Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 01:06 PM

5,803 posts, read 4,772,083 times

Advertisements

Gun control is just more laws. We already have countless laws regarding guns.

Adding even more laws won't do anything.

Criminals don't obey laws! Murder is already illegal... but that doesn't deter people now does it.

Guna are just a tool. If somebody wants to kill somebody, and a gun isn't available, they will just find another tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:21 PM

20,893 posts, read 8,699,048 times
The most shocking thing about that article is that the WashingPoo published it.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:35 PM

50,558 posts, read 47,382,764 times
Wow, But I can't endorse policies whose only selling point is that gun owners hate them.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:47 PM

3,347 posts, read 1,277,712 times
Another opinion article to reaffirm ones ideological bias and worldview.

Check out the recent Scientific American article on the issue of guns and then we'll talk. Overwhelming studies show more guns don't make us safer and in fact make situations more deadly. This is just a fact and a reason the rest of the developed world restricts gun use.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:48 PM

89,513 posts, read 45,181,130 times
Hmmmmm...
Quote:
Source: CDC and CRS Data

1993 to 2013: More Guns = Less Gun Crime

Guns aren't the problem. In fact, increased gun ownership corresponds to a reduction in gun homicides.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:51 PM

7,521 posts, read 4,393,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Uh, yeah.

You seem to forget that Hitler and Stalin signed a non aggression pact in 1939. They could have been allies except Hitler considered the Russians to be subhuman mongoloids. It wasn't until "Operation Barbarossa" in June of '41 that the war against Russia began. Followed by the siege at Leningrad in September which lasted 2 1/2 years and cost over a million lives. Just two years before "Operation Barbarossa" the Russians got their ass kicked in their war against the Fins who were better equipped for winter warfare. At that time famine was common place in the Soviet Union and their armed forces were all but decimated.

Operation "Lend Lease" also supplied the Soviets with food and supplies. Without which they may have starved let alone have the supplies to fight against Germany. So I'll stand by my statement that without the United States agricultural and industrial power the war would have been lost.

Although we only aided Russia out of necessity in order to defeat Germany. Germany could never succeed fighting a war on two fronts. The Soviets were never really our allies and in fact Stalin and Hitler were about equal when it came to committing atrocities against their own people. For Hitler it was genocidal, for Stalin it was paranoia against those that opposed him, his regime and his reign of terror. In fact when Germany first invaded Russia they were welcomed as liberators coming to save them from Stalin. Stalin at first had trouble getting them to fight for their own homeland.

I don't care what the Washington Post and their propagandists would have you believe. Those are historical facts not open to interpretation.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-04-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 907,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Too many people have accepted the normality of mass slaughter as a necessary sacrifice to an amendment written when guns held 1 bullet.
Taken from the suxe of the crowd that night, tge shooter was only less than 1% effective at his goal. Not only that, but there are over 200,000 cases where guns have been used in self defense.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,961,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Don't put words into my mouth, please. I've never said citizens don't have the right to keep and bear arms, nor would I.

Other Western democracies have the same rights, but those rights have limits necessary to the welfare of the public. As the Second Amendment states, the right to keep and bear arms, as part of a "well-regulated militia," will not be infringed.
true but you did say this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Interesting. Wonder if you'd be so philosophical about it all if, God forbid, your wife, one of your kids, or another family member was killed in a mass shooting. Somehow I have a feeling your wouldn't be.

It's all fun and games and the Constitution until it happens to YOU and YOURS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
As an American I enjoy many freedoms because of guns.

Like....

the freedom to be shot and killed at work
the freedom to be shot and killed at school
the freedom to be shot and killed at a concert
the freedom to be shot and killed at the mall
the freedom to be shot and killed at in my car
the freedom to be shot and killed at church
the freedom to be shot and killed at a party
the freedom to be shot and killed by my neighbor
the freedom to be shot and killed by a gangbanger
the freedom to be shot and killed by the police
the freedom to be shot and killed by my co-worker
the freedom to be shot and killed by anyone with a mental illness

These are freedoms people in other countries wish they had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Don't worry about Europe they do have freedoms you don't like the freedom to be raped and murdered without being able to adequately defend themselves.
lionking is right, you do get all those freedoms in other countries as well, so it is a non argument.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:05 PM

35,399 posts, read 17,312,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
As an American I enjoy many freedoms because of guns.

Like....

the freedom to be shot and killed at work
the freedom to be shot and killed at school
the freedom to be shot and killed at a concert
the freedom to be shot and killed at the mall
the freedom to be shot and killed at in my car
the freedom to be shot and killed at church
the freedom to be shot and killed at a party
the freedom to be shot and killed by my neighbor
the freedom to be shot and killed by a gangbanger
the freedom to be shot and killed by the police
the freedom to be shot and killed by my co-worker
the freedom to be shot and killed by anyone with a mental illness

These are freedoms people in other countries wish they had.
And taking away guns from law-abiding people would solve these problems how?

Old 10-04-2017, 02:10 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,938,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmmmm...
Source: CDC and CRS Data

1993 to 2013: More Guns = Less Gun Crime

Guns aren't the problem. In fact, increased gun ownership corresponds to a reduction in gun homicides.
I'm not certain there is a causal linkage, but it is interesting data nonetheless.

It's not clear if this is controlling for number of guns owned by people...it is possible the "guns per person" went up because a small number of people acquired a significant amount of guns. In that scenario, gun ownership as a portion of the population could have actually gone down. If that were the case, I don't see a causal linkage to "more guns" making us necesarilly "safer".

Of course, I'm just speculating - I'd like to see that data.

There are also many variables at play here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies