Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If bump stocks and 50 & 100 round magazines were not readily available, the damage would have been a lot less.
It would be easy to convert a weapon to auto with no need for a bump stock.

And purchases of illegal rifles and mags would also be no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
The problem is a lack of enough of a conscience to clearly define the boundaries between one's own desires and the next guy's or gal's right to life, liberty, property and the pursuit of something better.

And that in turn, can be directly laid at the doorstep of those who would overrule those rights in the name of their interpretation of "the will of God", ''the environment', "mankind", "humanity", "society", or whatever definition of "greater common good" suits their purpose at the moment.

Obviously, we need to define and enforce a set of rules; that's why we have a written Constitution and a set of checks and balances; but it's obvious from the deteriorating quality of the posts here at C-D that too many of us are more interested in harnessing state power for their own purposes than in preventing the abuse of that power.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-05-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Actually it's the opposite.
It's the gun owners that are living their lives in fear.

Not that your gun is going to any help to you whatsoever.
Well geez, didn't know I feared those deer. Thanks for the crystal ball analysis. What therapist can you recommend for being afraid of deer?

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 10-05-2017 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself with that post. You know nothing about me. I believe deeply in the existence of God. The difference between you and I is I am not a hypocrite on the subject. I believe that all life is sacred and not just those in the womb. Whereas your view is that if the abortion is at the mother's choice it is a sin; if the unborn baby is killed by gun violence, well c'rest la vie. Nothing we can do about that. I believe that the living should be able to live without fear of a violent death and that life is too precious to lose to random gun violence. You believe, well if someone is killed by random gun violence, well, life really isn't that precious after all, because my unrestricted right to bear arms, even weapons of mass killing, supercede your life to live safely.

We can both insult each other with broad strokes.
What makes you think I believe that? I have never even alluded to such an absurdity.

Nobody is guaranteed not to die a violent death. Nobody should die during a robbery either, or an auto accident.

But you cannot punish the entire population for the actions of a few. Why should law abiding citizens be forced to give up their rights because of a crazed killer?

Some on the Left have even advocated taking away the right to free speech because some spew "hateful speech" ("Pigs in a blanket! Fry 'em like bacon!") That chant actually does lead to violence, but nobody is talking about that! No, they are talking about silencing conservatives, which they say are spewing "racism" and "white supremacy." Where does this craziness stop?

Are we to throw away the Constitution and become a democracy (like many liberals are demanding, and even wrongly referring to "our democracy" in political speeches)? Jefferson said: “Despotism in the hands of one is no different than despotism in the hands of 174.” That describes a democracy, or "mob rule."

In a democracy the only rights we have are what the majority decides we have. And they can take them back at any time.

I don't know about you, but that isn't the kind of country I want to live in.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Guns are absolutely the problem.
Ever heard of "personal responsibility"? Yeah, probably not. The guns are not the problem. Many other ways people are killed, and most of them have instructions on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Ridiculous on it's face. How would you apply that to the fact that we kill millions of babies via abortion every year?

The problem is a lack of morality. People such as yourself mock those of us who believe in something higher than ourselves (God). That is the problem. You fail to acknowledge the author of life.
Yes, a lack of morality. They only think of themselves, thus the abortion issue also. "All about me." If it makes me feel good, the sky is the limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
For once, I will agree with you. We really have lost our morals, our compassion for others, and our sense of right and wrong. I'm not sure where this is all going to end up, but it sure doesn't look good.
Yes, just yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Yes, in Paul's letters to the Corinthians he did say, that everyone should be strapped because neighbors are dangerous and you always need to be suspicious of them.
Not sure why this would be relevant. One can have good morals without religion. And, Paul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Dirt bags are the problem be it driving, shooting, burglarizing, thieving, raping....

But...you run with that.
Sadly, liberals have been fed the line that guns are the problem. The guns need to removed, little by little, in order for globalism to move forward. The public must be disarmed.

Quote:
I have never seen a gun jump out of it's safe, load itself, find it's way to a hotel and begin firing on a crowd.
Again, people don't understand "personal responsibility". The ones that think gun laws would make a difference don't understand the criminal mind, the evil mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is where I draw the line on guns. (and I have guns). I can see having a pistol, shotgun, or rifle, but I can not see any reason whatsoever for anyone, outside law enforcement or military, to have assault weapons.

That POS in Vegas had an arsenal that no civilian needs or should have access to. Those guns are made to one thing only, spray as many people with bullets in the shortest amount of time possible. And then we allow them to buy those stupid bump stocks !
And, if we stop them from buying them, they will pour through the open southern border like illegal aliens and illegal drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Hypothetically speaking, what if Congress our right bans all firearms and enforced it with vigor, door to door confiscations of known firearm owners, death penalty for owning a firearm, awards for people to snitch on secret firearm owners, diverting the military from oversees into the USA, etc.

Could be possible then? obviously the black market will always exist
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. The resistance to that at least through the next century would make it impossible. What you are missing is that there bombs can be made from directions on the internet, or weapons. People would hide the weapons they did have. War within the US would break out with what you propose, history tells us that we will not let this happen in the USA.

But, what about the lives that illegal aliens take? We have a law against them being in the US. Often they are drunk driving when they kill someone, there is a law against that also. Where do the laws come in actually stopping anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You can make a gun with a 3D printer. What's the point of "gun control?"
I googled and it was mind boggling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Guns make it much easier, but for some reason a small group of people refuse to accept this.

Mostly people with a gun obsession, which should start being looked at as a mental disorder.

This guy in question spent tens of thousands on dozens of military style guns ...not old muskets or cowboy rifles. That should have flagged him as having a mental health issue alone.
Obsessions with collecting things of any sort, well except maybe body parts from people they murder, is not and will not be considered a "mental disorder". Many people have mental health issues, but they do not mass murder or hurt a single soul, but if not allowed to own a weapon, many of them may very well come to harm, think of someone who has been abused and needs to protect themselves from their abuser yet took some medication at one point for stress, yep, check the list, anything like that is considered a psychiatric/psychotropic drug.

Quote:
Tell that to the 58 dead and 500+ injured in Vegas.
Americans killed by illegal aliens, there is an immigration law supposedly protecting us from them: Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial

Quote:
Should we look at people with a car obsession as people with a mental disorder? How about motorcycles?

What's a "military style" gun?

You're obviously not a gun owner.
Yeah, that was a little over-the-top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself with that post. You know nothing about me. I believe deeply in the existence of God. The difference between you and I is I am not a hypocrite on the subject. I believe that all life is sacred and not just those in the womb. Whereas your view is that if the abortion is at the mother's choice it is a sin; if the unborn baby is killed by gun violence, well c'rest la vie. Nothing we can do about that. I believe that the living should be able to live without fear of a violent death and that life is too precious to lose to random gun violence. You believe, well if someone is killed by random gun violence, well, life really isn't that precious after all, because my unrestricted right to bear arms, even weapons of mass killing, supercede your life to live safely.

We can both insult each other with broad strokes.
Actually, an unborn baby killed by gun violence is totally different in the eyes of the law in some states, it is murder if someone else other than the mother brings forth the death of the baby. Murder is a sin no matter who sanctions it or actually commits the murder. It just that our laws see this in an immoral manner. Life is no longer valued.

Liberals have been brainwashed, and obviously not studied history, thus their ability to oversimplify the problem.

Make illegal immigration against the law and it will stop. Make illegal drugs against the law and it will stop. Make drunk driving against the law and it will stop, 10,265 deaths by alcohol impaired drivers in 2015. Looks to me like we should put a prohibition on alcohol in place again (not that it stopped individuals), oh but, they need their alcohol. Well, those that drink alcohol and would oppose a prohibition must have a "mental illness" being so obsessed with something they could do without.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There are 125.82 million households in the United States.

So what your numbers tell me is there is a very small concentration of a lot of the country's wealth. That's something we've known for years and not anything to be proud of.
Not true, we should be very proud of it. If you are a value to others in this country and you work hard and focus, you are highly likely to be among those who make good money and have a good life.

True wealth is reserved for those with talent and skills that most do not possess. That's a fact now and will always be a fact. But a good life with plenty of money is available to anyone who makes good decisions.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I do not live in fear, just prepared, which you obviously are not, life is full of choices.

Actually one has done exactly that on more than one occasion for me. If you were interested you would read up on the many times someone having a firearm has helped.

Prepared for what? Give me a break. I've managed to survive all my life without owning a gun.

You live your life afraid. I don't. Simple as that.

If you were interested you would read up on how owning a gun does not make you safer. Go and look it at the studies. Go and look at the actual statistics. You won't though.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

There are already over 300 million guns in America. The actual number? Nobody knows.

If America were to lose ten thousand guns a day, it would take 82 years to be gun free. And that's if there's ONLY 300,000,000.

Get used to mass shootings, folks - it has become our reality.
I agree- unfortunately. Our nation is "gun crazy", which I have never understood. The horse is long out of the barn on this issue. These mass shootings will occur more frequently as nuts watch the news and want their 15 seconds of fame.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:54 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Quote:
Actually it's the opposite.
It's the gun owners that are living their lives in fear.

Not that your gun is going to any help to you whatsoever.
All gun owners or just some?
I own guns and don't even lock my house when I go on vacation. Can you say the same?
Drive through Queens. Houses looks like a prison with all the bars on the windows. Tell me who lives in fear.
I will never live in a place where I need bars on my windows to keep my family safe.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Should we look at people with a car obsession as people with a mental disorder? How about motorcycles?

What's a "military style" gun?

You're obviously not a gun owner.

If you buy 50 cars you may have an obsessive compulsive disorder.

If you buy 50 guns, you have OCD fixated on items designed to kill other people.

Don't get into the stupid "I know more about guns" deflection that gun nuts think somehow negates every argument non-gun nuts make.

A gun collector who collects old muskets can say they are antiques. A guy who owns 2 dozen of basically the same gun designed to do the same thing isn't a "collector", they are potentially very dangerous..not to "the big bad government", to their fellow citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies