Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 04:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I put forth a proposal that would definitely help lower gun violence in a now buried thread.

No more plea bargains for gun crimes ( DA has no choice), maximum sentence with no chance for parole (a judge could add to it but cannot lower it)
Caught stealing a gun, or caught with a stolen gun, illegally modified gun, felon with a gun, concealed carry without a permit, etc.... Your going to trial and getting the full sentence with no parole.

I put this out there and the anti-gun liberals scattered to the four winds, I guess the thought of actually punishing criminals scared them off...

I wonder why.

RR
Three pages later and not one liberal is interested in debating my proposal....Something that would definitely cut way down on gun violence.

Very telling isn't it.

RR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:18 AM

59,132 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Important for whom?

Economy is important, but so is quality of life. What good is it for the average citizen if most of the wealth stays at the top?
"What good is it for the average citizen if most of the wealth stays at the top?

It is EASIER to GET TO THE TOP in the U.S. then any other country for the average citizen.

"The number of high-net-worth individuals – those whose assets are worth at least $1m (£750,000) excluding their primary residence – increased by 7.5pc last year, to a record global high of 16.5 million people."

"The United States continues to dominate with the number of millionaires in the country."

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/nu...121750670.html

Old 10-05-2017, 05:21 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat

I put forth a proposal that would definitely help lower gun violence in a now buried thread.

No more plea bargains for gun crimes ( DA has no choice), maximum sentence with no chance for parole (a judge could add to it but cannot lower it)
Caught stealing a gun, or caught with a stolen gun, illegally modified gun, felon with a gun, concealed carry without a permit, etc.... Your going to trial and getting the full sentence with no parole.

I put this out there and the anti-gun liberals scattered to the four winds, I guess the thought of actually punishing criminals scared them off...

I wonder why.

RR
All well and good but the people who carry out mass shootings don't usually end uo before a judge, as they either kill themselves or are killed and if anything was going to be done it would have be done after the horror of Sandy Hook and the death of little children. Although I am sure conspiracy theorists will come up with some bizzare take on the Las Vegas shooting, and the same pointless debate will play out.

As for you suggestions stopping kits from being sold that help convert weapons to fully automatic is a good idea, as are some background checks and a harsher penalties for gun thefts etc are all good ideas.

However I don't think anything is realistically going to be done, as the US seems resigned to such mass shootings, indeed it may just be the price the US has to pay for largely unhindred gun ownership, and if Americans are okay with that then that's up to them, as it's their country, their laws and their domestic policy.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:23 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Once again, this is a right we are talking about.

Do we require that one has a license before they can vote? Do we require training and testing before they can vote?

If we do not require such for other rights, then we should not require it for this right.
1. You must register to vote. If you are not properly registered, you should, and will be refused.
2. Since we are talking about rights, the right is stated in the context of a "well regulated militia". Outside of that, there is no written right. So you if you are in a WELL REGULATED MILITIA, then I guess it's the militia that is regulated, and that will take care of it.

FWIW, I am not suggesting this is the best answer. In fact I know it is not. But if you are going to go with the "I will stonewall you by being Captain Literal", then that sword cuts both ways. Personally, I think it would be much worse to go back to the literal words of the Constitution, and only let people bear arms if they are in a well regulated militia, but if that's your argument, you can stand behind it, and see how much support you will get. Please don't come after mine though, I'm not in a militia of any sort.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I have no problem in guns possessed and well kept by law-abiding citizens.

But the problem is many law-abiding gun-owners don't behave responsibly -- they are so negligent that up to 600,000 legal guns -- 1,600 guns per day nationwide -- are stolen, burglarized, or just forgotten and gone astray. Most of these guns wind up in the hands of gangs and robbers.

Guns are not toys. Gun owners should behave responsibly and they should provide proof that the guns are well kept under their possession.
"But the problem is many law-abiding gun-owners don't behave responsibly --"

B.S.

It is NOT the "law-abiding gun owner" who is using guns in the action of committing a crime.

It is the NON-law-abiding citizen.

You need to re-check your source and their stats.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
1. You must register to vote. If you are not properly registered, you should, and will be refused.
2. Since we are talking about rights, the right is stated in the context of a "well regulated militia". Outside of that, there is no written right. So you if you are in a WELL REGULATED MILITIA, then I guess it's the militia that is regulated, and that will take care of it.

FWIW, I am not suggesting this is the best answer. In fact I know it is not. But if you are going to go with the "I will stonewall you by being Captain Literal", then that sword cuts both ways. Personally, I think it would be much worse to go back to the literal words of the Constitution, and only let people bear arms if they are in a well regulated militia, but if that's your argument, you can stand behind it, and see how much support you will get. Please don't come after mine though, I'm not in a militia of any sort.
Well, that well regulated militia is the general populace of the country.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
The common denominator is access to firearms. As I mentioned in an earlier post, illegal guns, were legal at one time. Stats say between 300,000 to 600,000 guns are stolen in the US from legal gun owners EVERY year. That adds up pretty quickly.

Even though I understand the issues of violence can be separated and addressed, the very fact that so many guns are too accessible to the wrong people, should send out alarm bells.

Those inner city killers got there guns from somewhere.
"Stats say between 300,000 to 600,000 guns are stolen in the US from legal gun owners EVERY year."

Which makes the point most gun owners say.

Those that stole the guns BROKE THE LAW.

They will just CONTINUE to break any NEW gun law as they do every existing gun law today.

The politicians and those against guns keep on yapping about "we need NEW laws" .

What a waste of time.

Do they actually expect the criminals will all of a sudden STOP breaking NEW laws?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:31 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"But the problem is many law-abiding gun-owners don't behave responsibly --"

B.S.

It is NOT the "law-abiding gun owner" who is using guns in the action of committing a crime.

It is the NON-law-abiding citizen.

You need to re-check your source and their stats.
Stephen Paddock was a law abiding gun owner until Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 10:08 p.m.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
This is where we will never agree. Just because the underlying issues for violence may be different in different groups, the fact that too many guns in the US get into the hands of the wrong people. That surely is something that can not be denied.

So what are your plans on doing something about it?
"So what are your plans on doing something about it?"

How about a MINIMUM AUTOMATIC 10 YEARS in jail with NO early out if you use a gun in the commission of a crime with NO plea bargaining.

Any police officer will tell you the biggest problem is the repeat offenders who has a rap sheet as long as your arm.

Judges too lenient and D.A.'s too willing to plea bargain down the gun charges.

1 day off your sentence for every "good" day served.

It should be 1 day ADDED for every BAD day you serve.

Get them off the streasts and KEEP THEM OFF.

Going to jail used to be a deterrent. NOT anymore today. It is a joke and the criminals know t.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"So what are your plans on doing something about it?"

How about a MINIMUM AUTOMATIC 10 YEARS in jail with NO early out if you use a gun in the commission of a crime with NO plea bargaining.

Any police officer will tell you the biggest problem is the repeat offenders who has a rap sheet as long as your arm.

Judges too lenient and D.A.'s too willing to plea bargain down the gun charges.

1 day off your sentence for every "good" day served.

It should be 1 day ADDED for every BAD day you serve.

Get them off the streasts and KEEP THEM OFF.

Going to jail used to be a deterrent. NOT anymore today. It is a joke and the criminals know t.
Got a question for you if there is no plea bargaining?

What if the DA can't prove the case? By taking away the option of plea bargaining, you take away a tool to put the person in jail without necessarily going to trial.

Well, if the case is weak, do you expect the DA to go to trial with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies