Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 02:12 PM

276 posts, read 178,890 times

Advertisements

Bump stocks have been around for nearly a decade and to my knowledge this is the first time one has been used in a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The NRA is smart enough to know a good deal when they see it.
Absolutely! This does absolutely NOTHING to address gun violence and the NRA comes out of it looking reasonable and with the left owing them one in return. NRA wins again, lol.

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Gun control legislation, enacted, or proposed has ended the political career of many politicians. It is political suicide in the U.S. Citizens don't want to be disarmed, and easier prey for violent criminals.
When election time rolls around, all this tough talk on gun control will die down to a whisper, because nothing derails an election faster than a candidate talking about taking away or restricting rights. And whenever people vote, they tend by wide majorities to vote against anti-2A candidates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The police get there AFTER the crime, remember?
When seconds count, the police will be there in 15 minutes.

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
fine by me. kind of strange that they escaped the legal scrutiny in the first place.

they'll probably get these too.

https://www.galatiinternational.com/...ire-crank.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes we should make it as easy as possible for someone to modify a weapon. If it’s so easy why have the stocks been depleted. A real signature moment for the NRA, they finally came out against something and it only took this to get their attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The ATF under Obama at the time decided it was a part.

Post-Vegas, Conway blames Obama's ATF - CNNPolitics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What comes out of Kellyanne Conway’s mouth should never be considered factual, she has her own set of facts from her world. The GOP fought the ATF for the last 8 years and blocked the appointment of an admistrator, cut their staff. Besides as stated in your article it’s not clear they had the authority.
just because KC said it doesnt make it untrue. the fact is that the bump stocks were made legal during the obama administration, so the democrats own that.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/05/...ing-rates.html

Even the NRA believes they should be regulated.
Another reason I dont give money to the NRA. They're sellouts.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:15 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/05/...ing-rates.html

Even the NRA believes they should be regulated.

Take them. I wouldn't waste money for what I always thought was a stupid gimmick. Apparently it ended up being more than that. Either way, ban them , I have no problems with that.

The question is , will it stop at just those ?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I love New England. The landscape, the people, the history and culture. Its where the nation was birthed, and still remains a global epicenter of education and civility. Please people of New England, take the lead and make this happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Correct, I think that the only legal guns should be single-shot bolt-action rifles, revolvers, and double-barrel shotguns. I think this should've been put into place 50 years ago.

The only reason why "gun restrictions" would be ineffective is because they aren't restrictive enough.
you both have a big problem called the second amendment. it was created to PREVENT the government from regulating firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens. so all you need to do is get the second amendment repealed, and you are good to go.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Because I don't want police and national guard units unlawfully entering into peoples homes. But I do want more restrictive and enforced gun control measures. Not an outright ban but just measures that make sense in a first world nation in the 21st century.

Assuming this would happen, and being a law abiding citizen I would follow whatever rule was set in place. I own two shotguns myself and if I needed to hand those over, I would comply without struggle. Because I believe in the betterment of society, I believe in the rule of law and I actually love this country and don't want to see its people continue to suffer. Unlike those who profess to love this country but won't comprise in spite of the endless stream of dead Americans lying in the streets.
But Ken, it won't be unlawful as long as the people want it. Right? All I've ever heard from people on your side of the aisle is that we are a Democracy where the majority rules. If the majority within your state wants to rid itself of guns than so be it. But you're gonna' have to enforce it. Your own Senator Diane Feinstein once claimed that if she had the votes it would be: "Mr. and Mrs. America turn them all in". But it's okay for her to have a gun as she has a concealed carry permit. "Okay for me, but not for thee". It's Californians that elected her and others like her and keep on electing them. So it stands to reason that they would support that.

Who's to decide what sensible gun laws are? What people should or shouldn't be allowed to own? You? Who gave you that authority? If so then you're an authoritarian no different than the politicians you've elected to represent you. Passing laws that would criminalize law abiding people for the property they possess is holding them accountable for the behavior of others. Is that the kind of society you want to live in? That's not bettering society, that's giving up your freedom of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Not to mention all of our other legal protections enshrined in the Constitution to protect us from a tyrannical form of government. Including due process.

If the government can do that with guns they can do that with anything. Even if people are to turn their private property in willingly to avoid criminal penalties as you would. They're still being penalized by giving up there lawfully owned property based on the fear others have that they might do something bad someday.

What ever happened to the presumption of innocence? Are you willing to give that up to? If that's the case then you may as well incarcerate every man, women and child based on what they might do. As there are God only knows what other objects, substances and materials out there that can be used to commit mass murder and mayhem. My God, we just can't keep passing laws just to placate the fears of others, either real or imagined.

There are thousand's of federal, state and local firearms laws already on the books that address the criminal and negligent mis-use of firearms. Along with laws that address every criminal act imaginable. You think that just one more law or banning this or that will prevent someone from going on a suicide mission? Or find other methods to commit their acts?

I too love this country and the last thing I'd want is for it to be turned into an authoritarian police state. That's not what the founders of this country had in mind. It's the reason for the 2nd Amendment and Constitutional Law. It's worked since 1776 there's no need to change it.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What if you didn't need to sell them. Which I don't.
Why would you need multiple guns for the same thing other than collection purposes?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you both have a big problem called the second amendment.
I don't consider that a "problem" because I think that should be repealed.

Again, people claiming "it can't be done" are simply saying "I prefer mass shootings"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies