatic weapon, although you could easily make bump stocks if you want.

I can't see even if you banned all manufacturing and owning weapons and ammunition stopping this guy from doing what he wanted to do esp. given his financial status. And any poor or less resourceful person would simply resort to other crimes to get the monies necessary for such black market purchases.
Playing devil's advocate since I don't really think all out bans would be practical in the US:

If the acquisition of the guns and ammo was criminal and the black market was the only option it would be much more expensive and risky to attempt to stockpile them, but inside the point you made lies another point that actually does demonstrate that it would have a reducing effect.

Since the act of a rich person to acquire the equipment would be criminal, that increases their odds of being arrested during the planning phases of their attack. Say 10 rich people each planning their own attack start buying on the black market, and 3 of the rich people end up buying from a sting type operation and getting arrested - you now have 7 attacks instead of 10 which is a reduction.

Likewise in the case of a poor person having to commit other crimes to get the funds to purchase weapons/ammo, you now have an additional layer. 10 people commit 2 robberies each to fund their attacks, 6 get arrested for those crimes, 1 of the remaining gets arrested trying to purchase weapons, now you have 3 attacks instead of 10.

Note in the scenario the rich people still have a much higher chance of executing an attack, since they only have to take a risk acquiring the equipment instead of the funds as well. The more layers of crimes necessary for a plan to work the more likely you are to get caught before being able to execute that plan, which should basically be common sense.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,948,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Guns are absolutely the problem.
Liberals' systematic destruction of a godly America is the problem. George Washington would hang his head in disbelief.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A ban on any rapid fire guns and bump stocks.

A $10,000 reward to report anyone with illegal guns.

Totally cool with this. No need for full auto of bump stock.

Sure, probably fun at the range a few times, but seems like an incredible waste of ammo and a full-auto "assault rifle" is way more effective for crazy people to mow down innocent people than a semi-auto rifle is.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Are we going to outlaw things like this?

This "Ghost Gun" Machine Now Makes Untraceable Metal Handguns

Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
1. You must register to vote. If you are not properly registered, you should, and will be refused.
2. Since we are talking about rights, the right is stated in the context of a "well regulated militia". Outside of that, there is no written right. So you if you are in a WELL REGULATED MILITIA, then I guess it's the militia that is regulated, and that will take care of it.

FWIW, I am not suggesting this is the best answer. In fact I know it is not. But if you are going to go with the "I will stonewall you by being Captain Literal", then that sword cuts both ways. Personally, I think it would be much worse to go back to the literal words of the Constitution, and only let people bear arms if they are in a well regulated militia, but if that's your argument, you can stand behind it, and see how much support you will get. Please don't come after mine though, I'm not in a militia of any sort.
Note (Since you want to strictly stick with words): It does not say Government Regulated, anyone can setup a Militia and Regulate it well. Opps So install such a law and see Militias spring up all across the Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies