Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 07:02 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
So you want to institute a firearms licensing program with psych and medical standards?
You are aware we already have NICs, "background checks" with ATF Form 4473?
Yes and yes.

Does Question 11f require any sort of documentation from a mental health professional to affirm the applicant's answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If the actors/producers/whatever involved in a flick believe the movies have no impact on violence in the real world then it isn't hypocritical.

If they are on the record saying they believe there is a connection logic tells me they are promoting violence.
Yes I would say its hypocritical to demonize something and then put it in almost every movie being made.

Most are afraid to bite the hand that feeds them. Here is a comment by Harvey Weinstein, the infamous Harvey Weinstein from a few years back:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...e-culture.html

“They have a point,” Weinstein recently said of his critics in an interview with CNN’s Piers Morgan. He framed his dilemma in practical and personal terms. “You have to look in the mirror, too,” he said. “I have to choose movies that aren’t violent or as violent as they used to be. I know for me personally, you know, I can’t continue to do that. The change starts here. It has already. For me, I can’t do it. I can’t make one movie and say this is what I want for my kids and then just go out and be a hypocrite.”

Old 10-08-2017, 07:05 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Having to pass a mental health examination before being allowed to purchase weapons. An actual exam. Just like when someone who has seizures must have a doctor approve them driving.
So you are going to trust a government system that hates law abiding citizens having guns to determine the mental health of people? Aaaaaah, NO. And how much will it cost? Yet another infringement. Meanwhile the criminals, and crazies can go buy guns illegally, or steal them.

Read the Constitution.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:17 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Having to pass a mental health examination before being allowed to purchase weapons. An actual exam. Just like when someone who has seizures must have a doctor approve them driving.
No its not like that. Everyone does not have to pass a mental health exam to get a drivers license.
But if we are going to apply that do it for any potential deadly weapon. Deadly weapons can include frying pans and brooms.

Five time as many people are killed with a knife than are killed in a mass shooting. So lets get those background checks going for your cutlery.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:21 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,603 times
Quote:
Yes
Does Question 11f require any sort of documentation from a mental health professional to affirm the applicant's answer?
Its a check, not an audit.

Quote:
Yes and yes.
So, how do you propose to structure this program? Creation of age limit laws, a new set of legal codes to enforce including fines and fees, license expiration dates including the ability to suspend and revoke, perhaps a mandatory insurance program, a program linking health care providers , mental health pipelines,
etc, etc?
Sound like all privileges would be granted from the government. Might have to repeal the second amendment for that...

Old 10-08-2017, 07:34 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Driving on public streets isn't a right, owning a firearm is.

Drivers don't have to have a medical exam before they have a seizure, but that's the standard you want to apply to buying a firearm. Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the liberal motto, unless it's applied to actual criminals, you'll bend over backwards defending them.

How about before voting? There are clearly mentally ill people voting, should everyone have to pass a psych exam before voting?

Old 10-08-2017, 07:38 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
So you want to institute a firearms licensing program with psych and medical standards?
You are aware we already have NICs, "background checks" with ATF Form 4473?
Mental health issues are rarely reported by the states, some only have a dozen people in their records.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the liberal motto, unless it's applied to actual criminals, you'll bend over backwards defending them.
This really does seem to be so.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Mental health issues are rarely reported by the states, some only have a dozen people in their records.
Would you prefer to mandate government programs to track the mental health of all citizens?

Old 10-08-2017, 07:54 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Not in NY...

Any drug that you are prescribed that alters mood or has been used to treat depression, under the safe act you forfeit your firearms...
Chantix the stop smoking drug, is also used to treat depression.

There were quite a few people who had to forfeit firearms in NY after the safe act...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies