Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
It should not be regulated, it should be a FEDERAL CRIMINAL OFFENSE TO OWN IT, AND A CRIMINAL FELONY TO MOUNT IT TO ANY WEAPON. ENSURE, SUCH PERSON(S) WHO HAS IT, MAKES IT, SELL IT OR GIVE IT AWAY, OR POSSESSES IT BY ANY MEANS, IS PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, WITH A "MANDATORY" 25 YRS WITH NO POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE.

Really all the bold is needed? You know murder of 50 people is a felony? Do you think someone who has planned a murder of 50 people is going to worry about breaking the law by making his semi-auto fire full auto. That's the problem with your logic lots of gun laws already but reality is the ones that should be digging into the background of people who buy guns is broken. The instant background check doesn't even have the correct records many felons have bought guns, and felons who have committed felony's by attempting to buy a gun are not even prosecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM

276 posts, read 178,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
It should not be regulated, it should be a FEDERAL CRIMINAL OFFENSE TO OWN IT, AND A CRIMINAL FELONY TO MOUNT IT TO ANY WEAPON. ENSURE, SUCH PERSON(S) WHO HAS IT, MAKES IT, SELL IT OR GIVE IT AWAY, OR POSSESSES IT BY ANY MEANS, IS PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, WITH A "MANDATORY" 25 YRS WITH NO POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE.
Why not just give mandatory 25 years to any person who commits any crime involving a gun? That would probably save the lives of THOUSANDS by keeping animal gangbangers where they belong. Instead a banger gets caught with an illegal gun and does 10 and gets out in 2 ready to "ride" again with the hommies.

For WIW A person bent on killing innocent people doesn't care what the penalty is for a crime. Can you wrap your head around that? These "bump stocks" could easily be made out of wood.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:46 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't even know why they bother with this feel good legislation ban these trigger gizmos. If someone plans on murdering people they won't bother with a bump stock they just convert a semi-auto to full auto plans and parts can be bought easily online or at gun shows.
Well it's not THAT easy to convert because you have to do some serious metal work including pretty much boring out the entire lower receiver to accept these auto parts, this is not something you can do with a file but serious milling machine work, or buy a RDIAS which are ATF registered items and cost like $15,000...or buy a pre-1986 semi-auto otherwise these kits you buy at gun stores are useless. The press were reporting "all you need is a $50 part" which was just nonsense and of course repeated elsewhere in these forums by people that didn't know better, or they were referring to bump-stock or these rubber band trigger gimmicks themselves.

The thing is - apparently he was rich and he could have easily afforded a real automatic weapons. Lucky he didn't go that route.

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Another reason I dont give money to the NRA. They're sellouts.
Thank you, it’s not easy to find gun owners like myself who refuse to give them a nickel. When the crap hits the fan, they’ll find a way to take care of their own, and I don’t mean members either.

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am interested in hearing from those that advocate these laws and why you think they would prevent such a crime.
The question is flawed and is used in order to derail any debate on gun control.

Gun control is has never been about avoiding on particular attack. It is about reducing them overall with the hopes of one day eliminating them.

think of it this way, safety belt don't save all lives but few would argue today that requiring them has made travel safer.. and yes a bad guy can still kill you while you wear one or even use one to kill you, but still that does not mean we should get rid of them...

In fact outside of gun ownership, we simply do not see americans protesting their "rights" on virtually any other aspect of safety.

I mean when was the last time somebody sued the gov to be allowed to sell lead based makeup? i mean we USED to use it, now we know better....

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You always have faster and more reliable shooting in a fully automatic weapon, putting one on a machine gun would probably jam up the weapon or at the least put it into some strange burst fire mode because you are not holding down the trigger, but continuously pressing and releasing it.
This is factual.

All a bump stock does is use the natural recoil of the weapon and the breech weight inertia returning to battery to repetitively bring the trigger into contact with a finger already placed exactly where it needs to be to ensure enough trigger pull to release the sear or bolt/breech block retarder mechanism.

It works best on weapons with a forestock pistol grip attachement that you put forward pressure onto with your off arm and the natural tendancies of recoil and breech return inertia do the rest.

In that sense it would serve no useful purpose on a fully automatic weapon whatsoever. Bump stocks used on a fully auto firearm with select fire mode set in single fire would actually cause it to cycle at a slower rate of fire than it would on fully auto, as the trigger would have to release the bolt/breech block each and every time, taking milliseconds to achieve, whereas that time delay would be missing entirely with the weapon simply set to full auto with the release mechanism already bypassed.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
<>Derek Hunter came up with a good analogy for this thinking today in his column (paraphrasing) - a family down the street has 2 children that are severely physically abused by their father. He abuses them to the point he kills them. This is horrific, we are all outraged and saddened. Next day, two police and some folks from social services show up at your house because it is known that you have two kids. he law has decided that in order to prevent any more child abuse like what happened down the street, your kids will now be monitored weekly without your consent, you are to undergo weekly psych evals, and the police and social services can enter and search your home any time they please.<>
There are people living under that kind of oppressive regime in the USA today because of fear of actions by psychopathic people in the past. It could happen here. Gun control advocates are trying to use the medical profession as a tool to take away the guns of old people on that very basis.
All they have to do is have a group of people be declared a psychopathic aberration and they can do anything to them without due process.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/05/...ing-rates.html

Even the NRA believes they should be regulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
As far as I'm concerned they can get rid of it....almost no gun owner care about full automatic fire....is pointless and wasteful for the hobby....
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
fine by me. kind of strange that they escaped the legal scrutiny in the first place.

they'll probably get these too.

https://www.galatiinternational.com/...ire-crank.html
I agree, get rid of them.....to easy to have a runaway gun with one

getting rid of them makes sense....unlike all the garbage that the anti-gun people have been pushing

Old 10-05-2017, 02:49 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Correct, I think that the only legal guns should be single-shot bolt-action rifles, revolvers, and double-barrel shotguns. I think this should've been put into place 50 years ago.

The only reason why "gun restrictions" would be ineffective is because they aren't restrictive enough.

Fortunately, most Americans don't give a damn what you think.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:51 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
fine by me. kind of strange that they escaped the legal scrutiny in the first place.

they'll probably get these too.

https://www.galatiinternational.com/...ire-crank.html
They come with an ATF approval letter. How much scrutiny did you want?
Makes no difference to me I have a big box or rubber bands....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies