Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And individuals murder with knives, hammers, poison, baseball bats, hatchets, et al. The one common factor is none of those objects or guns do anything without an individual controlling them.
As do airplanes, cars, nuclear weapons, explosives, etc...

...do you favor regulations or no regulations an all of the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
How predictable.....I see the typical emotional, thoughtless, knee-jerk reaction every time a nutcase decides to do something terribly evil.

but keep crying "we need to take away guns!!!"
I see it too.
Why do you react like that.

Gun control =/= "take away the guns"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
What kind of reasoning is that?? Any tool can be used for killing....

168 dead, 700 injured, one person did it, no one shot fired.....let's ban fertilizers...
What kind of reasoning is it?
Should WalMart be allowed to sell explosives alongside fertilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Take away the Evil guns from Everyone!
Guess what?

All the nuts will run wild .. with Evil knives, slicing and dicing everyone who doesn't own an Evil knife!
(Mass murders 'have' happened with Evil knives)

Take Everyone's Evil knives away ....
Do you think he would have got more than 200 people with a knife?
Do you think a knife, a gun, and a nuclear weapon are equally dangerous?
Should they be regulated equally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How many children’s deaths would you accept before we ban cars and swimming pools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Don't we accept children dying by allowing swimming pools?

That would be a yes.
Curious, have you ever posted this in a Muslim/refugee thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
<>"Hey, how about we pass a law that people cant rob banks. There would be no bank robberies."
Worked for cocaine, right?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
From what I have read the guy didn't purchase a fully auto, he modified a semi auto. This could be wrong, of course, but it is what some news sources are reporting.

Which is harder than one thinks, with the AK, or AR platforms.
A few times, this thing got up on the pipe, firing faster than any M-16 platform(Modified AR)
It was in short cartridge mode. 9mm/45acp, or belt feed.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Worked for cocaine, right?
Yeah, they tend to ignore that prohibitions always fail.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:02 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Until guns run out of homes and start killing people, there isn't too much to talk about.

Not a single law would prevent a person from acquiring a gun and go on a killing streak.

"Hey, how about we pass a law that people cant rob banks. There would be no bank robberies."
Again this nonsense.

Yes, no single event is preventable. However on average, and quite obviously, the death rate would be much reduced by implementing a sensible control. Don't believe me? well as opposed to you I believe in statistics. I know very well, what happened after controls were introduced in Australia. I also know very well that any other first world country has a lower violent death rate. The end.

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
You didn't answer if you really believe a law would stop anyone from illegally buying guns.
Most guns are not bought illegally. So putting some reasonable restrictions on gun sales , like closing the gun show loophole, or apparently the ability to buy guns on the internet should have some effect.

No law solve or eliminates a problem in totality. But we could work towards reducing the epidemic of gun violence in America. It worked in Australia.

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
So, if someone makes a product that isn't designed to kill children but results in the death of thousands, you are not too concerned about it?

Those little bodies only have meaning when there is a bullet in them I see.
Who said that? Not I. You used swimming pools as a fallacious argument comparing to guns, not I.

All preventable deaths should concern everyone but moreso those deaths due to an instrument designed specifically and singularly to inflict harm that is of no use for any other purpose. Unless you drive tacks with yours.

You won't get me saying the banning of firearms is practical or even feasible at this late date. That horse has left the barn and the barn has burned to the ground. I feel it would be impossible and perhaps even foolhardy for any government to attempt to confiscate them.

As to those laws that are required to restrict ownership, firstly taking the hodge podge of various states and unifying them would be one step but enforcement is the key. Without enforcing the current ones, of what practical purpose is there in crafting new ones?

The argument with the most merit at THIS TIME in the history of the U.S. is the one that argues against the disarming of legal owners while leaving the facilities and intransigence in place that services the illegal owners.

That's just my opinion....yours may vary.

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Nothing will stop someone that wants to go on a killing spree, just someone killing him first. Marijuana illegal for years - still tons of potheads. Prostitution - illegal for years - tons of guys still get one anytime they want. Alcohol - Prohibition never worked, and never would.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:03 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Most people make rational decisions, not emotional decisions.
Right...and they don't buy guns, at least not 8 or 10 or 20. They aren't paranoid snowflakes that think everyone who looks different is a threat. They don't make ridiculous claims and nonsensical arguments that all we need are more guns. They don't stockpile numerous guns and a huge cache of ammunition. They aren't willing to dismiss and ignore the hundreds of people, adults and children, dying from gun violence. They don't place obstacles in the way to stop research into gun violence as a national health issue. They don't make ridiculous statements like "Guns don't kill people..." And they don't worship the NRA and parrot mindlessly what they say.

Rational people realize that we have a serious gun problem in this country and something needs to be done about it now.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:04 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Nothing will stop someone that wants to go on a killing spree, just someone killing him first. Marijuana illegal for years - still tons of potheads. Prostitution - illegal for years - tons of guys still get one anytime they want. Alcohol - Prohibition never worked, and never would.
Why doesn't WalMart sell pipe bombs or sarin gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies