Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 12:57 PM

14,042 posts, read 5,673,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Yet he didn't use dynamite which would have been much more convenient. Probably because he couldn't get a hold of any. Which is my point.
No, he used Tovex, which is what explosives manufacturers started making after they stopped making nitroglycerine based TNT, which was more unstable than the current line of moldable, water gel explosives. Tovex is ubiquitous in commercial mining and demolition. Which is why McVeigh robbed a quarry to get the Tovex and PrimDet used in the bomb.

Hey, look at that...a criminal not giving a crap about laws concerning theft because his goal is to blow up a freaking building and kill hundreds of people.

Do you know how easy it is for private citizens to access explosives and accelerants? Hell, Pyrodex is more stable and burns cleaner than black powder, and anyone can buy it off the shelf at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. Black powder, Pyrodex, primer caps, etc...ever heard of the reloading hobby?

Take a look at what Mach1+ model rockets use for propellant. Another hobby that uses pretty serious stuff to make things go zippy. Hell, the nitromethane McVeigh used in his bomb was purchased at a race track, where it is used in high performance drag racing. Hobby stuff.

What set McVeigh apart, and Paddock in this latest case, was PREPARATION AND PLANNING. You can take away all the rights you want, but a sociopath with dedication to preparation and planning will still figure out how to carry out their evil. You simply cannot prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 01:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,623,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You do realize we rose up and fought off England for our Independence, pretty sad just a couple hundred years later, we are being called to get in line with Europe and other countries, the US was founded to be different, this was done for a reason.
How the Second Amendment Helped Civil Rights Activists Resist Jim Crow - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 10-05-2017, 01:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,800,857 times
Default NRA on bump stocks.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/05/...ing-rates.html

Even the NRA believes they should be regulated.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:06 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,247,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Ken, I see you're from California one of thee most anti gun states in the nation. Your party controls the state government. Why don't you just demand that the police and national guard units go to every single home, apartment and dwelling within your state, barge down the doors, turn the places upside down and confiscate every weapon and bullet they can find and throw the occupants in jail? This will include all of your Hollywood hypocrites and their armed security details. All government officials included.

That's about the only way you're gonna' get rid of civilian owned guns. But you'll need GUNS to do it. I guess guns will be okay as long as you're the ones that have them?
Because I don't want police and national guard units unlawfully entering into peoples homes. But I do want more restrictive and enforced gun control measures. Not an outright ban but just measures that make sense in a first world nation in the 21st century.

Assuming this would happen, and being a law abiding citizen I would follow whatever rule was set in place. I own two shotguns myself and if I needed to hand those over, I would comply without struggle. Because I believe in the betterment of society, I believe in the rule of law and I actually love this country and don't want to see its people continue to suffer. Unlike those who profess to love this country but won't comprise in spite of the endless stream of dead Americans lying in the streets.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:11 PM

34,293 posts, read 18,667,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Because I don't want police and national guard units unlawfully entering into peoples homes. But I do want more restrictive and enforced gun control measures. Not an outright ban but just measures that make sense in a first world nation in the 21st century.

Assuming this would happen, and being a law abiding citizen I would follow whatever rule was set in place. I own two shotguns myself and if I needed to hand those over, I would comply without struggle. Because I believe in the betterment of society, I believe in the rule of law and I actually love this country and don't want to see its people continue to suffer. Unlike those who profess to love this country but won't comprise in spite of the endless stream of dead Americans lying in the streets.
Then instead of even further restricting the law abiding, address the inner city gang violence which by far has the most murders, and get illegal guns out of their hands. Focus on the criminals, not widespread restrictions on the law abiding. That's the cause of your endless stream. Black, on black crime over drugs, and turf.

3,950 posts, read 3,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
No, he used Tovex, which is what explosives manufacturers started making after they stopped making nitroglycerine based TNT, which was more unstable than the current line of moldable, water gel explosives. Tovex is ubiquitous in commercial mining and demolition. Which is why McVeigh robbed a quarry to get the Tovex and PrimDet used in the bomb.

Hey, look at that...a criminal not giving a crap about laws concerning theft because his goal is to blow up a freaking building and kill hundreds of people.

Do you know how easy it is for private citizens to access explosives and accelerants? Hell, Pyrodex is more stable and burns cleaner than black powder, and anyone can buy it off the shelf at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. Black powder, Pyrodex, primer caps, etc...ever heard of the reloading hobby?

Take a look at what Mach1+ model rockets use for propellant. Another hobby that uses pretty serious stuff to make things go zippy. Hell, the nitromethane McVeigh used in his bomb was purchased at a race track, where it is used in high performance drag racing. Hobby stuff.

What set McVeigh apart, and Paddock in this latest case, was PREPARATION AND PLANNING. You can take away all the rights you want, but a sociopath with dedication to preparation and planning will still figure out how to carry out their evil. You simply cannot prevent it.

Do not expect any logical, intelligent reasoning from the antis nor to be actually knowledgeable about tools and technologies....is not part of their agenda....this is why they always end up on the losing side of the argument....

15,754 posts, read 7,623,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I want to implement a physiological evaluation before you can post on the internet.
why not, they do psychological exams before a person can get a job ...

Old 10-05-2017, 01:13 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/05/...ing-rates.html

Even the NRA believes they should be regulated.

As far as I'm concerned they can get rid of it....almost no gun owner care about full automatic fire....is pointless and wasteful for the hobby....

Old 10-05-2017, 01:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,150,598 times
Gun is not the problem. Man is the problem. But gun enhances the problem.

If Paddock lives in another strictly gun controlled society like Japan, China, England and Germany, he could still wreak havoc by planting bomb, crashing with truck or plane,...etc. But no way could he kill and hurt about 600 victims -- which is close to 10% of the toll in 911.

But we did find ways to prevent another similar tragedy to happen after 911. However, it seems that no politician is willing to do anything on the aftermath of Vegas mass shooting. We are just waiting for another mass shooting, most likely in a larger scale, to happen.

By that time, as usual we will just mourn the victims and hold vigil to show our solidarity. (But solidarity for what?)

Old 10-05-2017, 01:14 PM

14,042 posts, read 5,673,772 times
Does that molded piece of plastic look like something a 3d printer is incapable of, given the level of complexity 3d printers are currently capable of? Does it look like something that couldn't have a metal mold created to fabricate them on a large scale?

Knowledge and technology are out there, in the public domain. There are dozens of resources on the regular web that give detailed instructions on all sorts of bad things. FFS, McVeigh got a good chunk of his idea out of a single book. Do we outlaw books and knowledge too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies