Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 03:11 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

What do people hunt with in other countries with stricter gun laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 03:21 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
IIRC - A US hunter planning to hunt in Canada has to apply for a Canadian permit and follow the restrictions of that Permit. I think hand guns are completely banned but I am not certain. I have no idea what the rules are for anywhere else but a lot of Americans and Europeans hunt in Africa.

The only certain thing about the Las Vegas shooter is he was completely rational in the way he prepared to do his incredibly insane act of slaughter. We need to spend more time watching out for the insanity and not the rationality. I am not a Psychiatrist and do not have any idea how to do that but it is likely to be far more effective than any new controls on gun types or purchases so far proposed.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:34 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Its really too bad you cant stand to be honest in your arguments. It simply shows that you cant debate based on truth and fact alone. Nowhere do I state that everyone owning multiple AR15s is a loon. I even make it clear, for those with the ability to read, think, and process info correctly ( and that's the tricky part with CD types ) that I would set the red flag number at 4. When I went to school, 4 was considered a multiple number. I haven't even stated that every owner of 10 or more is a homicidal maniac. I have simply stated that perhaps there is some number at which we should be looking into mass volume purchases of these by one guy. Horrors!, I know. The very idea that we should possibly be concerned about a person buying 30 AR15s in a year!

And I will say it again as long as you continue to make the ridiculous statement that those who don't like people being able to commit these mass shootings are feeble and scared. THEY are not the ones loading their homes up with guns to fight off imaginary hordes of Hells Angels breaking down their door. YOU guys are. YOU guys are the ones living in fear, and your proclamations otherwise are worthless, as actions speak louder than words ( perhaps you've heard that before). Get real and quit acting like the guys loading up their homes with guns to deal with the boogiemen of their imagination are the brave ones, while those who live their lives without the need to create home arsenals are somehow afraid. The concept is patently ridiculous, and which ones are afraid of life in general is shown by the actions of those who feel the need to turn their homes into arsenals to deal with normal life.

I once borrowed a shotgun from a friend so I could take another friend hunting with me , as I only own 2, and 1 is an "antique" that my granddad owned, so I don't hunt with it. Single shot besides that. After my hunting trip was over, the friend was very concerned about getting his gun back ASAP. He admitted that "the corner" he kept the gun propped up in , in the hall leading from his front door, felt "empty" and he needed to get the gun back to its "home" to feel comfortable. It turns out he has guns stuck in corners all around his house so he can retreat from a frontal assault, and have fresh guns to grab and fire at the Mongols breaking down his door.

Yeah, he lives a much less fearful life than me

As far as the database, there is none that collects data from all states into one database. That was the flaw with the Vegas shooter. He bought weapons in multiple states, more often than he could have done in one state alone with the waiting period between purchases. A database that showed all purchases in every state would have caught his pattern.
What point am I making wallflash?

Guess from older shooting sports enthusiasts, back before I was born, was a shoot out with the FBI and a drug cartel, and the cartel was armed with Ruger Mini14s... Guess they were more popular in the 1980s than ARs were. The mini14 was under just as much pressure as the AR.
The 90s... when I was a kid, it was the AK varient when there was a bank robbery in California.

Columbine, shotguns tec9 pistol and HiPoint carbine the later being also 9mm.

The tec9 was the weapon of media attention and a call for banning it came about. I remember that just as well as I remember watching OJs white bronco and the invasion of Iraq on TV.

I can't remember the other one that sparked controversy over Glock pistols, but I do remember in the 90s that Glocks raised alot of controversy as well.

So as being a 30 year old gun enthusiast, every time a weapon is used in a tragedy, other than a bomb, the anti gun crowd or elitists, step forward for implementing a ban or regulation pertaining to a specific firearm.

Why the AR? It happens to be America's most popular rifle. Just like the M1 Garand was after WW2 and Korea.
No different than the F150 being America's number 1 selling vehicle, which should come as no surprise as being potentially involved in more accidents or thefts as it is most common.

While I'm not a psychiatrist/psychologist, I can't rationalize the use of an AR commissioned in such a way. Then again I do not fantasize or seek to do harm on others. There's no reason for it. Arguing something ok. If we were face to face I wouldn't feel an urge to go knuckle dragger to club you over the head...

Would seem to be if the intent were to kill as many people as possible, a bomb would be used. Not an AR15 from 500 yards...
Unless the intent were to be cause as much terror and controversy as possible to create more of a divide... Ive discussed this with friends of mine who fought in Iraq and they find the same problem as the people they fought against. The ones who wanted to instill fear and terror in that country, shot into crowds or shot from crowds. The ones who wanted to take out massive numbers, used bombs and IEDs...
Thus my opinion/theory on the scumbags motive.

What you're saying about multiple purchases in multiple states I don't know those states laws, but I do know for NY and Florida in order to purchase weapons in those states, you need to be a resident of that state. Same with ammo.

I am arguing on truth and fact alone. You and others are afraid to be gunned down because AR15s or guns depending on how afraid, merely exist.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:40 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
You are really big on trying to convince yourself that the ones who feel the need to turn their homes into arsenals are actually the less fearful ones, aren't you?

LOL. As I said, actions speak louder than words. Feeling the need to make your home an arsenal vs living your normal life without such indicates with which group the fear lies.

As far as the AR15s, as body counts rise to historic levels, concern rises for the tool of this mayhem. Only logical.People used to be concerned about semi auto handguns because 4 dead people shot at random was a big deal. Nowadays, nearly 60 dead is a yawner for the gun nutters.

Last edited by wallflash; 10-07-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 10-07-2017, 03:52 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
You are really big on trying to convince yourself that the ones who feel the need to turn their homes into arsenals are actually the less fearful ones, aren't you?

LOL. As I said, actions speak louder than words. Feeling the need to make your home an arsenal vs living your normal life without such indicates with which group the fear lies.
You've made a lot of posts implying fear or some other failure on the part of firearms owners. Quite frankly, you've made some of the most juvenile arguments I've ever read on C-D, and that says a lot. You've moved the goal post, you've changed your stance from not pushing for gun laws to creating a national gun registry, and you've made vague attempts at twisting away from the majority of questions asked of you. At this point, the only way to view you is as a troll who merely wishes to argue for the sake of arguing. You aren't wanting other people's opinions, you are wanting other people to validate your own opinion.

You have most likely stood in line next to someone who owned one of those arsenals you are so worried about. People who collect firearms sometimes do so just because they like that style of firearm. As for the AR15, they are easily modified to fit different rounds. I have one that is chambered for the original ammo, one that is chambered for .45, one for 9mm, and one for .22 that I use to teach my children to shoot. It's a great firearm for teaching once the kids are past the basics. I don't live in an arsenal, and I don't have a gun in every corner. However, I own multiple firearms, several of them being the one that you seem to have an irrational fear of, so I guess I'd be on your watchlist.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Nope. It's none of my business nor is my opinion relevant on those who choose to do so. That's their right. Who am I to judge what someone keeps in their home and how much?

Would it stand to reason if someone enjoys jewelry they have a screw loose if they have multiple safes full of diamonds and gold?
What if they have a garage with 3 mustangs and tons of ford signs hanging up? Mustangs exit car shows and usually wind up wrecking into a crowd or oncoming traffic. Should they be banned? Or should the driver be the one responsible? Or is it the easy way out argument, if it was harder to aquire or didn't exist at all this wouldn't have happened...

It's all subjective opinion.

If my neighbor (s) want and have 100 ARs go for it. Do whatever you want. The moment I have a problem is when they decide to point it at me or others. To blame their actions on the weapon, or to say the weapon is as fault is a bit dramatic as the weapon is the implement. It can't chamber a round on its own. It can't aim itself. It can't fire itself.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You've made a lot of posts implying fear or some other failure on the part of firearms owners. Quite frankly, you've made some of the most juvenile arguments I've ever read on C-D, and that says a lot. You've moved the goal post, you've changed your stance from not pushing for gun laws to creating a national gun registry, and you've made vague attempts at twisting away from the majority of questions asked of you. At this point, the only way to view you is as a troll who merely wishes to argue for the sake of arguing. You aren't wanting other people's opinions, you are wanting other people to validate your own opinion.

You have most likely stood in line next to someone who owned one of those arsenals you are so worried about. People who collect firearms sometimes do so just because they like that style of firearm. As for the AR15, they are easily modified to fit different rounds. I have one that is chambered for the original ammo, one that is chambered for .45, one for 9mm, and one for .22 that I use to teach my children to shoot. It's a great firearm for teaching once the kids are past the basics. I don't live in an arsenal, and I don't have a gun in every corner. However, I own multiple firearms, several of them being the one that you seem to have an irrational fear of, so I guess I'd be on your watchlist.

My argument in this line of debate is that perhaps we should start looking at people making large purchases of AR15s. If you find that argument juvenile, you will have to pardon me if I don't give a crap about your opinion.

And an intelligent person with the capacity to think could grasp the difference between not pushing for BANS on guns , but suggesting creating a registry to track large purchases of the AR15 types as a method of identifying the loons about to snap. If this goes over your head and seems contradictory to you, then perhaps you have no place trying to discuss this with the adults.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. It's none of my business nor is my opinion relevant on those who choose to do so. That's their right. Who am I to judge what someone keeps in their home and how much?

Would it stand to reason if someone enjoys jewelry they have a screw loose if they have multiple safes full of diamonds and gold?
What if they have a garage with 3 mustangs and tons of ford signs hanging up? Mustangs exit car shows and usually wind up wrecking into a crowd or oncoming traffic. Should they be banned? Or should the driver be the one responsible? Or is it the easy way out argument, if it was harder to aquire or didn't exist at all this wouldn't have happened...

It's all subjective opinion.

If my neighbor (s) want and have 100 ARs go for it. Do whatever you want. The moment I have a problem is when they decide to point it at me or others. To blame their actions on the weapon, or to say the weapon is as fault is a bit dramatic as the weapon is the implement. It can't chamber a round on its own. It can't aim itself. It can't fire itself.

Once again, a total lack of logic and comprehension from you. No one has suggested the guns fire themselves. What has been suggested, for the umpteenth time, is that purchasing large quantities of these may be a red flag on crazies about to snap.

Arent you the side that complains about lumping in law abiding gun owners with criminals and crazies and suggesting that we should address the mental illness aspect more? And then , now, whining when that very aspect gets addressed?

Hoarding gold jewelry might be indicative of some sort of abnormal mindset. But it would be of no concern until these jewelry hoarders start roaming the streets strangling people with their jewelry. Do you really think your examples make any sense, when we are discussing the deaths of 50+?

Old 10-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:

As far as the AR15s, as body counts rise to historic levels, concern rises for the tool of this mayhem. Only logical.People used to be concerned about semi auto handguns because 4 dead people shot at random was a big deal. Nowadays, nearly 60 dead is a yawner for the gun nutters.
My my that's quite the projection you have there. But if we want to be honest...

In 2015, 10,265 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (29%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
Of the 1, 1,132 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2015, 209 (16%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
In 2015, nearly 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.

That's just DWI not including regular fatalities from say, speeding, wreck less driving, inclement weather and loss of control, or a pile up on a highway/freeway.

For regular incidents
POLICE-REPORTED MOTOR VEHICLE TRAFFIC CRASHES
Fatal .................................................. ....... 32,166
Injury .................................................. ....... 1,715,000
Property Damage Only ........................................... 4,548,000
Total .................................................. ..... 6,296,000
TRAFFIC CRASH VICTIMS Killed/Injured
Occupants .................................................. .. 23,695/2,230,000
Drivers........................................... ........... 17,466/1,605,000
Passengers .................................................. 6,158/624,000
Unknown .................................................. .. 71/1,000
Motorcyclists .................................................. 4,976/88,000
Nonoccupants ................................................. 6,421/125,000
Pedestrians .................................................. 5,376/70,000
Pedalcyclists ................................................. 818/45,000
Other/Unknown ............................................... 227/10,000
Total .................................................. ....... 35,092/2,443,000

Leading causes of death per CDC

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 633,842
Cancer: 595,930
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
Diabetes: 79,535
Influenza and Pneumonia: 57,062
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 49,959
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

I don't see AR15s on that list.

Firearms per CDC

Number of deaths: 33,594
Of those deaths 2014 were suicide
(63.7%) and homicide (32.8%). .637x33,594= 21,400 deaths.

Homicide = 11,019. .328x33,594

Homicide, dying at the hands of another's actions.
Break those statistics down of deaths involving criminal enterprise. You know. Gang activity via turf war drugs, murders, and separate the columns of justified self defense shootings and actions by police.
Per bureau of justice report 2015
930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that nonreporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies.

So let's look at the numbers again
11,019 deaths minus 930= 10,089
11,019 deaths minus 1240= 9,779

Of the remaining 10,089 or of the 9,779 how many of these remaining deaths were committed by the hands of criminals, and how many were committed by the hands of a justified law abiding gun owner?

I'm not taking away or discrediting what happened. The statistics show you are more at risk of being killed in a car accident or at the hands of a drunk driver, that a homicidal maniac...
So when you push for AR15 bans in vain of tragedy or anything pertaining to them... it's usually hop on board the fear mongering train...

Old 10-07-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
My argument in this line of debate is that perhaps we should start looking at people making large purchases of AR15s. If you find that argument juvenile, you will have to pardon me if I don't give a crap about your opinion.

And an intelligent person with the capacity to think could grasp the difference between not pushing for BANS on guns , but suggesting creating a registry to track large purchases of the AR15 types as a method of identifying the loons about to snap. If this goes over your head and seems contradictory to you, then perhaps you have no place trying to discuss this with the adults.
There it is again, drawing a conclusive multiple AR = loon that snaps. How many ARS did the Sandy hook shooter have/use? Or the Aurora shooter?

You just ruined your whole argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies