Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 03:32 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I am glad WaPo published it and that FiveThirtyEight actually did the analysis. Both are movements in the right direction.
Actually they are in the Left direction as both sites are Left wing which is why mainstream media is paying attention now. If the identical research and article were from Breitbart and Fox News, it would have been dismissed immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Paddock didn't find a way to get a gun. He legally obtained 47 guns, with 23 in the Mandalay Hotel room, many modified with bump stock that allowed them to fly hundred rounds of bullets per minute.

In the above strictly gun controlled countries I mentioned, it may not be hard for the murderer to illegally obtain a hand gun.

But the concert goers were out of range for hand gun from a 32th floor hotel room.
Like I was saying, he doesn't value life, or law and order. He would have found a way in a society where guns are restricted.

Consider this. Jamaica has very strict gun laws. Very high murder rate in that country. Guns get smuggled in from other places.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The reports as I read them were ammonium nitrate, AKA fertilizer. It's not an explosive but could be made into one.
Diesel fuel can be added but you need a pretty violent igniter.
Also reported this morning on CBS was "target explosive" which would be tannerite, and that would do the job for sure. Tannerite is AN with aluminum powder and a bullet can set it off readily.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:37 PM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Million ways to kill people but as a gun enthusiast I would rather nut jobs, Islamic radicals, and other criminals use another method and leave my hobby alone. The only way to do that is to try and keep those folks from obtaining the weapons they want. Mass shootings in the past have been committed with .22's 10 round carbines as in the Charles Whitman Texas Tower Sniper. We must not forget the DC sniper who shot 27 people with 1 shot each, and killed 17 these 2 guys put way more fear into the DC area then the Las Vegas shooter did. The DC sniper could have just used a bolt action but he had been trained in the army he was used to a M-16 type rifle.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:37 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The two largest groups where gun violence takes the most lives are
1. men between 15 and 35 killed by other men between 15 and 35.
2. women killed in domestic violence situations.

On the first the evidence seems to suggest early prevention where young men at risk for behavior that will lead them to either kill or be killed is the best deterrent. That takes the form of mentoring programs etc... or at least so says some of the things I have read of late. I am all for such things.
Men between the ages of 15 - 35 accounts for over 40 million people. You want to have ready counseling and mentoring programs across the nation for over 40 million people? Since a program like this would cost a fortune. I would say we put a nice huge tax on the sales of firearms and ammunition in order to pay for this. Its only fair.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
The founding fathers were revolutionaries who intended that the citizenry be in a position to rise against an oppressive regime. There is no indication that self defense was a big issue.

We have long since abandoned the overthrow capability and, with wide agreement have banned the weapons that would be most useful in such an endeavor.

So basically we have all agreed not to follow the original intent. Now we negotiate what we will follow.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:40 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Looks like none of the gun-control advocates want to discuss the inevitable result of their agenda to demand more and more government control of privately-owned guns.

I don't blame them. No one likes to lost a debate, even when the evidence against their side is overwhelming.

But isn't there more at stake here, than just gun-control advocates getting their feelings hurt?

Don't you folks get it? You tell us you're aghast at people getting killed by people with guns;. Yet the laws you try to put in place do nothing but promote that very thing. They disarm only the law-abiding, and make it safer for criminals to threaten, assault, rape, and even kill innocent people.

Will you gun-control addicts please STOP doing that? Quit calling for "gun control" laws, at least until you can come up with ANY evidence (wishful thinking and "well, everyone knows..." doesn't count) that your laws actually deliver the safety and protection you keep pretending they do?

Old 10-05-2017, 03:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Like I was saying, he doesn't value life, or law and order. He would have found a way in a society where guns are restricted.

Consider this. Jamaica has very strict gun laws. Very high murder rate in that country. Guns get smuggled in from other places.
Because guns were smuggled into Jamaica from U.S.:
Guns from America fuel Jamaica's gang wars - The San Diego Union-Tribune

We are the source of problem for Jamaica.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I'm done arguing with you.

As I've stated ad nauseam, AS A FOREIGNER YOU'VE GOT NO BUSINESS BUTTING INTO OUR AFFAIRS. I'm gonna' have to leave it at that.
I don't believe you fully understand the workings of City Data. The PURPOSE is for others to engage each other in debate and conversation.

If it's purpose, or if the purpose of the Politics and Other Controversies, is to be restricted to ONLY US citizens, then the powers that be can restrict foreign IP addresses, or at the very least, have a heading instructing ONLY US citizens to participate in the " debate ".

However, I don't believe that is the purpose of CD or the purpose of this particular forum. As a simple look at the various topics and who responds will demonstrate.

The fact that you don't like it, I'm afraid is immaterial.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:44 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Imagine how much safer the UK will be if every ISIS sympathizer had ready access to AR-15's and 40 round mags. I am sure it would be a much much safer place.
There are more ways than one to take over a government and for it to become a tyrannical one, you know that right? and then too, boss the plane ...

one day the 2nd amendment might get interpreted that states have militias and only those in the militias have a right to carry a weapon ... there's that saying, 'be careful what you wish for'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies