Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 02:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I see know reason why civilians would need BUMP STOCKS to upgrade their guns to shoot at such a crazy speed.. So those should be banned, I believe. Even hunters should hone their craft so that they can shoot without blazing animals!
i am not a fan of bump stocks either, and i think the obama administration made a huge mistake in making them legal

Quote:
Stricter laws regarding selling guns including red flags for anyone who has purchased more than say 5 guns in a years period. Maybe those people should at least be screened to make sure they are legit and not crazy.
the problem here is that you violate peoples rights. you violate the second amendment, as well as the fourth amendment. we have to be careful not to trample the rights of people to try and gain a little safety, otherwise we deserve neither

Quote:
Anyone with a gun license should be subject to mandatory mental evaluation every few years... If the gun owner is on any mind altering medications they should be watched carefully or license revoked.
and how about people that dont have a license? most states do not require a firearms license, except to carry concealed. and mentally ill people are not allowed to own a firearm anyway.

Quote:
Just some ideas.. Maybe some of them are already laws, I have no idea. I admit that I know very little about guns or gun laws. Never owned one and never plan to. That said, I do not believe that all guns should be illegal. As long as we can tighten up the laws to at least avoid crazy people from stockpiling 30 guns and legally buying "add ons" that turn the legal weapons into mass killing machines.
how do you determine who is crazy and who isnt? this needs to be done through proper due process. same with the mandatory mental evaluation you suggest. who does this evaluation? are the finding going to be laid out in open court so the person in question can dispute those findings? or is it just a, you cant have a gun until.. thing? if it is the latter, that violates the second amendment, as well as the fifth amendment against self incrimination. so again you have to be very careful here to avoid trampling the rights of the people wanting these firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Facts, the Las Vegas shooter was a perfectly clean person....again....facts are facts, fantasies are....fantasies....
So what if he was? My premise is that the sort of weapons he had should not be manufactured, should never have been manufactured, should not be legally available to own or to sell now or ever.
Quote:
You should learn a bit more about the Sandy Hook shooter and the painstaking planning he did.....
No, the Sandy Hook guy did not design his own assault rifle in CAD , nor did he manufacture it in his garage.

You live in a fantasy world if you think people are capable of that.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what if you put one of these on a current fully automatic weapon? I presume it would increase it's firepower to Jesse The Body in Predator mode
You always have faster and more reliable shooting in a fully automatic weapon, putting one on a machine gun would probably jam up the weapon or at the least put it into some strange burst fire mode because you are not holding down the trigger, but continuously pressing and releasing it.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:06 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Why is it so hard for the U.S. to be different in policy from other countries around the world? So much so, that we now must adopt, their policies on, just about everything or do we think we see greener pastures?
Because their policies work. I am interested in seeing the lives of Americans improve. If that means copying UK gun laws then so be it.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And you think your law is going to stop a criminal from getting automatic weapons?
yup

the only reason y'all claim it is impossible is because y'all don't want to see them banned. You'd rather have mass shootings. For y'all that's just the price everyone else has to pay for your toys.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
So what if he was? My premise is that the sort of weapons he had should not be manufactured, should never have been manufactured, should not be legally available to own or to sell now or ever.

Oh, did he design his own assault rifle in CAD , and then manufacture it in the metalworks in his garage?

Or are you just struggling to follow the discussion?
so you think the AR15 should never have been created? a semiautomatic rifle that police departments across the country use? do you realize that there are many semi auto rifles on the market today that function exactly like the AR15, but are not feared because they re not black?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:09 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
New England is where the revolution started. It will begin here and disarm the entire nation of guns. It is mere fear mongering to try to stop the only solution to the slaughter occurring now. Criminals will always be with us, that is why we have laws, prisons, and police. We do not have to arm them with assault weapons. The police do a great job, until they also get shot by guns.
I love New England. The landscape, the people, the history and culture. Its where the nation was birthed, and still remains a global epicenter of education and civility. Please people of New England, take the lead and make this happen.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:10 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
My favorite part of this hypocritical stance was when the NRA blamed the Obama administration for allowing bump stocks to be sold.
Bump stocks lead to lots of wasted ammunition. That is capitalism and helping the economy.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Yes, it is such a simple tool that banning it will be probably be pointless but, hey, this will make the antis feel better...

We could also ban blue jeans.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZCO-06qRgY
Better ban rubber bands while you're at it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx4cqBFmjtA

Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so you think the AR15 should never have been created? a semiautomatic rifle that police departments across the country use?
Correct, I think that the only legal guns should be single-shot bolt-action rifles, revolvers, and double-barrel shotguns. I think this should've been put into place 50 years ago.

The only reason why "gun restrictions" would be ineffective is because they aren't restrictive enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies